Golden Motor, Magic Controller V2 – Universal Controller

rick_p

100 W
I picked up this older controller and I think it has never been used. I tested it with a 48 volt battery and throttle and it worked but I have a few questions because the documentation I have found online is been pretty thin. I'm hoping someone has some experience with these. It appears there are a few model numbers for more or less the same controller but I'm not sure if there are differences between them. This one is an MX25 V2.0 -L

MX25-V2.0.jpg

Questions:

1. It has a PAS connector but I wasn't able to find any information about it. There isn't a connector for a display, so how does the PAS work? Does it only support one level or something?

2. The documentation I found says "you can force it to use lower voltages like 48v, 36v, and 24v". What does that mean exactly? Does it mean that by default it is set to 72 volt? I tested it briefly with a 48 volt battery and it seemed to work nicely and throttle smoothly with no load, but I decided to wait for an answer to this question before riding it under load in case it needs to be programmed for 48 volt, I don't want to damage my wheel or battery.

3. Speaking of programming, I don't see a port for that on the controller, and from the posts I found about this controller on the Golden Motor website, it requires a special (expensive) cable and probably not worth pursuing.

Any and all guidance is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
I know on the generic controllers I got, on some of them you just solder over tabs on the pcb. Its a crude way of doing it, on other controllers I programmed it in like I believe the Lyen but I didnt have that one for long.

Where are the links for the info you have?

Where are the links for the info you have?
The info is sparse and on different sites, but on the Golden Motor page for this product there is some info and a picture of the usb cable, which looks like it might fit on the controller by removing one of the connectors that is normally used for connecting things like the throttle, brakes, etc. Magic Controller V2 - Universal Controller - Golden Motor North America - Canada and United States

There is a decent amount of information here but not complete. One interesting thing on this page is there is a video where someone shows the software application screen and the voltage choices don’t include 72 volts, which would be a good thing for me, but the controller model in the video is different from the one for sale (and mine) even though it looks exactly the same. 25A 24V-48V universal emb bldc motor controller - UU Motor

There is other information available if you search the number of the controller in the video, but there’s no telling if they are all the same.

Questions:

1. It has a PAS connector but I wasn't able to find any information about it. There isn't a connector for a display, so how does the PAS work? Does it only support one level or something?

2. The documentation I found says "you can force it to use lower voltages like 48v, 36v, and 24v". What does that mean exactly? Does it mean that by default it is set to 72 volt? I tested it briefly with a 48 volt battery and it seemed to work nicely and throttle smoothly with no load, but I decided to wait for an answer to this question before riding it under load in case it needs to be programmed for 48 volt, I don't want to damage my wheel or battery.

3. Speaking of programming, I don't see a port for that on the controller, and from the posts I found about this controller on the Golden Motor website, it requires a special (expensive) cable and probably not worth pursuing.

Any and all guidance is greatly appreciated.

Hi rick_p,

No hands-on experience with this controller, but a few thoughts.

#1... As you indicate, it seems to me that the choice of PAS levels is only accessed thru the communication software. Giving you a choice of one of three available levels. High, medium, or low. Being able to use just one per programming. :(

#2... I too only saw a choice up to 48 volts. But perhaps you missed this tid bit...

"Special explain the voltage option for 60v controller. If you select 24v, the controller will work with 24v to 60v battery, if you choose 36v, the controller will work with 36v to 60v battery, and if you choose 48v, the controller will work with 48v to 60v battery."

As seen on a programming screenshot example here...
Programming Manual PDF

#3... It appears to me that communication interface connects to S2,S3, and Z/0v pins. If the software is still available for download. I'm sure you could work out the TTL communication dongle wiring, if you so desired.

As far as a guidance recommendation...

Make a post on the Golden Motors Forum...
Golden Motor Forum

You will find that "Bikemad" is an excellent source of knowledge on all things Pie.

Regards,
T.C.

#1... As you indicate, it seems to me that the choice of PAS levels is only accessed thru the communication software. Giving you a choice of one of three available levels. High, medium, or low. Being able to use just one per programming. :(
I think you are right, and I hope the default is medium because it also has a cruise control feature, so between those two things that might be enough pedal assist features for me.
#2... I too only saw a choice up to 48 volts. But perhaps you missed this tid bit...

"Special explain the voltage option for 60v controller. If you select 24v, the controller will work with 24v to 60v battery, if you choose 36v, the controller will work with 36v to 60v battery, and if you choose 48v, the controller will work with 48v to 60v battery."

As seen on a programming screenshot example here...
Programming Manual PDF
I did miss that, and it sounds like it auto-detects the voltage, or is at least safe to run it with a 48 volt battery without having to use the software to set it. Yay
#3... It appears to me that communication interface connects to S2,S3, and Z/0v pins. If the software is still available for download. I'm sure you could work out the TTL communication dongle wiring, if you so desired.
I don’t think I’m going to attempt fabricating a USB cable (communication dongle) for it, it sounds like it’s workable as-is out of the box.

I thank everyone for the support and will post a follow up when it’s installed.

Back