• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Greentime Controller high top speed

pdooley

10 W
I have an ebay 48V 1000W rear hub motor kit on my 26in wheel mountain bike. The original controller failed, so I ordered a Greentime from Ali.
http://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/6461129566.html?orderId=65524896386552

Top speed with the previous controller was 28mph as measured by the digital radar sign in our neighborhood. Unfortunately some motorist plowed that sign down.
Testing with the greentime controller, the bike feels like a rocketship. I don't know my top speed, by my pack(12s lipo, 15AH) wears down quite a bit earlier in my commute.
Does anybody have experience with this controller and know the top speed? I know that will depend on the bike and rider, but just a ballpark?

Seller sent me this picture to help with wiring. I see there is a 3 wire plug for speed control. I guess some sequence of jumping will provide different speeds.
Greentime%2Bcontroller%2BHTB1D1.jpg

Well, lets see. First of all you linked a 1,000w, not 1,500w, so assuming that's the one you're getting and the voltage is still 48v it's supposed to be unchanged. The old controller might not have lived up to it's billing. The photograph is this controller. http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/High-Quality-GREENTIME-15-Mosfets-48-84V-1500W-Dual-mode-Sensor-Sensorless-Brushless-DC-Motor-Controller/313864_32218294528.html

If you look up EvolutionGTS you'll see he's run the Greentime 72v/1,500w on the 48v/1,000w hubs that should be the same as yours and approached 50mph.

With a 1000w original controller, you were likely near your top speed for that voltage, but with a new 1500 watt controller, you have 50% more power, so your torque will be 50% high, and acceleration will be 50% quicker... and you'll eat your battery that much faster.

With 50% more torque, you should be faster on hills, but your actual top speed on flat ground shouldn't have changed. That is based on your voltage.

That controller gives a maximum of 45A. 1000w ones normally give about 25A, so you now have nearly twice the piwer, which is why you go faster and use up your battery more quickly.

Something tells me you could burn a 1000W 9C motor with that controller if you're not somewhat careful and aware of how much power it delivers? Do you use a power meter to know how many Amps it's really pulling off the line, up hills, etc?

well, you guys made me take a closer look. my order from Ali was for a 1000w controller, but the unit I received is marked as 1500W. When I asked for wiring info from the seller, he sent me the picture for the 1500W controller, so he must have known he shipped it instead of the 1000W.

All this is fine with me as long as I can set it for lower power consumption. Otherwise I will need to add another 5AH of battery to make my trip. And then there's the possible motor damage...

The controller has a 3 wire connector with black/blue/orange wires. Apparently these wires can be connected in various configurations to get 50%, 100% and 120% power output. I contacted the seller for clarification but have not heard back yet.

Does anybody know how to set this up for lower power output?

BTW, this is the one I ordered: http://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/6461129566.html?orderId=65524896386552

45amp can melt your motor. So be careful how long you go wot. So 30 to 35 amps would be easier on the motor and battery. A lot of the extra amps go to heat. Yes a three speed switch should tame it.

Normally you need an on/off/on switch. One of the wires is a signal ground. That should be connected to the center post of the switch. With the switch off, in center position, it's normally the 100% setting. flip the other ways uses those settings.

Thanks Wes.
I figured black was ground but just didn't want to damage anything.
I'll hook up a cycle speedo and see if the power settings affect top speed.

I just got this same controller. To wire the controller's ignition, do you just join the 2 "ignition wires" together? Mine is colored blue and black.

pdooley said:
Seller sent me this picture to help with wiring. I see there is a 3 wire plug for speed control. I guess some sequence of jumping will provide different speeds.
Greentime%2Bcontroller%2BHTB1D1.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20150922_153254.jpg
    IMG_20150922_153254.jpg
    330.6 KB · Views: 3,263
Yes, that's what a switch does, opens and closes a circuit.

It has the three-speed switch that goes to 120%, so you can get even more speed if you need it compared with normal controllers. Those that go to 120% alter the timing to give a speed boost. You don't need a three-speed switch. You can test it by joining the middle (black?) wire to each of the other two in turn. One way it will slow down, the other will make it speed up. With nothing connected, you get normal operation (100%). You can then use a normal switch just between the right two wires.

If you try that, please let us know the results.

Just bought 1 for my gio pb-710 gutless, from Ali some of the controller's buyer pics had dates some did not .One guy said hi/lo brakes didn't work,is hi/lo for abs brakes witch i don't have, should i leave them disconnected ? and Doe's any 1 have a schematic wiring diagram for a gio pb 710?

Attachments

• HTB1lXnsLFXXXXbEXFXXq6xXFXXXo.jpg
    HTB1lXnsLFXXXXbEXFXXq6xXFXXXo.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 2,422
I have 3 of these controllers All the same 1500 Watts .I liked them so much I recommended it to my friend And hooked his up For him.I'll start by giving the my best answer to the original question of this thread.The controller defaults at 100% Without Using the 3 speed switch. You can over clock it To 120% Or reduce it to 80 Percent. The confusion comes with the thought of 3 speeds ,Whereas the misconception Is the third speed Default 100% .So if you count that missing wire That is already set To default at 100% The math would add up And you could easily understand The black is for common ground Whereas one of the 2 wires in the 3 speed plug Would be 80 Any other 120% I hope that helps :roll:

My battery fully charged is 56 volts 19 amps Lipos ,Rated 50 amp continuous 100 amp Max peak. As I am still fairly new to E biking ,
Last summer It was 90 degrees out And I had my controller In a diamond Shaped center Carry a bag ,The controller got so flipping hot It was uncomfortable to touch ,I'm still using that controller today And shocked as hell nothing fried on it. I have not tried the 120% power Because I feel I am already over volting The motor And wires. I am more comfortable Knowing my investment Will work each day Rather than pushing it another 20% That can end up Damaging My bike .

I will recommend this controller to anybody It is well worth the money And suitable for 1000 to 1500 Watt. So one thing I don't understand Is when people say It will overheat the motor Or the motor is getting too hot. For the first 6 months I was new 2 electric bikes I checked the temperature Up the motor and all the wires By feel Almost everyday After each ride. I never once found That the motor got more than warm Even in a summer day . Don't get me wrong There were areas in my wiring That were s***** Connections And I got hot ,But Sense then I have Got rid of All the crappy Splices And don't have that problem anymore. So if anybody Has information With a similar setup And facts About the actual motor Getting hot I am curious To hear more .

I'm a little bit Upset Because Like I said I have 3 of these controllers And hooked one up for my friend Come to find out His electric breaks Work just fine But for the life of me I can't get mine to work Using the same Brake lever Cut off switch And closing That connection For regen( Orange plug )I'm perplexed Why mine won't work As you can see There's not much to confuse here. Today I hooked up a voltmeter To the orange plug And it reads .4 volts - 5.6 volts Between Zero And 100% throttle ,I have verified The cut off switch Is working I believe it is a Normally open switch And test good With my voltmeter Open And closed position.
Is there any ideas or recommendations On what I can do to get this fixed.I have contacted the seller His product is great but customer service is like pulling teeth.I have Received 3 responses From him About this And today He requested pictures Of how I hooked it up , But Still Awaiting His response :bolt:

Back