Guerilla Charge

By the same token, why lie? It disturbs me that this thread seems to have an undercurrent of dishonesty attached to it. If they don't let you charge, there's always the next joint anyway..... its definitely their loss.

I figure that any server, continuing the being at a restaurant or other place theme,is plenty busy and really doesn't need to hear about my electric bike battery etc., and I would only specifically ask to be plugged in if I couldn't figure how and where to do it myself. I'd call it not giving them more information then they need rather then lying. How about "can I plug this in?" period. Let then draw their own conclusions. Oh yeah, "it's not a bomb!" Probably best not to recharge in airport terminals these days. :shock:

With a bit over 500 miles total on three bikes, I have yet to need an on the go charge elsewhere, all my riding has been recharged from my home solar system to date. This thread has me looking forward to the need ! My setup, having 3 bikes with three batteries all the same, may give me a bit more flexibility when on the road. I can see plugging one battery in while riding off and doing something else while charging.

here is my BIRIA EPLUS happily charging /eating/ at Edmonton Board Of Education elementary school paid by property taxes.
It is all possible because of ebikes are sort of novelty , unknown animal , rare here.
Imagine if 4 ebikes wanted to charge at the same time ,
I do NOT want ebikes become popular in NAmerica.
No way it could have been possible in politically correct Western Europe crazy Gemany or Swiden, or ...
Guerilla charging all depends where in the world you are!!!

Riding home from my first trip into town to my crane yard, my first guerilla charge. Only 13 miles, but coming back I have a 1200' gain at the very end, a 12% grade. So, I stopped at the local watering hole and got a cold one plus a few amps. This was the first time I used the 5 amp setting on my Luna charger, all else has been at the 3 amp setting. I wanted the beer more then I needed the charge, it was a 10 hr day in the crane, with the high that day at 93 degrees, plus I had a bit of headwind for the ride back. it was more a precautionary few amps.

cranplaneguy,

you are confusing something here.
That's not guerilla charging to me, it is not stealth charging
you pay for it.

Guerilla charging for 48V 30Ah+ batteries the need for a 48V 1500W+ psu (30A) is well worth the money spent. Then you could spend an hour charging and add 1500Wh to the pack.

^^^^ That is better then trying to sort out 2 outlets on separate circuits and using 2+ server psu's.

The only way around it, is a dc-dc step-up converter rated at 1500W 50A, which would set you 48V 31A and they seem to be selling for around $80(cdn).

So this would solve my issue's, but who knows what voltage it can spit out for 50A, most likely only 30Vmax for 50A to achieve the limit of 1500W. So for 48V it would be 30A, 1500W. frock it I may buy it, solves a lot of my issues
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/1500W-50A-DC-Boost-Converter-Step-up-Power-Supply-Module-IN-10-5-60V-OUT-15-70V-/252553726589?hash=item3acd600a7d:g:xYgAAOSwCGVX5UUj

There is also the Eaton 48V 1100W 23A for $200(cdn), or the ELTEK 1800W 48V 30A for just over $200(cdn).

I had some hero puffy chest maintenance guy (whether for the strip mall or walmart, probably walmart) today ask if I paid for the power, I was on the phone talking away and didnt really hear him but I politely said no, and he unplugged my charger charging away. I stay on the phone for another minute, then got ready to move, gave him the long stare when he was 40' away, saying to self, what an odd fella. No big deal. After the fact I should have gave him 5 cents or come up with some other witty remark, but I was too serene after a day of fishing.

I baby sit my stuff now as I had some crack head steal my battery and chargers right in front of me, he twisted off the zip ties, the gorilla tape one stayed but maybe because he only had two arms plus a brown bmx bike, late teens I'd say, sort hair. I'd offer him $30 for my stuff back cuz he cant sell that stuff. I only saw the rear wheel about 15-20' away. I saw the crack head as I rolled up. My insticts were to go to mcdonalds not hd, second instinct was to put the bike in full view. No big deal, old battery anyways, and chargers were $10 each. Metal zip ties. Came up with a permanent solution, weld a battery box onto the frame so there is no twisting action, U-shaped upper for around the top bar of bicycle. Also to buy some audible alarms for movement.

Lurkin said:
izeman said:
999zip999 said:
We are talking about 8-12 cents usd. Who gives a rat's ass.
so how much should it be to be relevant?
because despite technical discussion about whether it constitutes theft or not, most people have a pragmatic approach to life. 12 cents is not material to most, hence, it would get overlooked.

Its gets subjective with different people and different amounts/materiality thresholds, but could explain the difference in opinion in this thread. That and how concerned forum users about sticking to legal principles, which on this forum, is reasonably ironic.

If anything, its interesting that vendor has refused access to power, despite being a customer there and reinforces that there is probably a perception of 'needing a charge' = needs loads of electricity and would be material (makes sense if you consider the cost to 'fill up' a fossil fuels vehicle). I've found this interesting because it goes to show its worth asking first, and really not worth the trouble if someone decides you are 'mass power thief to be stopped at all costs' because as earlier discussed, without permission, it could quite easily legally constitute theft despite being over peanuts.

Bringing back the dead with this one!
I've found over time that the cost of electricity is generally not well understood beyond "it costs money". Hence if you are using it without permission, your taking it without permission... doesn't end well.

Find places where its permitted.. such a better outcome.

Back