Hailong battery case mods for BMS?

I have a Hailong style battery 52v 17.5 aH from BafangUSADirect that needed a BMS replacement.
They were out and so I used a Vruzen 52v BMS.
The case apparently needs a thinner, slimmer BMS and the Vruzen BMS leaves the case about 12mm from closing.
Its power wires also come about 4-5mm up from the BMS and I would like them not to press on the case,
and the cell pack sensor wires are also much thicker interfering with the fit of the front of the case.
The case top rested on the battery retainer frame, holding it in place and made it very secure.

I'm not excited to start carving on the case, but I may need to put a "penthouse" for the BMS and
or furr it up internally.
Are these known to be ABS or other plastic?
I looked into the "whale" cases, but they have a different frame mount, which are not the same as this and my other batteries.
The notion of a frame bag and two different types of mount is, um, inelegant.

Any suggestions or similar experience?

ALSO,the new BMS lacks an On/off switch.
COULD I SWITCH THE TEMP SENSOR so that it would also be an On/off ?
If it was NC I could put a switch inline , if Normally Open I could use a switch to short it.
?GOOD or BAD idea?

Many packed cells into Hailong cases designed for fewer cells. They just glue the mass of cells to each other. A crap build!
Reention Shark cases are designed for 52V builds.

onemorejoltwarden said:
I have a Hailong style battery 52v 17.5 aH from BafangUSADirect that needed a BMS replacement.
They were out and so I used a Vruzen 52v BMS.
The case apparently needs a thinner, slimmer BMS and the Vruzen BMS leaves the case about 12mm from closing.
Its power wires also come about 4-5mm up from the BMS and I would like them not to press on the case,
and the cell pack sensor wires are also much thicker interfering with the fit of the front of the case.
The case top rested on the battery retainer frame, holding it in place and made it very secure.

I'm not excited to start carving on the case, but I may need to put a "penthouse" for the BMS and
or furr it up internally.
Are these known to be ABS or other plastic?
I looked into the "whale" cases, but they have a different frame mount, which are not the same as this and my other batteries.
The notion of a frame bag and two different types of mount is, um, inelegant.

Any suggestions or similar experience?

ALSO,the new BMS lacks an On/off switch.
COULD I SWITCH THE TEMP SENSOR so that it would also be an On/off ?
If it was NC I could put a switch inline , if Normally Open I could use a switch to short it.
?GOOD or BAD idea?

Try squeezing the bms on one side. IIR those hailong pack have a space on the back of one side where you can squeete in a 10mm thick bms. Better than the usual build, where you put in on top of the cells.

@tomjaz this is a decent build with cell carrier and welding. from BafangUSAdirect
BMS was a total POS, failed by shorting the P- to a mosfet from factory solder blob.
thin replacement $80+ship, and not in stock from BUD. Their customer support was not very good.

@ qwerkus I can get ~7mm, need 13. or at least 10.
Sigh

? any thoughts on using the temp sensor as a BMS off on switch?

Case materials for gluing up a "penthouse" extension for the BMS? ABS? or polystyrene?

Other mounting thoughts is to strap the battery to the lower case and just use the top case as a cover
with a tape seal, spacers to keep it off the BMS, and use a rain cover to hide my work.
Keeps the connections and the lock

You wrote, “ this is a decent build with cell carrier and welding. from BafangUSAdirect”. Follows by a POS BMS review. It’s either crap or decent. BTW Bafang USA is not apart of Bafang corporation. 52v Hailong builds are craptastik.

@tomjasz
Appreciate all your posts and insight across this and other topics.

My understanding is that "Hailong" is just the case, and are used by a lot of manufacturers,
some of whom are more "price sensitive" and there is almost no assurance of quality and lots of counterfeiting.

It may even have been copied enough that "Hailong" is just a style, or form, and not from a specific source.
That said the cases may be used in a fab by anyone, and the case parts and mounting may not be compatible across brands.
I am not impressed by the mounting of this style of battery , esp in larger sizes.
Waterbottle mounts are meant for waterbottles. 16oz

BafangUSADirect is clearly not associated with Bafang other than as a vendor.

The pack I have has a good cell support frame, Samsung labeled (and hopefully real deal) cells, welded in well and a solid case.
The BMS was an odd piece of garbage, as noted above.

And, yes, it's binary in that it works or it don't.

The case has a small space allowance for the BMS and won't fit many of the ones on the market,
especially those with a heat sink and generously sized FET's.

Whether this was a one off, bad day at the factory for the new guy , a failure of QC, or welded by space lasers, I can't say.
With the VRUZEND BMS, it is happy and I have gotten it revived, and performs well.
It seems capable of being a good 60mile 52v pack for me.

BafangUSADirect has not been helpful in getting any clues as to its provender or support and it appears a recent sale.

I wouldn't want to rag on them if it was a DOA and replaced for the original purchaser, who was told to dispose of it rather than return it, especially given the problems with shipping LiPo, but still sloppy follow up by BUD, with whom I am very disappointed.

There are a lot of recalls on the market where the vendor does not follow up and the defective merch ends up on the market,
rather than being destoyed.

I am descended from pawn brokers who were always on the alert, and taught me,
"If you don't know diamonds , know your jeweler."

If I had paid retail for this bat ( $650 plus ship), I would have been pretty disappointed, but for what I have in it, it was worthwhile.

Thanks again

Back