Hall effect throttle to 5k pot?

oofnik

100 W
I have a Turnigy servo driver that I'm planning to use on my R/C e-bike. Inside is a 5k pot that adjusts the servo signal output duty cycle. I measured the wiper voltage to vary between .42 and 4.56V. If I desolder the pot from the servo driver and wire in a hall effect twist grip throttle, does anyone see why this would not work? The throttle has three wires like the pot : +5V, gnd, signal. Signal varies from about 1.0V to 4.65V. If anyone has any objections let me know. :D Thanks.

Update: It works.
Instead of soldering it in to where the pot was, I connected the +5 and gnd to the throttle, and the signal directly to the ATmega chip, pin 22 (ADC7). Before removing the pot I carefully mapped out and found which pin was changing with the sweeper, which would be the ADC input. I then even more carefully soldered a tiny lead on to the pin, going to the output of the hall sensor. I ran out of alligator clips to test with the motor and ESC :evil: but the indicator light comes on just like it would for the pot. Now I just need to figure out a more secure connection and I'll call it a success! :D

EDIT: Corrected the pin number.

I think you would at least want to disconnect the wiper on the old pot. You could just snip it off (depending on the style).

Your modification sounds somewhat like what i might be doing to utilize a single hall effect throttle to regulate two controllers and their independent motors. I saw a wiring diagram on another thread and am wondering if you can comment on it in any way or compare it to what you did.
Here is the link: http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=9534&start=135
I'm new to all this stuff and am trying to combine some available parts from two identicle e-scooters to make the powerplant for a flying machine. They used 500w motors, a controller and a hall effect throttle, all at 36V, or so it seems from the labeling and batteries. I ordered a turnigy 3 channel servo tester to being my education into how these things work. I'm waiting to hear from anyone on whether Richard's throttle box would work with my plan. Any info you might offer would sure be appreciated. Thanks ez-paratwin

Back