Harley Baja Dirtbike Build 72V

bernietime

1 mW
Hello Everyone!

I was selling one of my electric Vespas on Craigslist and someone replied asking if I would be interested in converting their 70s Harley dirtbike to electric. Yes, Harley made a dirt bike (through a licensing agreement with an Italian company). I said yes!

Here are some before pics:

And here is a pic of an old magazine ad for the Harley Baja. Pretty cool!

The owner pulled the engine to sell on eBay before he dropped the frame off with me. BTW, the bike was about 75% complete when he decided to convert it. If you have ever bought a 75% complete project before, you know (like me) that the final 25% takes the longest and costs the most. With that in mind, the EV conversion makes a lot of sense.

Attachments

• baja before.jpg
    baja before.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0126.jpg
    IMG_0126.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_9334.JPG
    IMG_9334.JPG
    223.7 KB · Views: 19
Reactions: MDG
If you have ever bought a 75% complete project before, you know (like me) that the final 25% takes the longest and costs the most.
Especially since very commonly some significant part of the first 75% is done wrong or doens't have the right parts to do the job the project needs to do for you.... ;)

Hell yeah man! Stoked on this build. I’m wrapping up two builds then gonna do a klr250 conversion

Especially since very commonly some significant part of the first 75% is done wrong or doens't have the right parts to do the job the project needs to do for you.... ;)
So true! Beware of anything for sale that "ran when parked" or "needs an afternoon of work" very rarely is true.

Next steps on the conversion. Got the hub motor laced with spokes and a rim.
This is a QS motor 4000W 273 Spoke motor. cost around $600 with shipping to get to my door. Rim + spokes + tire + install was another $609. Ouch. BUT for around $1200 for a complete motor ready to go, that's not terrible I suppose.

baja motor.jpg
Here's the motor installed in the swingarm (note that it is sitting upside down in this pic and isn't bolted down, just mocked up):
baja swingarm assymb.jpg

Finally, here it is installed! Looks nice:
baja half way.jpg

Reactions: MDG
Ok, for everyone following along and wanting a full break down of the build (plus riding footage), here's a video I made of the whole process!
Enjoy!

Back