Here is a letter I had to send out tonight. (long) (UPDATE!)

If I was inclined to spend any additional time on it, my focus would be how to educate the local police and sheriff personnel about the legalities of electric bikes in your jurisdiction. They have better things to do than hassle ebikers and no one wants some kind of tragic incident over a perfectly legal electric bike where an officer and a rider cross paths both in the wrong moods and the citizen insists on standing up strongly for his rights.

While a few officers may see a news story about ebikes, it would do more to educate the citizens, but it's the ill informed officers who are the actual source of potential conflict.

I'm sorry that you had to go through this kind of horsepuckee. I have to commend you on keeping your cool. I wish It never happens to me, I would probably end up in jail. If that cop was talking to me like that and then told me to take off on my bike and he'll pretend he won't look, I'm afraid I would have put my hands behind my back and my face down on the hood of his cruiser and told him that after all he said to me that with all due respect, IT IS HIS DUTY to give me those tickets and bring me in for having a concealed weapon. We'll both get to discuss this again in front of a judge and a couple reporters. Yep! I hope it never happens to me, you are way better than I am I tell ya!

Know ur rights:

You will love this video as a cyclist completely destroys a lame ass cop with superior intellect :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNwnfqEMkOo&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Sent using Endless-Sphere Mobile app

Why did you give them this in your letter?

*****(2) BICYCLE.—Every vehicle propelled solely by human power, and every motorized bicycle propelled by a combination of human power and an electric helper motor "capable" of propelling the vehicle at a speed of not more than 20 miles per hour on level ground upon which any person may ride, having two tandem wheels, and including any device generally recognized as a bicycle though equipped with two front or two rear wheels....****

Unless you are running like a 250W frock and they check this, you lose. Case closed.

JohnC say:
“Keep low profile, enemy may be low on ammunition” 8)

JohnC said:
Why did you give them this in your letter?

*****(2) BICYCLE.—Every vehicle propelled solely by human power, and every motorized bicycle propelled by a combination of human power and an electric helper motor "capable" of propelling the vehicle at a speed of not more than 20 miles per hour on level ground upon which any person may ride, having two tandem wheels, and including any device generally recognized as a bicycle though equipped with two front or two rear wheels....****

Unless you are running like a 250W frock and they check this, you lose. Case closed.

JohnC say:
“Keep low profile, enemy may be low on ammunition” 8)

Case re-opened

I included it, as that IS the LAW! (Remember, I've said I'm FULLY LEGAL!)
I have my speed limited, it's called a (Stand Alone) Cycle Analyst.. :)
If you're not aware of that device, google it...

I also run a 36v 10a controller, so unless I have wind behind me and I'm going downhill.. (which by the way, wouldn't be level ground)...
It's impossible for me to go over 20.

NOW.. It's case closed ;)

P.S. The "issue" here is not speed capabilities, but that the officer (incorrectly) assumed, that if it had ANY kind of motor on it, that's it's a "motor vehicle" and that's just not true. (At least here in Florida, which is where I live).

End of line.

Nice law. Speed limit, no watt limit. So no limit on being able to climb a hill, or how fast you reach 20 mph.

Watt limits are stupidiy, unless they are set at 5 hp or so.

dogman said:
Nice law. Speed limit, no watt limit. So no limit on being able to climb a hill, or how fast you reach 20 mph.

Watt limits are stupidiy, unless they are set at 5 hp or so.

Yeah, funny enough, according to that law, it looks like I could ride 50mph UPhill... LOL

Here is the response I received from the officers direct commander in charge..
(Not the Chief of Police), but I'll take what I can get.

*******Sangesf,

This is Sgt. with the Police Dept.  I am in receipt of your letter to the Chief about your recent encounter on a traffic stop with Ofc.  I appreciate the reference material you have provided and will re-educate my officers on the Statutes pertaining to electric powered bicycles.  I understand you were frustrated and inconvenienced, and I apologize that you feel you have had a negative experience with the Police Dept. however, I have spoken to the officer in this matter and any issues have been resolved.  I assure you, that all Police Officers are trained professionals and that any officer you meet will act with professionalism in accordance with their duties.

In addition I apologize for the informality of an email but there was no telephone number listed on your letter or I would have contacted you by phone.  Should you have any concerns in the future please feel free to contact the Police Dept. *************

(There was a phone number, but no biggie). 

I also called the Sgt and spoke with him for about 15 mins explaining why I sent the letter and he was very apologetic (as best can be done by a police officer, so I applaud him for that) for the way I was treated. 
(And yes, as everyone guessed, (and in my opinion, was inferred, by the Sgt) that when I "corrected" the original officer, he didn't like it and that's when he started with the confrontational attitude..)
I was assured that during their next roll call, a memo regarding electric bicycles will be brought up..

So.. I'm happy so far..

There you go. It looks like Florida does have a decent community relations department, and it's not even pro-forma as I expected. Congrats on getting a good response.

[youtube]PNwnfqEMkOo[/youtube]
Batfinks vid
Everything is correct IF they hadn't run a red.
The fact he did run a red means he was obligated to provide ID.
Of course it was also the cops job to state he was obligated to provide it specifically because he committed an offense of running a red.

Now I suspect he didn't RUN a red but merely did a brief standing stop with no feet on the ground and the bike cop took it as an opportunity to fill his ticket quota.

Interestingly enough....

I got another email, this morning...

Sangesf,
I am the acting District 2 Commander and Ofc's supervisor, if you would like, I will meet with you on Mon/Tues for a more personal review of your complaint...

With the bike I posted the pictures of earlier in the thread, had an amusing encounter with the police. I was riding around the City Park when a motorcycle cop stopped me. Saw the bike and asked me all kinds of questions about electric bikes an thought my bike was really cool. So cool he wanted to take it for ride around the lake. Said sure, he said watch my bike, got on my bike and was about to take off when he got a call. Cussing he got off and went to his call. The only police contact with this bike. I had modded it to 36 volts from 24, a guy on a moped said I was doing 25mph on the flat. Fun bike. It was using SLA, I can imagine range and less voltage sag on LifePo.

Ray

Here is a older video of my bike.. since then, I've only run the front motor as the rear controller/motor crapped out.
(and yeah, it's the same as yours, only a tad more "built up"...But Still FULLY LEGAL IN FLORIDA!!)
I have recently changed it around as my old watt meter crapped out, so I got a stand alone cycle analyst, and I'm only running 36v with a 10a controller (to extend range).
I have this on another thread, but here it is again..

[youtube]iX1lwRFUTkQ[/youtube]

Enjoy..

P.S. The reason the link didn't work, is that I just copy and pasted the original letter which had truncated the links..

Sangesf,
I am the acting District 2 Commander and Ofc's supervisor, if you would like, I will meet with you on Mon/Tues for a more personal review of your complaint...

Remember what Admiral Ackbar says...... It's a TRAP!

Lessss said:
Now I suspect he didn't RUN a red but merely did a brief standing stop with no feet on the ground and the bike cop took it as an opportunity to fill his ticket quota.

That was what my very first ticket was for when I got my moped license at age 14. I think the cop felt entitled to hassle me because I was a minor.
Officer: "You didn't stop at the stop sign."
Me: "I did stop."
Officer:"I didn't see you put your foot down."
Me: I didn't put my foot down, but I did come to a complete stop."
Officer: "How am I supposed to know if you stopped unless I see you put your foot down?"
Me: "The same way you know a car has stopped without seeing the driver put a foot down?"
[penalty buzzer]
Pointing out that a cop is doing something wrong or foolish never helps the situation. The cop wrote the ticket and I had to go to traffic court and explain that a moped has a lower center of gravity than a motorcycle or a bicycle and is easy to stop and start without putting a foot down. I'm not sure if the judge believed me or just wanted to get on with the docket, but he dismissed the ticket and suggested that I might save myself potential grief if I at least pretend to put a foot down in the future. :roll:

Back