• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Help ca3 no power to hub

doggydowg

100 mW
Hello all

I've recently bought an ebike and bought a ca3 for it. The controller is a green time 24fet and has had cycle analyst plug fitted by previous owner.

The throttle was wired direct into the greentime controller but I couldn't take advantage of all the perks of the ca3 so I've had my throttle wired directly into the ca3.

Now the bike won't move, when I turn the throttle I get readings In 0.84 and 4.25 no throttle and full throttle

Out reads 1.00 no throttle and 3.65 full throttle.

Please help I am not electricly minded I know I could rejoin the throttle back to the green time controller but then it just wheelies and I can't adjust power etc.

Thanks Paul.

Gee - your first stop should have been to the Grin Tech site to the V3 page or the documents page in search of a manual. Both of these pages link you directly to the Unofficial User Guide. The Guide is a little techie but has the answers you seek. Failing that, emailing ebikes.ca will get the knowledgeable Technical Support that comes with the Cycle Analyst...

That said, this pretty much tells the story:

doggydowg said:
The controller is a green time 24fet and has had cycle analyst plug fitted by previous owner.

The throttle was wired direct into the greentime controller...
The Guide explains the differences, but the gist is that all CA-DP connectors are not the same. The previous owner almost certainly modded the controller to run a CA V2 so you will likely need to follow the instructions to hook up a CA V3 to a CA V2-compatible controller. The Guide presents several ways to do this depending on your needs and skill level.

Since you have already been messing with the CA, you have lost the default settings - the Guide expects these defaults. Your best bet is to either flash it to virgin condition or use the Setup Utility to restore defaults. While this isn't strictly necessary, it is the easiest strategy to use the Guide successfully.

• FWIW: The Guide is not written as a reference manual - it is an installation manual and expects that you will follow the installation steps in order. Difficulties can arise if you skip around looking for a quick fix or make other settings not called out specifically, so just follow the steps - most address alternative installations and get skipped so there really ends up being only a modest number of things to do. After you get the basic installation working, you can move on to the Advanced Features sections. It sounds as if you will want to try Current Throttle after you complete the basic installation using the default Pass-Thru mode.

I don't Evan understand how to use a multi meter I'm never going to figure this out, I've emailed grin but don't know what I'm doing. I've put out a wanted add for someone local to do if for money. Failing this I'll end up selling the whole bike and buying one that is more user friendly.

I thought I was buying a bike that was ready for me to plug my cycle analyst straight into so i could turn the power down but have it there if needed at a later date. Im not compatent at electrics and the bike is insane in its current tune. Its 100volts and 80amps quite a leap from the 1000 im used to ive rode it all of a couple miles and it scares the hell out of me lol.

doggydowg said:
I don't Evan understand how to use a multi meter I'm never going to figure this out,
Have you looked at the Guide? No multimeter required.

Here is the very first installation step that determines if your controller is designed for CA V2 or V3:

CaHowTo-Step1.png
If that is too complicated, the V3 is probably not for you...

This is not an easy manual, but if you read and do each step as you go along, it may be doable for you. If you have a specific question about a step in the Guide, that can be answered in a post. Do not try to read the Guide, understand it all, and then go install the CA by winging it... this is a read-a-step, do-the-step kind of affair.

In the end you will likely only need to move a throttle wire to make this work. If that is too much, the V3 is probably not for you...

Justin is away this week, so there may be a delay in getting an email response from ebikes.ca.

doggydowg said:
Failing this I'll end up selling the whole bike and buying one that is more user friendly.
I thought I was buying a bike that was ready for me to plug my cycle analyst straight into so i could turn the power down but have it there if needed at a later date.
...Or you might try buying a CA V2 which is a very much simpler device and appears to be what was on the bike originally.

Back