Help Me Choose A Bike For My TSDZ2B Build.

I got the TSDZ2B motor kit yesterday and haven't yet received the battery yet and I thought I could fit the motor and have it ready but discovered that my old bike that I had the MAC 8T on was given away by my Aunt, I stored it in her shed while I hadn't room at the time and I suppose after 10 years she thought I didn't want it and what could I say really ? lol

Anyway, the chainring on the motor is 42T and a lot of the bikes I'm looking at today have much smaller chain rings and large rings on the rear cassettes.

Can anyone advise as to what bike this part of the World I could get that would suit the 42T TSDZ2B ?

Also, I need a medium frame bike being a short 5 foot 8 and I am not confident the em3ev 14S 5P battery will fit, so I need advice as to what bike would suit both the 42T chainring and the 14S 5P battery.

The gear setups on today's common one by drivetrains will work ok with the 42t chainring. You probably won't really need to use the lowest (biggest) cogs but the other end will be ~ the same as the older cassettes, like a 11, 12, or 13t. Better yet you could just change out the rear cluster to a 11 or 12 x 32t set which works perfect for a TSDZ2 with 42t chainring.

The gear setups on today's common one by drivetrains will work ok with the 42t chainring. You probably won't really need to use the lowest (biggest) cogs but the other end will be ~ the same as the older cassettes, like a 11, 12, or 13t. Better yet you could just change out the rear cluster to a 11 or 12 x 32t set which works perfect for a TSDZ2 with 42t chainring.

Thanks for the advice.

I've found a bike that looks good and perfect for the TSDZ2B

Raleigh Strada City 650B City Bike - City Bikes - Cycle SuperStore

Only question now is will the battery fit to the frame in the above link in a medium size ?

Most of the medium sized bikes I took a look at today seemed to have frames too small for the em3ev 14s 5P.

Hard to know until you try it. Remember, a Shark type battery not only needs to fit in the space, you will need a bit of extra room for it to slide on and off. One vendor here in the US (Electrify) now offers batteries of decent capacity that attach to the bike's saddle. But almost certainly not 5P. 10 Amp hour, Maybe 3P? The first cheaper one (20 amp) is plenty for a TSDZ2.

Thanks for the advice.

I've found a bike that looks good and perfect for the TSDZ2B

Raleigh Strada City 650B City Bike - City Bikes - Cycle SuperStore

Only question now is will the battery fit to the frame in the above link in a medium size ?

Most of the medium sized bikes I took a look at today seemed to have frames too small for the em3ev 14s 5P.

Another battery solution is to use EGO "56v" (really 52V nominal) power tool batteries. I made a 3D print dock for these and run a 5 amp hour version with my TSDZ2. That works great instead of the bigger shark pack for shorter rides. They now make them in more P configurations up to 12 amp hours. The dock I designed readily mounts to a rear rack.

I went looking for a bike today and found one but will have to wait until the 12th for delivery, yeah, you go into a shop see a bike you want and it has to be ordered in from probably the U.K. The joy of living on a small Island !

This is the bike. Carrera Subway 2 Mens Hybrid Bike - Black - S, M, L, XL Frames | Halfords IE

20 inch frame, I'm around 5 foot 8 and thought I would want a medium frame but I was quite happy with that frame and know there's plenty of room for the battery.

I had a look at a lot of bikes in another shop and it appears that more and more bikes are not suitable for the TSDZ2 motor due to having odd shame bottom bracket housing, if that's what you call it and not only that at the bottom of that where the cables go for shifters and brakes there can be a plastic guide which will prevent the motor from being installed so I think a redesign of that motor is quite necessary for that reason alone and not only that but looks like some of these newer bikes have odd shape bottom bracket housing.

I did like the bike, good enough quality for the money, I had a look at bikes in another shop, quite a large place with tonnes of bikes I saw and so many would not work with this motor kit.

I only know this from looking at some youtube videos where people struggled or couldn't mount the motor because of this issue with the brake and shifter cable guide.

Last edited:
Hard to know until you try it. Remember, a Shark type battery not only needs to fit in the space, you will need a bit of extra room for it to slide on and off. One vendor here in the US (Electrify) now offers batteries of decent capacity that attach to the bike's saddle. But almost certainly not 5P. 10 Amp hour, Maybe 3P? The first cheaper one (20 amp) is plenty for a TSDZ2.

Yes, I read about the extra space to be able to get the battery in and out.

I have the battery on the way, should arrive by next weekend and the bike Monday week on the 12th June.

Back