Help with Ebike charger repair?

Twistgripper

100 mW
Hi, I have an ebike 48v LiIon charger (states 54.6v actually) not working. I received it like this with the bike and do not know the details of how it failed. it was only plugged into the bike/battery it was intended for - all new from factory but bought at auction...

I would order a new one because they are fairly cheap, but the shipping will take several weeks to a couple months because of Covid! So i'd like to attempt to repair. I'm ok with a meter and soldering iron, but i dont know enough about electronics to know how to test all the components.

When I turn it on, instead of getting a constant ~52vdc, I'm getting wildly and quickly fluctuation between 4-27v on my meter. It does this with or without load (plugged in to battery or not). There are no signs of scorching or overheating anywhere on the board (I looked with magnifying lamp thoroughly on both sides).

Re-soldered some crappy joints - no change.
- checked fuse - good.

If I put my ear right up to it, I can hear a noise I could only describe as sounding like a synth version of a uk Police siren. No signs of anything overheating on the board. Its loudest over the transformer. Suspect transformer bad?

when plugged in, the green led does light, but does not turn red when plugged in to battery to charge like it's supposed to.

Pics here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/MtUMZzSmSnr9SpUB6

Any help is appreciated...tips like "test the mosfet, cap, resistor" etc - pls include HOW to test them..

Back