hi who has experience with canadian police and ebike spec issue?

http://www.cycle-helmets.com/canada_helmets.html
In 2013, different bike helmet laws applied in each Canadian province and territory:

Alberta: Minors
British Columbia: All ages
Manitoba: Minors
New Brunswick: All ages
Newfoundland and Labrador: All ages
Northwest Territories: No law
Nova Scotia: All ages
Nunavut: No law
Ontario: Minors
Prince Edward Island: All ages
Quebec: No law but education programs available
Saskatchewan: No law but education programs available
Yukon: No law
end quote

cooking monkey said:
What? are you sure about that, I could have swore I read it was a requirement in Alberta.

from wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicycle_helmet_laws_by_country#/media/File:Mandatory_bicycle_helmet_legislation.svg

markz said:
In 2013, different bike helmet laws applied in each Canadian province and territory:
[...]
[...]

You don't say.

Do they require tire chains and a winch for bicycles?

You mean a
wench

n.
A young woman or girl.
n.
A woman servant.
n.
A promiscuous woman or a prostitute.

Balmorhea said:
markz said:
[...]
[...]

You don't say.

Do they require tire chains and a winch for bicycles?

markz said:
http://www.cycle-helmets.com/canada_helmets.html

Alberta: Minors
British Columbia: All ages
Manitoba: Minors
New Brunswick: All ages
Newfoundland and Labrador: All ages
Nova Scotia: All ages
Ontario: Minors
Prince Edward Island: All ages
Quebec: No law but education programs available
Saskatchewan: No law but education programs available
Yukon: No law
end quote

cooking monkey said:
What? are you sure about that, I could have swore I read it was a requirement in Alberta.

from wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicycle_helmet_laws_by_country#/media/File:Mandatory_bicycle_helmet_legislation.svg
Clipboard02.jpg

Mark I just don't know but I am going by this. its from transportation Alberta. Its stated in multiple places that helmets are required, no exemption for over 18 is mentioned, and it was published exactly one year ago so I think it must be the most recent legislation that covers Alberta. Have a peak. http://www.transportation.alberta.ca/Content/docType41/Production/small_vehicle_booklet_final.pdf

I live in Vancouver and I commute daily on my bike, have for many years.

I've never owned a bicycle helmet, and I've never had a ticket.

Things might be different in Alberta though, it's kind of a police state.

Alberta police state?
Hardly
There is less and less inforcement on many small things - simply police pretend they dont see.
Police present is minimal comparing example with Germany
You see you must compare somthing place to other places and you have a picture not to generalize like that.

miro13car said:
I dont wear helmet because bylaw tells me, but because it potect me - no brainer here.

Don't count on very much protection, then. Whole population studies have shown no effect on cyclist mortality as helmet use has risen from zero percent to 50%+. Whatever protection they give you with one hand, they apparently take away with the other.

i WAS in accident where I hit my head against car - helmet save me , again I dont care about statistics just common brain.
you hit object wearing nothing on your head versus hitting same object with helmet on , conclusion?

miro13car said:
i WAS in accident where I hit my head against car - helmet save me , again I dont care about statistics just common brain.
you hit object wearing nothing on your head versus hitting same object with helmet on , conclusion?

Yep me too - though in my case I landed headfirst on asphalt and the helmet pretty clearly saved me a trip to the hospital. I still ended up at the doctors for a bad and deep scrape and a partially separated collarbone.

But anecdotes aside, it has been hard to show measurable benefits to wearing helmets on a population basis. A lot of the problem is that there isn't much in the way of uniform reporting. But I suspect that they just aren't as effective/important as many people claim. I still wear mine because the cost and inconvenience is so low and I ride at higher than typical bicycle speeds. But I do think the benefits have been oversold - especially for the average neighborhood bike rider who never goes much faster than 12 mph and rides a few hundred miles a year at most. When friends find out I commute on my ebike they frequently trot out the ol' "make sure you wear your helmet" comment. The irony is that there's probably more benefit on average to wearing one in a car than wearing one on a bike. Car occupants should wear bicycle helmets IMO.

miro13car said:
Alberta police state?
Hardly
There is less and less inforcement on many small things - simply police pretend they dont see.
Police present is minimal comparing example with Germany
You see you must compare somthing place to other places and you have a picture not to generalize like that.

OK. Compared to BC, Alberta is kind of a police state.

Back