Homeless wire / XB300LI controller

mike5ive

100 mW
https://endless-sphehttps://endless-sphere.com/forums/download/file.php?mode=view&id=288141rehttps://endless-sphere.com/forums/download/file.php?mode=view&id=288142.com/forums/download/file.php?mode=view&id=288140

As you can see from the discolored plastic shield that blue wire went somewhere but I can find no home for it.
I bought this bike as a basket case so I didn't take it apart lest I'd know where it supposed to belong.
I generally would care about some extra wire, that is it the motor would run but it won't

Attachments

• controler1.jpg
    controler1.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 335
  • controler2.jpg
    controler2.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 335
  • controler3.jpg
    controler3.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 335
Check continuity from there to the phase wires. If it's for a dash speedometer on scooters it usually taps off one of those, sometimes directly, sometimes indirectly.

OK will do, thanks. I should also like to ad that its acts as a ground when tested with my multimeter / red to any power wire and black to it

mike5ive said:
OK will do, thanks. I should also like to ad that its acts as a ground when tested with my multimeter / red to any power wire and black to it
That sounds a little confusing. Do you mean that you are using it as a ground wire when checking battery positive wire voltage? Or is it some other meter setting, etc?

A better check of whether it is a ground wire is completely disconnect your controller from everything, so all it's wires are unplugged.
Set your meter to 20ohms, or continuity if it has that.
Place your meter black lead on the controller's battery negative wire.
Place your meter red lead on this wire.
Note down the exact screen reading.
A reading of zero or less than 10 or so means that this wire is effectively connected to battery negative.
A reading above that may indicate it goes thru some other component inside first, and would require opening it up to trace out what the actual circuit is, and draw that out on paper.

You can also use the idea of that check to see if it is directly connected to something else, if it isn't a ground wire.
Completely disconnect your controller from everything, so all it's wires are unplugged.
Set your meter to 20ohms, or continuity if it has that.
Place your meter black lead on this wire.
Place your meter red lead on the other wire you wish to check connection with.
Note down the exact screen reading.
A reading of zero or less than 10 or so means that this wire is effectively connected to that other wire directly.
A reading above that probably means it isn't directly connected to that wire.
Move the red lead to the next wire you wish to check connection with.
Repeat steps above, until you find any connection, or all of them if there is more than one.

Do NOT do this test with any controller wire connected to anything other than the meter, or you may destroy the meter and potentially the controller itself or the other thing it's connected to, depending on what that is (like a battery). (It may just change the readings you get, if it's not a battery.)

To do this test connected to the battery, you'd need to be in 200 DC Volts mode on the meter first, but otherwise the steps are the same, but the way to read the results is different, so the best thing if doing this test is to post the actual test steps you performed, which wire was tested, and exactly what the reading and results were.

FWIW, it's a lot faster to find out by opening up the controller (but there is always the risk it won't go back together as easily, and/or won't work afterward).

Disconnected from everything an sitting on a table in front of me I show a certain amount of resistance between blue and practically every wire, every wire except the large green phase wire, zero resistance to that dude.
I ordered a new controller today but I'd still like to know what this ones trip is.

cont.jpg
wire on right is the blue in question, green (and the only thing it has continuity with in the circuit) is the left wire

mike5ive said:
Disconnected from everything an sitting on a table in front of me I show a certain amount of resistance between blue and practically every wire, every wire except the large green phase wire, zero resistance to that dude.
I ordered a new controller today but I'd still like to know what this ones trip is.
If there's zero resistance from it to a phase wire, then it is what they call a "speedometer" wire, or "dashboard" wire. Some of the scooters out there have a dashboard with speedometer (and sometimes a "current gauge") that use this wire to tap into the phase signal from the controller, and measure the speed of the wheel from the number of pulses it gets per second, and the ones with the "current" gauge will also give some rudimentary idea of how much power the motor is using (not as good as a wattmeter, etc, but better than nothing if it's already there anyway).

If it's not used on a scooter (or the scooter doesn't have this function in it's dash) then that wire is just left hanging, most of the time. It rarely shorts against anything from just bouncing around so there isn't usually a complete cover over it.

There's dashboards like those available for sale on places like ebay and aliexpress, but many of them have no documentation for how to wire them up, or worse they have *wrong* documentation (whcih can lead to blowing things up).

Back