Hoverboard Motor E Skateboard

rbutl61

100 µW
To christen my new account on ES, I will be posting a build log of my DIY electric skateboard using hoverboard motors. Stay tuned...

To start with, I have chosen a longboard from ebay. Blackhawk(???) branded, 41 inches long, $99.99.
Link: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BLACKHAWK-41x9-75-9Ply-Maple-Deck-ABEC-7-Longboard-Cruiser-Down-Hill-Skateboard-/122808222383

Other parts used:
8 x U-Bolts (Dimensions - 6.4 x 70 x 20mm)
4 x 6.5" hoverboard motors (36v 350w)
2 x Paris Style 8" trucks ($40 on ebay)
4 x Stainless Steel Bolts and Nuts (M6 x 16mm)
4x Stainless Steel Bolts and Nuts (M6 x 75mm)
1 x 19mm 1m long Stainless Steel Pipe (cut into two 30cm lengths)
1 x dual motor esc (36v model available on Ebay under the name dual skateboard esc)
3 x 36v 4.4ah hoverboard batteries (and plastic container to hold them)
1 x 36v lithium battery charger
5 x XT-60 connector pairs

As you can probably guess, those skateboard trucks are NOT designed to support huge, 2 kg hub motors, so we will have to do a bit of 'inventing' before we can put this whole board together.

My designs are attached. Basically, the 19mm pipe is mounted directly underneath the paris truck, and it is temporarily secured with only U bolts. (2 on each end). Having been through the horrors of cheap ebay belt drive motor mounts (picture mm's of aluminium and 3 set screws holding a 2000w motor to a skate truck :lol: ), I am determined to make a strong mechanical mounting system.

This is done by drilling two holes through both the steel pipe and aluminium truck, and bolting them together with the M6 75mm bolts mentions in the parts post.

One time I was doing this kind of thing putting a YZ-80 on a go cart and doing all the fab. Then I came home from school and my dick head big brother had just mounted a nylon strap on the motor to do the motor height and chain tension at the same time all from one pivot point that I made.
He was doing a bunch of donuts around the yard like a dick, and got the go cart shit on by my dad, because it was somehow my fault. Just saying don't sit on the egg too long.

Back