How do I weed out the junk in the world of 48v 1000w kits?

Taiden

1 W
Hey guys,

It seems that a typical 48v 1000w rear hub motor kit will meet my needs paired with 48v14ah LiFePo4 rated for 2c continuous discharge. I'd also like to play with a LiPo booster pack in the future for low duty cycle spurts.

There are so many resellers of these kits, I'm not sure if there are quality differences. A lot of info from here is from a few years ago, so I'm not sure if much has changed.

yescomusa doesn't seem to sell on ebay anymore, and they have two styles of 48v1000w kits. yescomusa1 and yescomusa2

There are several ebay sellers, ebikeling, and epicsellers, and xcceries1 and xcceries2

And then there are Amazon sellers; aosom

Can anyone lend me some guidance on these kits?

Xccerise is the Yescom ebay seller. Or you can go directly to yescomusa.com website. I have the kit as do many others and love it. I coupled my kit with a 48v15ah batt from calibike.com for $500.00 shipped from USA.

Simple818 said:
Xccerise is the Yescom ebay seller. Or you can go directly to yescomusa.com website. I have the kit as do many others and love it. I coupled my kit with a 48v15ah batt from calibike.com for $500.00 shipped from USA.

Thank you. Can you help me understand the difference between these two yescomusa kits?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/48V1000W-26-Rear-Wheel-Electric-Bicycle-Motor-Kit-E-Bike-Cycling-Hub-Conversion-/231132763662?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35d096160e

http://www.ebay.com/itm/48V1000W-26-Rear-Wheel-Electric-Bicycle-LCD-Display-Motor-Kit-E-Bike-Conversion-/291107241753?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43c757ff19

It looks like they have two different motors

Welcome to ES****Do this before your first post or now (it's retroactive)*****
Please go to the User Control Panel, select Profile, and then enter your city, state/province, and country into the Location field (country minimum) and save it. Once done, your location will appear in every post so you won't have people asking where you are ever again. This will help people help you. Example: Wylie, TX, USA. or just USA, but country as a minimum, and country is the most important. There are many cities with the same name all over the world. Without knowing what country you are in it's hard to make any recommendations. Thank you.

All these kits are similar, with the main differences being some are disc brake ready and/or also come with the disc, and some have the newer controller with the LCD control. Any of them should work well. You just have to make up your mind which one you want. :)

If you are interested in Lipo, you should start with it.
A 12S (around 46V) is easy to build and great for learning the in's and out's of Lipo.

Wesnewell what amp controller comes with these kits ?
I would get the one without Bullseye on it.
You need a battery that can keep up with the controller. Plus how much you weigh and the hills ect.
These are on the low end cost wise. So in going as cheap as you can go and have a working bike. I think a good learning cruve

the older one comes with a 30A controller and the newer one (with disc brakes) comes with a 26A controller. Of course that's all subject to change I guess.

Thanks all for the replies! I'm trying to figure out what the real difference is between the motors with the bullseye rings on it, and the plain black one. Are either of these any well known type of motor, ie Goldenmotor?

ZEQuR3Ol.jpg

2K4LQQbl.jpg

Acording to the specs, there isn't any differnece in the motors themselves, just what you get with them. I've got the older model. Here's info on it.
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=49638

The bullseye ringed motor is very likely a GM 901, the solid black motor is very likely a MXUS. They are both 245mm motors, and there are so many different manufacturers of those motors that it's imposable to tell for sure. We generally call them 9C clones, though it's doubtful that 9C made the original. But it really makes no difference who made the motor. My testing of a 9C 9x7 and a MXUS 9x7 motor found them to be so close to identical performance that I couldn't distinguish them by any test I could do at home. same speed, range, weight, power, etc.

The biggest difference between most kits is going to be the vendor. Sometimes sh!t happens and you have to return a motor or a part. Some vendors are reputable and will stand behind their product and help you out. Some won't even return your emails before the sale, and will pretend not to even know you after the sale. Caveat Emptor

Pick the kit that has the parts you want, at a price you can afford, from a vendor you think you can trust.

I just installed the yescomusa solid black motor on my Trek 4300 earlier this week. So far everything is working great and it was shipped and arrived really fast! I opted to supply my own bag for the batteries as the one that comes with the kit just didn't do it for me. I didn't hook up the brake levers that came with the kit, mainly because the brake levers and gear selectors on the Trek are housed as one unit. I had the LBS install the PAS because I didn't have the tool to take the crank off, he actually did it as a favor but it did not work. I bought the tool for the crank arm myself and did it at home, the only problem was the magnet disc had to be turned around.
The sensor and magnet would not fit on the drive side of the bike so we installed it on the left side. If you decide to use the PAS just make sure the side with the shiny dots are on the outside. I really think the kit was a good deal and coming from a USA seller I bought it Sat. night and it arrived via UPS Tuesday afternoon!

Attachments

• IMG_7042[1].JPG
    IMG_7042[1].JPG
    44.2 KB · Views: 3,227
  • IMG_7053[1].JPG
    IMG_7053[1].JPG
    57.4 KB · Views: 3,227
999zip999 said:
Paderolis what battery setup are you using ?

Right now I am using two 18.5v and one 11.1v in series Lipo pack. It only has 4,500 mAH but it is fine for my commute to and from work, which is only around 9 miles round trip.In fact I only have to charge them at work. I will be looking into getting some more from Hobby King real soon.

If you can, put the batteries in the triangle because that is really the best place to put them unless they dont weigh much.

2K4LQQbl.jpg

I ordered this kit from yescomusa.com and I am quite happy with it. It's quick, I haven't had any trouble with hills yet, and the LCD has five programmable levels of assist (and you can set a max speed, if you wish). The only thing I don't really care for is the thin rim that the motor is built into. It seems sturdy, I just wish I could put a really wide tire into it.

20140711_140215.jpg

For the batteries, it is best to mount them in the frame. The bike can be pretty hard to handle if there is too much weight on the back. This was the simplest solution I could think of to get my battery in the frame.

20140711_140305.jpg

wesnewell said:
Welcome to ES****Do this before your first post or now (it's retroactive)*****
Please go to the User Control Panel, select Profile, and then enter your city, state/province, and country into the Location field (country minimum) and save it. Once done, your location will appear in every post so you won't have people asking where you are ever again. This will help people help you. Example: Wylie, TX, USA. or just USA, but country as a minimum, and country is the most important. There are many cities with the same name all over the world. Without knowing what country you are in it's hard to make any recommendations. Thank you.

All these kits are similar, with the main differences being some are disc brake ready and/or also come with the disc, and some have the newer controller with the LCD control. Any of them should work well. You just have to make up your mind which one you want. :)

Hi wesnewell, I do not think "Wylie, TX, USA" is possible: The field “Country” has invalid characters, only alphanumeric, space or -+_[] characters are allowed.

It appears that commas are not acceptable. How did other people get commas?

Stan

How to weed out the junk? I like to call it research and reading everything you can. Good luck in your search? If you can not find the answer on this forum you should not attempt to ride e-bikes as the people here will not steer you wrong. JMO :roll:

StanO9 said:
..... into the Location field (country minimum) and save it.

You're not using the right text box. Look up, it's about 4 boxes higher :)

slacker said:
How to weed out the junk? I like to call it research and reading everything you can. Good luck in your search? If you can not find the answer on this forum you should not attempt to ride e-bikes as the people here will not steer you wrong. JMO :roll:

Hey slacker, thank you for the advice. Good night.

The motor with the rings?

Google search "Prokit 901"...

Just wanted to report back:

I got this kit from yescomusa aka xcceries, and it's been very very good to me.

2K4LQQbl.jpg

Back