How do you install/remove handgrips from your bikes?

bumper

10 W
Any tricks to removing and installing handgrips without destroying them? On my build I went from a thumb throttle to a twist grip and back again. In the process I had to destroy two handgrips because I couldn't remove them. Any lubes you use. I understand LBSs have air guns, but that something I don't have access to.

I usually use a bicycle spoke and WD-40
Start the spoke under the handgrip and squirt some WD-40 in there. Work the spoke around the handlebar while pushing it deeper under the handgrip. Add some more WD-40. Keep twisting and pulling on the handgrip. It will come off.

If you're going to re-use that grip make sure to remove all the oil from inside.
Hairspray makes a good lubricant for refitting the grips. It helps them stick good after it's dried.

At the bike co-op, we use denatured alcohol:

flatten and smooth the end of a broken spoke, then shove it under the grip the entire length to get a gap where the fluid can get in... twist and pull the grip off.

HTH

All you do is get a squirt bottle; fill it full of water and tilt the bike over and lift part of the inside of the grip and squirt it inside and twist at the same time. Gravity will help pull the water down into grip and it comes right off. No oil needed.

If U got a compressor, use air blown under the grip! Works like magic!
otherDoc
edit: Oops, didnt see Ur no air. Even canned air might work if the grip has an end sealed!

Hairspray and alcohol are two great ways. Denatured alky can eat at grips, so I would recommend rubbing alky. Water works too, but you should clean the grip and handlebars with alcohol to remove grease anyway so why not use it for the lube.

Being from the bigger hammer school with a minor in vice grips and a believer in Windex (WD40 is on my list) I use the vice grips to lift the edge up enough to squirt some Windex in as far as I can, open the vice grips over the handlebar yet smaller than the handlebar grip and beat on the vice grips with the hammer against the handlebar grip. If the handle bar grips have a little flange it works easier and quicker. Most important to me, it works right away and even if I have to give it a couple extra squirts of Windex it never takes more than a minute or so.

Mike

Rubbing/denatured alcohol is about the best thing you can use. Just get a little under the grip and work it in by twisting the grip aroun. You should feel the end loosen up. Add a little more when it feels like you can't get it any looser, and eventually you can just pull it off.

Unlike WD-40, it also evaporates quickly and doesn't need to be cleaned off.

Soapy water and a bit of force.

For removing sticky grips, I use a hair dryer. It softens the rubber and allows you to twist it off easier.

Putting them on, KY Jelly works a bit too well..... don't use vaseline or wd-40 since they would degrade the rubber.

Karen

I use rubbing alcohol. Just jab an allen key into the side and drip the alcohol in. give it a twist and it should come out easily. Alcohol dries without leaving residue like WD-40

vanilla ice said:
I use a razor blade.

similar here...box cutter, figure if your taking the grips off its to replace them with new ones doesnt matter if the old is cut in half?

AussieJester said:
vanilla ice said:
I use a razor blade.

similar here...box cutter, figure if your taking the grips off its to replace them with new ones doesnt matter if the old is cut in half?

Sometimes you don't want to trash the grips. A c'lyte cruise control box requires grip removal to mount it. Yea, if you are just replacing the grips completely, razor them off. If you need to pull one temporarily to thread a new device on the handlebar, use a spoke and lubricant.

1) Flat head screw driver. Pry the grip open a little.
2) Spray hairspray.
3) Repeat as necessary and twist grip off.

The hairspray lubes when wet and dries to a slight tack when dry holding the grip.

silicium said:
air compressor is very good (one seconde to remove or replace !) :mrgreen:

Do you just use a football inflator needle under the grip?

Back