How do you use Grins new v6 Z9 BaseRunner with a 3rd party display?

Grin released a new version of the BaseRunner. This one states "It is also compatible both the the Superharness and UART Displays". I have an LCD8H. Has anyone connected the BaseRunner to a KT display? I'm pretty certain the KT display is UART, after reading through casainho's KT controller thread. The V5 BaseRunner also states that it has "9-pin Cusmade Mains signal plug for harnesses to 3rd party displays". I can't find any info on connecting the BaseRunner to an LCD8H. I'm fairly certain how to connect the BaseRunner to the LCD8H as I've reviewed the diagrams for both devices. I'm more curious how the BaseRunner works with a KT display. Maybe no one has tried? I've searched. I imagine that I’d be able to use the 3 button control with the same PAS level control and power on and off, but I havent seen any examples of the BaseRunner working with a KT controller. Also curious if the settings in the display would have any effect on the BaseRunner, such as motor temp, cruise, max amps (C5), speed, etc.

Do you have the SuperHarness ? I purchased a BaseRunner, a 600C display (from grin), and a harness (the DIY harness, not the superharness) from grin, but it do not works. They answered that I need the SuperHarness to make it work, but they only sell it as part of a Kit, and not alone.
Your display shall be compatible with the pinout detailed below (be carefull about the note*)
1712350985603.png

No superharness. The V4 BaseRunner manual mentions compatibility with “3rd party displays”. I’ve been looking for this specific info before the superharness came out. I know they want to sell the superharness, but this method seems to have been available since V4 BaseRunner. Yet, I haven’t seen anyone using a “3rd party display” with the BaseRunner.

To use one, you have to setup the *runner to communicate with it.

These are based on the ASI BAC series, so like the BAC they can be setup to use various displays. I don't know if the BAC info on doing this is applicable direclty to the *runners, but if you find any out there you can compare it to the Phaserunner Setup program's settings.

You can list all the available parameters in the method posted here (there are also screenshots of them all)
https://endless-sphere.com/sphere/t...ach-running-an-ultramotor.122921/post-1796048
but there's no manual from Grin or ASI listing what values to put into them...so you'd have to experiment. If you do, please post the results back.

Someday I'd like to do this, but I need my system to always be working, so until I have a chance (....) to setup my system to be quickly and easily switched between the PRv6 and the old Grinfineon, it's not likely to happen.

Last edited:
I can't find any info on connecting the BaseRunner to an LCD8H
It won't work with Kunteng displays. ASI has native support of some UART (SWLCD and 5S) protocols, but not Kunteng. Kunteng uses the same pinout on the Higo connector, but a different protocol.

The 5S protocol is the most used in chinese sytems I think., you can get displays with 5S protocol from various manufacturers like Kingmeter, KeyDisplay.....

<Name>Alternate display protocol</Name>
<Scale>1</Scale>
<Description> 0=disabled, 1=SWLCD open 9 mode, 2=SWLCD(closed) ,3=reserved 4= KM5 (open) 9mode, 5= KM5 (open) 5mode</Description>

regards
stancecoke

Last edited:
Back