• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

How to auto-disconnect the battery from controller

remy

10 µW
Hi guys,

After I've killed two packs letting them connected to the controller after a ride, I've started thinking about the need of an auto cut-off protection.
So far I still don't know how to do that (I'm pourly skilled in electronic since my birth !).

So my question is :

:idea: " Does anybody know a mean to automatically disconnect the battery from the controller after a ride -- after a temporisation or not -- ? "

NB :
Else, I really recommend the Cute Q-85 from bmsbattery.com, it's awesome !! silent, really enough powerfull, but be carefull it consumes more than 400W and not 250W as advertised (in regard to the EU directive I mean..). And don't recommend the ebike-kit.com direct-drive motor, it's a big cow...

Just did the same thing myself. Simplest might be a deadman kill switch type thing, Jumper plug on the belt loop, you get off, the plug pulls and it's off. Same principle as the jet ski key.

I thought about that for those who, like me, have no brains and forgetting a key somewhere it's not big deal for me :lol:
The jet-ski thing is pretty cool, good idea, I'll definitly think about that until I found an electronic schematic. Thanks !!

I'm a dumbass too, and often forget to unplug the dang controller, or flip the switch. It typically didn't matter because I'd remember to put the charger on, but just leave the controller on too. Then ride the bike within 2-3 days. 3 days at 3 watts would drain about 100wh from the 700 wh in the pack. No big deal. This time I got sick for awhile, and a month later found my ping was dead meat, reading 3v for the whole pack. :oops:

Maybe you could attach the house key to the controller plug? Like you can't open the door to home without unplugging?

Gawd, I'm glad I'm not the only one. I road my bike a few times early this spring and then we had about two weeks of solid rains. When the weather finally cleared I discovered that I had left the battery connected to the controller after the last ride. 7 of my 16 Headways were dead. The other 9 were salvageable but probably have reduced capacity. I definitely like the dead-man's switch idea.

Maybe we just need a little sound generator. Idiling engine sound when you plug in the controller?

Even the flashing led's on the controller didn't clue me in on mine. :lol: Thank god the battery I toasted was 3 years old. :mrgreen:

Back