How to Break Spot Welding Copper Strips to Battery Cells

amco

1 µW
How to Break Spot Welding Copper Strips to Battery Cells without destroying Cell.

Attachments

• Spot Cell.jpeg
    Spot Cell.jpeg
    71.2 KB · Views: 226
Pliers and a rotary dremel type with grinder bit whether be a cutoff wheel, sand paper barrel or stone grinder and isopropyl alcohol to clean off the debris. Try to roll the pliers and roll the tab weld out which wraps the copper strip around the pliers but works well.

Do you seriously think you can separate the copper from the electrolyser using mictoTIG or even TIG welding with Dremel? Naturally this is possible but traces will remain and it is as difficult as separating cells in Tesla battery modules.

Are you breaking down the entire pack, or trying to replace one cell in the middle?

To break down the pack, I would start with a Dremel and a thin abrasive disc to cut the nickel strips halfway between the cells.

Pliers to peel back and remove the tab strips anyway you can
Best to work with long pieces then short for more leverage, so I personally wouldnt cut the tabs but you got to do whatever works best. The dremel to smooth down the remaining bump so it can be re-used.
I've used small cut-off wheels to take the weld bump off by using the cut-off wheel as a grinder, used stone grinder that come in those rotary tool kits you buy and barrel sand paper.
Done it before and it worked well, on 18650-25R and the older Makita.

Your picture looks like the tabs have some layers, so try removing one tab layer at a time if that works well for you continue on, if not try removing all layers at the same time.

I rotated the photo because turning your head is not very convenient.

Attachments

• Spot Cell.jpeg
    Spot Cell.jpeg
    77.5 KB · Views: 186
PCB drill.

Set to stop.

Measure with a accurate tool with high resolution ( 1/10mm) or ( 1/100 mm even)

Back