How to recognize Innotrace Controller

sioux612

1 µW
Hey,
I've been wanting to get my first big boy ebike.
While I'm quite comfortable with buying all the DIY hardware for an electric longboard and just assembling that from parts, a bike is a different beast.

Being germany based I eventually found Innotrace and while the price point appeared a bit steep, I didn't mind too much, as long as the end product is good enough I can just take a bit more time before I order - It not like the bike will suddenly disappear.

Well it suddenly disappeared and I can't get in touch with them anymore, probably still based on the whole "our former programmer just copied the VESC project" thing.

So I started looking for a used bike and found one that looks promising. What appears to be a Hydra like frame, the 3500watt innotrace upgrade, solid enough shocks etc.

I just want to make sure that it actually has the Innotrace controller. The motor cover still is Bafang not Innotrace, it has a Eggrider screen. Is there an easy way when checking it out in Person to make sure everything is as it should be?

You could ask for proof of purchase like a receipt from innotrace or the company they bought the bike from. But best way would be to ride it. The eggrider should display max watts or amps (3.5kw or 60a), or test out the top speed. I talked with a user on emtbforum who bought the 3.5kw from innotrace but they accidentally sent him a very limited version and at the time was waiting for innotrace to respond. His motor struggled to hit 30mph and felt something was off. When I read that I instantly knew something was wrong as a stock m620 can hit around the 35mph mark, the innotrace 3.5kw should easily do over 40mph. From what I've read the innotrace controller firmware was hacked so end users could configure the amps to the max (they charged more for higher amp versions) so you could also get your hands on the tool and software to check in person

Hey,
I've been wanting to get my first big boy ebike.
While I'm quite comfortable with buying all the DIY hardware for an electric longboard and just assembling that from parts, a bike is a different beast.

Being germany based I eventually found Innotrace and while the price point appeared a bit steep, I didn't mind too much, as long as the end product is good enough I can just take a bit more time before I order - It not like the bike will suddenly disappear.

Well it suddenly disappeared and I can't get in touch with them anymore, probably still based on the whole "our former programmer just copied the VESC project" thing.

So I started looking for a used bike and found one that looks promising. What appears to be a Hydra like frame, the 3500watt innotrace upgrade, solid enough shocks etc.

I just want to make sure that it actually has the Innotrace controller. The motor cover still is Bafang not Innotrace, it has a Eggrider screen. Is there an easy way when checking it out in Person to make sure everything is as it should be?
I have the
Just for info , If you send away the Bafang motor to Innotrace, they dont change the outer case. there should be a warranty sticker placed on it by Innotrace to stop you opening the motor up.

Below is the mine , which i sent away to germany , and it came back with a sticker on, as below.

IMG_9967.JPG

you have to use there display ,below :

IMG_9974.JPG

you cant use the eggridder with it as it comes up with the following error message :

WhatsApp Image 2022-12-02 at 14.49.36.jpg

hope this helps

tony

Those are both great tips, thank you.
Now it should be easy to check if it has an innotrace controller, and I have some rough estiamtes for what it should be able to reach speed wise.

I just noticed though, its not an eggrider display, it just looks similar, I think its one of the innotrace/bafang displays - it shows voltage, speed, total mileage and I support level, similar to your first picture but slightly different.

No amps unfortunately, that would have made things way easier to check

How hard is it to replace the outer case?
Cause Germany.

Any ebike going faster than 15mph needs a registration, any ebike faster than 27 is outright illegal, any other PEV that isn't a 12mph scooter is outright illegal. When they stopped me on my eskate the first thing they did was look for a manufacturer logo/name so they could google it and get all the inciminating marketing info they'd need. Me building it DIY and removing all logos, plus removing the on/off button was what saved my ass, they couldn't even proof that it actually was a vehicle.

So I'd quite like to replace the Bafang text on the motor with a generic blank plate

How hard is it to replace the outer case?
Cause Germany.

Any ebike going faster than 15mph needs a registration, any ebike faster than 27 is outright illegal, any other PEV that isn't a 12mph scooter is outright illegal. When they stopped me on my eskate the first thing they did was look for a manufacturer logo/name so they could google it and get all the inciminating marketing info they'd need. Me building it DIY and removing all logos, plus removing the on/off button was what saved my ass, they couldn't even proof that it actually was a vehicle.

So I'd quite like to replace the Bafang text on the motor with a generic blank plate

As long as you have spare cases its just boltings i believe for the casings. Innotrace uses a X1 or X2 display like that i have shown in the photos above.

There is two modes , eco and sport. eco is usual pre set not to be above 15mph , and the throttle does not work. sport if set higher with throttle. There is dongle and software which costs abot £100 from innotrace so you can fiddle with it. Or if you know how to , theres a setting which just makes "open source" , or full power which makes it alot of fun.

Last edited:
I use 3000W Innotrace X1.

It is not hard to replace the logo part of the case on Bafang M620 motor.

The way to spot if it is truly 3500W Innotrace X1 controller inside the motor can be tricky if the motor has no Innotrace logo (just swapped the controller) and if there is no access to the motor top face where you can see the "do not open" sticker with German language.

I have Innotrace X2 display and it shows Innotrace logo on the boot, but lack of this logo or presentence of this logo does not mean the motor has or does not have the Innotrace X1 controller.

The low maximum speed (let's say below 35 mph) also does not mean the controller is less than 3500W because of the gearing of bike can be low. In order to reach the full possible speed on 3500W controller you need not a regular derailleur speed system. 3500W can go faster than 40mph, but it needs properly geared wide range speed system. So if the bike has a regular speed system and you are not able to reach 40 mph it does not mean it is less than 3500W motor. I have Kindernay VII gear hub (this gear hub has higher ratios than a regular derailleur) paired with my 3000W innotrace X1 motor, with 42T chainring and 14T cog and that speed system allows to reach the 3000W power limitation which is about 40-45 mph on flat. A regular derailleur will probably allow you to go 35 mph maximum no matter if power is 1500W or 3500W just because of the motor maximum cadence limitation.

So even I have an Innotrace X1 motor I do not really now how to distinguish a regular 1500W Bafang m620 motor from a 3500W Innotrace X1 motor without experiencing them both personally.

So your options are only to see if the motor has the German sticker on the top face or bring with you a laptop, a programing cable and the bypassed X1Tool to see if the motor communicates with the X1Tool program. The details about the programing cable and the X1Tool can be found here Archon X1 Programming Thread (questions and experiences)

Last edited:
Back