How would you evaluate these batteries?

Desertprep

1 kW
http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/320462569/LiFePo4_Battery_Pack_36V_20ah_for.html

What do I look for? From reading this ad, what makes them good or bad?

Funky round cell pack. Can't even tell if it has a bms. Comprable to a V power HK battery.

Plus they are only 1C (20 amp max discharge current) - jd

Depends on the use. Pingbatteries are said to be 2c, and lots of us use a 15 ah 48v on a 9c kit. It can peak 1200 watts, but most of the time it will be only drawing 1000, and 800 watts once up to speed on flat ground. But with a different motor, like the power hungry 5304, you might want a 30 ah battery even if you were using the same controller.

What's the difference? The big motor will draw the 1200 watts for more of the time it's running. Of course, if you had a 3-5c battery, then you could run more watts, and the battery would be likely to last longer.

What exactly are you running, a scooter motor or a bicycle?

Scooter or ebike..that is a good question. I am trying to get my hands on a spreadsheet that will help me calculate the speed of various motor options with various wheel sizes to make that decision. I have been referred to 2 online sources but each is blocked in China. Does anyone know of an Excel type spreadsheet - actual file - that will do these calculations?

In some respects I prefer a scooter because they are "cool" looking. There is, however, an ebike that looks a bit like a motorcycle here (also has a cool factor to it:) ) but has 22 or 24" wheels - easier to make go fast but also easier to absorb bumps, potholes, rips in pavement and even 6" or 8" deep puddles. It also has space for 2 full size batteries and would be easier to bolt things to without needing to cut up the fiberglass on a scooter.

My preference is lower voltage, 36 or 48v. Chain drive seems to win here because most of the high rpm hub motors are happier with at least 60v. I am a little concerned about the sprung/unsprung weight of the wheel/bike, so chain drive wins here. Chain drive lets me put the weight of the drive train in the center of the bike, as opposed to in the center of the rear wheel.

I would love to have a zesty outrunner but I also realize that that is a greater commitment - I have no knowledge of installing hall sensors, etc. The cyclone motor is appealing. They have 24v, 36v or 48v motors that include 650,960 or even up to 1,500 watt motors. Plus it is just across the Taiwan straits if anything goes wrong with it...but I really need to get my hands on a spreadsheet now!

Here's a chart I made up with Excel showing wheel rpms for various speeds. It might be part of what you need - jd

Attachments

• wheel rpms.JPG
    45.2 KB · Views: 728
Thanks! That is helpful but I also need to factor in the amount of torque needed to move the bike with myself on it, which will show me the difference between a 900 watt motor and a 1500 watt motor.

Back