• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

HS3548 broken on arrival

Deutch420

100 W
So after reading 60+ pages of horror stories on the new Clyte motors, i figured i would post up my experience with the product.

HS3548 arrived. Like a kid on Christmas i signed for it, brought it inside and proceeded to open it. Batteries wired, controller programmed, CA mounted, everything ready to go.. I was just waiting on the motor. Opened up the nicely packaged box. My first and only concern was to check the phase wires and see if they were compromised. So i took the whopping 45 seconds to unscrew the bolt, washer and platic piece. Well guess what??? Not even in my possession for 5 minutes and i have a ruined HS motor. The black silicone and white cloth are 100% chewed through and the blue phase wire is next.

Here is a picture of how it arrived, NIB, at my house.

So, i guess im just another guy that took it up the pooper from Clyte.

I would prefer not to say where i purchased it from as I would like to give the seller some time to correct this. However i did ask about this issue prior to purchase and was told 3+ months and 50+ units sold without ONE issue. Kinda odd that im number "one" to have issues, but i guess thats my luck. Also, why the plastic piece wasnt removed to check the phase wires for damage prior to shipping is beyond me. 45 second check couldve saved a month of downtime and a lot in shipping costs (shiiping to me, back to him, back to me etc..)

Either way, hes a known seller here, im sure he will take care of this. He has already spoken to me pn the phone and replied to an email. Im keeping hope. 8)

100% brand new, out of the box - BROKEN

LMAO!

So sad. I almost wish i didnt have 1500 into this project on other parts. The summer will be over before i get to ride this.

Ive seen all the fixes to PREVENT this problem, however, what is the FIX if the problem already happened?

Thanks in advance..

Sorry to hear your story mate, it's unfortunate, but don't get too stressed about it. How you come to an arrangement with the seller is your business, but if it was me, I would personally just fix it myself. Even if it had arrived perfect everyone would be telling you to upgrade the phase wires and correct the axle issue anyway (it would just inevitably happen anyway, due to the design fault).

Have you read the threads (I think there is two) that explain how to fix the wire exit to stop the rubbing damage from happening?

The first thing to be aware of, is that for most people Clyte have epoxyed the screws in. Mine are epoxyd in so well I have yet to get the screws off, but intend to do so with an impact driver. Others have just been able to get them off with brute strength and a good screw driver, others have dremelled a flat head groove in and gotten them off that way. Once you have the wire side cover off, pull out the wires, now you need to get thicker wires that will still fit. Some people are using LFP's patented "heatshrink" method (Check out the tutorial LiveForPhysics did on upgrading the phase wires of a 9C - use the same method - but my advice is to use 12 guage, 10 guage is too hard).

If you are running a high wattage setup (say over 2kw), you should also be drilling cooling holes in the sidecover, or at the very least installing a temp-probe. These last two are not needed if you are running 48V or less in my opinion. I am running 3.5kw on my HS3540, and it gets toasty hot (I can smell the windings), I will be getting a temp probe in there soon as I can.

But as I said, don't get too bummed, even if it arrived perfectly, people would have been telling you needed to do the very mod I am suggesting you do now anyway (People have had motors arrive perfect, ridden them unmoded, and the wires have rubbed through after several rides). I am still running mine stock, but I am getting intermitent shorting, and I know this is because my wires are rubbing/chafing on the axle, and I am running a lottery with my controller. But that is because I am really busy, this weekend I intend on finding the time to do the upgrade. Best of luck mate, Phil.

Thanks for the replies guys!

Well it kills me to say this, but i might be disclosing the sellers name. He is trying to blame ME for this. He said that in the process of me removing the plastic piece off the axel is 100% the cause for the chewed through silicone and white cloth material.

We all know this is 100% bull$hit and if he is going to play games with me like this i plan to ruin his name.

I already went on ebay and got a yesusacom GM kit. I dont have the time to deal with learning all these new things. Nore do i have the time to open this up and redo what shouldve been done from Clyte.

I had a 20 minute long conversation with the seller prior to my purchase where he guaranteed me that this would NOT be an issue. That he had sold 50+ units without one issue. Sure enough mine arrives chewed up. Now he is blaming me. I simply dont have time for this. Ill just report him to the users on the forums, contact the BBB and put a charge back on my credit card then ill list the hub for sale in as-is condition; a lose-lose situation for all..

Retailers playing games like this will certainly NOT "feed the revolution". If i tried to pull something like this with my business i would be $hit on on the forums immediately. Im trying to hold back. :evil:

here is a direct quote of both of his email replies to me

"I looked at a few new motors, and it appears the plastic piece and wire are glued together really well, the only way to slide the plastic piece away from the hub is to forcibly break the glue which will damage the wire insulation because it glued to the plastic. It looks like that's what happened on your motor. "

and

"After looking at it some more, here is what I think can be dome. It looks like if the glue between plastic piece and cable stays in tact, it actually doesn't look too bad, as long as the cable is well pressed inside the axle groove. But since the glue has already been broken on your motor, I recommend tying a zip tie around the axle really tight, as close to the hub as possible, that will press the cable inside the axle groove and keep wires away from moving part."

In other words, Piss off, you broke it, here is how you might be able to fix it. But we're not helping you.

I dont like this one bit.... What if i didnt look at the wires when it arrived and i hooke dit up; Then i wouldve gotten 1 mile away and i wouldve shorted and most likely blown my controller too. Then i wouldve been out 600$. Such poor business practices and horrid quality control.

slayer said:
Deutch is that a sensored model and was hs3548 correct not 3540 ...just curious

its a 3548. It is sensored. Its the lowest winding he had available with a sensor. I did want a 3540.

Deutch420, Do you mind posting a picture of the problem area?

Updated: The seller offered me a new unit or a refund. I will be opting for the refund unless anyone wants to buy the hub and fix it up.

I tried to link a pic in the frist thread. I dont think it is working.

30sg4z8.jpg

Your Ebike supplier would not be "Crystalyte Europe" If so I have a friend who has been having communication issues, misunderstandings etc. etc. with that company.
And by your response it sounds like there classical response to issues they recieve.

Ypedal said:
Have you tried it ?

I have plenty of xlyte motors with nicked insulation ( yeah.. i know.. it's new and it sucks.. ) but plug it in and see if it works ( I bet it does ) ...

well, im new to the game. Not knowing the ins and outs of the game, i really dont want to screw around. I was afraid it could possibly blow my controller up. Not to mention i never screwed with lipo before etc.. So there were a lot of things that were new to me, didnt need to throw a chewed up motor into the mix.

Like noted above, the seller offered to both refund me or replace my unit with a new one. He is working with me and seems to be a genuine guy. I opted for the refund as i think all the units will be the same.

Hope all his hubs dont have this issue. Its lose lose for everyone.

Back