Hyper Racing 60v 2000w scooter is broken, plz share your wisdom

Is Hyper Power Sports still alive? We just received a Hyper Racing 2000W scooter that runs for ~10 seconds and then everything (motor, lights, screens, etc.) shuts off. Per the digital readout, battery voltage is ~60-65V until ~10 seconds in, when the scooter shuts down. Putting a voltmeter on the battery connector reads ~5V. Then over ~5 minutes, the voltage rises enough that the scooter turns back on. I'm not sure if it's a bad battery, bms or motor controller. If it's on a stand and not being rode it don't shut down nearly as quickly, it also won't shut as quickly if just babying the throttle while riding it. It'll still die out but I can at least get a few mins out of it,. But once the throttles wide open it'll die out. SAVE_20230120_210430.jpg

Thank you very much! So i have the battery apart to check bms and cells. Umm, every cell is reading like 12v each single cell alone.....

Your voltmeter battery needs to be replaced. ;)

I'd also replace the leads before something gets shorted out by the exposed conductors.

It's not my meter, mine broke, which is why I'm borrowed the father in laws but the batteries are good. Here's a different spare one I have.

Attachments

• IMG_20230121_160515.jpg
    IMG_20230121_160515.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 117
No 18650 has a voltage of 4.92V much less 12.53V least none I have come accross. There are some that are 4.35V upper voltage but the vast majority are 4.2 max voltage. these cells are over charged and should be disposed of ASAP. Harbor freight make usable DMMs but this one is broke low battery can cause this. Replace the battery in the dmm that the reason most of the time for weird reading such as you have here. The Cell voltage should be between 4.2V- 2.8V.
Later floyd

Battery in the meter can't be good if it's giving you the reading you see. If the battery is good, the meter is trash, in both cases.

Just replace the 9v battery in the meter, it's quick, easy and will let it give you the most accurate measurement a meter built like these are can.

A low meter battery will cause you to get high readings on the voltage measurements.

If you don't believe me, go measure the 5V output of a USB charger or similar, and you'll probably find the second says it's 6 or 7v instead, and the first meter says it's like 17-20v. ;)

If you are actually getting either of those voltages for real on those cells, the cells are all dangerous trash, and you can start building a new battery from new cells. :flame: :bolt: :bigthumb:

Okay, okay thank you all! I'll keep you posted, I need to get a 9v battery first tho. Most appreciative for the knowledge and the warnings as well!!!

Just gonna repeat what has already been said here, get a decent mutimeter.

A good predicable multimeter can be had for ~$20,

Sparkfun has one: https://www.sparkfun.com/products/12966

A Fluke 101 is $45.

Good tools enable good results.

Back