• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

I love the smell of burning esc's in the morning..

psychotiller

10 kW
I've had pretty good luck so far with Castle's ESC's and was starting to think they were bomb proof. For some reason today my monster 2 committed suicide.
This was running on my Pintail with a 290kv G160 motor @ 6s. Not sure if it was something I did or if it was just time to burn out. ???

Pediglide said:
Charlie don't surf...or skate, lol.

You can either surf, or you can fight! haha!

spinningmagnets said:
Just out of curiosity, have you added any extra capacitors to the power inputs? I've heard that sometimes that helps...

No. I don't have lengthened wires and have yet to notice any surges.

Sometimes, usually in cheaper ESCs, the insulation pad between the heatsink and the mosfets can have tiny holes which allows the two to short circuit. Idk, just open it and check it out. However, this is more common for cheap ESCs, but castle should have done inspections to make sure that doesn't happen.

Carbon said:
Sometimes, usually in cheaper ESCs, the insulation pad between the heatsink and the mosfets can have tiny holes which allows the two to short circuit. Idk, just open it and check it out. However, this is more common for cheap ESCs, but castle should have done inspections to make sure that doesn't happen.

Thanks for the tip! I'll open it up since I don't think they'll warranty me.

Well, I guess getting a look at things inside the Monster 2 isn't really a possibility since it's waterproofed. How would I go about getting past the waterproofing? Can it be dissolved without further damaging the board?

You can remove potting but it is difficult. If you just want to remove a small bit around a MOSFET I'd use a chisel bit on the soldering iron to soften and scrape.

Gregory said:
You can remove potting but it is difficult. If you just want to remove a small bit around a MOSFET I'd use a chisel bit on the soldering iron to soften and scrape.

Well since it already doesn't work I'll give it a shot. Thanks!

Back