• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

I screwed up (my a2b hybrid) (with pics)

fiddyschmitt

10 mW
Hey all,

I was tinkering with a multimeter on the computer socket of my a2b hybrid. I must have touched the wrong pins because it arced very very badly. The second last pin was blown apart. Curiously though, when I stopped cursing and put the computer back on - the bike worked okay. Does anyone know what the purpose of that second last pin is? And why exploding it seemingly had little effect?

Yours in palm-to-face,
fidel
a2bhybrid.png
file.php

file.php

Attachments

• ouch1.JPG
    ouch1.JPG
    237.3 KB · Views: 260
I counted 13 pins. So if your bicycle battery is rated 36V and use LifePO4 battery, those would be the balance connectors for the 12 cells insides. You can verify/confirm/disconfirm by measuring the voltage between pins. The voltage between any two adjacent pins should be about 3.3V.

Just a wild guess. I've never seen an a2b before.

fiddyschmitt said:
Hey all,

I was tinkering with a multimeter on the computer socket of my a2b hybrid. I must have touched the wrong pins because it arced very very badly. The second last pin was blown apart. Curiously though, when I stopped cursing and put the computer back on - the bike worked okay. Does anyone know what the purpose of that second last pin is? And why exploding it seemingly had little effect?

Yours in palm-to-face,
fidel

You basically shorted the battery pack at cell-level/sub-pack-level, between the two damaged terminals in question.

Each of those little pins represents a terminal. Cross terminals with each other and you get a bang.

Your bike is working fine because the battery was not fatally damaged or has so-far retained a degree of its capacity.

However, the problem doesn't end there. The pack has some damage, and that will need to be investigated more.

Back