I think I screwed up!!

richphela

10 µW
Hi all
I used to be fairly good at electronics as I've made a good few quadcopters, it's been a long time and I've forgotten how to solder..
I took ages getting Xt60s to do the connections. The soldering was pretty bad but seemed to hold, I insulated them and then I waterproofed them and at first the XH18 lit up, I changed all the parameters, took it outside and as I connected the xts I heard a sickening pop!
Have I destroyed the tsdz2 plus the 48v 13ah
Battery?
I've saved for ages to get this kit and the Cannondale prophet lefty I attached it to..
Is there a way out?
Thanks

I'm betting you are fine. That pop was a lot of power charging, or discharging, a capacitor or something. Whatever it is, it's not unusual to have that happen when messing with stuff like this.

You can weld connectors when the big caps on a large controller get connected. Bet you just got the usual spark. The bigger the caps in the controller, the bigger the spark.

If it sparked real good, then sizzled awhile, and now the controller stinks, or the battery now puts out zero volts, you reversed the polarity. Been there myslef, got the t shirt.

A pop when connecting the battery to the controller is normal.
XT90 Anti-Spark will negate that pop, but you can also make your own Anti-Spark connector, which is just a resistor that is connected first before the main connector. That will eliminate the pop that you hear. The higher the voltage, the louder the pop.

Thanks guys for your soothing posts.
Everything is fine, all it was was a loose cable .
I resoldered and I was off like a bat out of hell.
Oh the joys of electric mountain biking!!

Cheers everyone 😀😊

Crimping connectors are much better for power wires. Solder is good for controls, halls, small wires.

Back