I want to build an E-cruiser Newbie

The Electra Townie E-bike is definitely out of my price range. My plan is to purchase an Electra Townie plain push bike. I will purchase a Bagang 750w rear hub along with a 20ah battery pack. This appears to be more power and a bigger capacity than the factory e-bike version for less than half the money of purchasing a factory Townie e-bike.
Since the drive system will be less expensive than the mid drive I was initially considering, it allows me to up my budget on the base bike. I think I will like the geometry on the Townie better than some of the less expensive bikes.
Thanks again to everyone who added their thoughts to this.

Brand new guy here. I am interested in building a cruiser style e-bike. Would the collective be willing to verify my sanity and safety. I want to go with a steel frame for the flex and durability. I’m not super concerned with weight.
I am attempting to keep the base bike frame reasonably inexpensive. I am considering the Retrospec Cruiser 29.
Unfortunately, it is not available with disc brakes. I really do want to go with disc brakes on this bike.
I would need to convert it to disc brakes. I am considering the following components:

I plan on using the CYC X1 pro for power

And will use this battery

Does this seem plausible, or am I missing gaps in my knowledge or sanity. I appreciate any helpful input.

The bike will be used as a commuter bike, as we travel around the country in our RV.

Steel frame...excellent idea. I like the Schwinn and Mongoose Mt bikes with a steel frame because they are relatively inexpensive and the frames are very strong. The Schwinn/Mongoose Aluminum framed Mt Bikes are not a bad choice but given the choice, I'd go with steel.

How are you going to use the bike? My recommendations on motors are below:

A. Want to ride off road, a Bafang BBSHD is the way to go. You can't beat it as far as easy installation and aftermarket support.

B. Want to ride on the pavement at speeds below 30 mph, go with a geared hub like the MAC/GMAC. The MAC has better acceleration per battery amp than any motor listed in the drop down menu of the Grin Tech Motor Simulator. It may overheat if you push it faster than ~30 mph steady state. 30 mph is flying on a bicycle.

C. Want to ride on the pavement at speeds above 30 mph, go with a Direct Drive Hub Motor like the Leaf, QS205, Cromotor, Crystalyte H55, or something similar, there are a lot of good choices out there. I always liked this article written by "Spinningmagnets": Five Large Hot Rod Hubmotors for Street E-bikes, the Double D’s

Battery...I buy all of mine from EM3ev.com. Joseph is the guy that answers the mail and he is very helpful.

Disc Brakes...I wouldn't use anything else but converting a no disc brake bike to disc brakes is not a trivial matter so I'd start with a bike that comes from the factory with them.

Tires...off road-Maxxis DHF front and DHR II rear. On pavement-Schwalbe Super Moto-X or Pick-Up or Maxxis Hookworms.

Last edited:
Learn to use the Grin Tech Motor Simulator and then run your set up through it to ensure you have the speed and thrust you want as well as the steady state temperature of the motor...anything above 130C is too hot and 130C is pushing it.

Motor Simulator: Motor Simulator - Tools

I'd put in 1.5-2.0 for the incline just so you put a little more load on the motor.

Back