Ideas for power tether (backpack)

JayCee

1 W
After being wholly unsuccessful in coming up with a battery mounting plan for my bike, I've decided to go with a backpack mount and power tether. I imagine its a good solution for off-road anyway. I'm wondering what those that use backpack batteries use to transmit power to the controller. I'm envisioning some kind of coiled power cable, but can't find anything that is heavy-gauge enough, seems readily available, and is affordable. I do have a bunch of LV landscape wire laying around, (12ga stranded) which is probably fine from a conductor standpoint, but I don't know how a standard wire could be routed to allow ample bike/body separation and not get in the way. Any ideas welcome.

I assume a true coiled power cable would be perfect, but like you I didn't find one suitable.I used 12awg speaker wire nicely routed to the front along the belt strap of my backpack, once in front it goes down loosely the saddle tube to the bottom bracket to the bbs02 controller without much problems.

Once in a while, I leave too much slack in the cable and hit it with my knee, but the 4mm bullet seems to hold it. On the other hand, one time I fell down and it disconnected easily.

fredfire said:
I assume a true coiled power cable would be perfect, but like you I didn't find one suitable.I used 12awg speaker wire nicely routed

That's the way I'm leaning. I have the 12ga LV outdoor lighting wire because I used it as speaker wire when I put in my home theater. Its just about the best high performance low-inductance speaker wire you can buy, but costs about 1/50th of purpose labeled speaker wire.

Back