I'm done with LIPO technology! Dumping it now!

EVBiker2000

100 W
Well, I'm calling it quits with LIPOs. Too much headache for an expensive technology that only lasts for less than 300 charges! Last night, a cable from the battery touched the icharger 206b, blew up my icharger....brand new! :x This morning went for a ride, LIPO battery pack failed several miles from home.....it had 1 charge on it! LIPO's SUCK! Going back to NiMH.....ole' reliable!!! :evil:

Maybe try a ping? I am very happy going into my third season with no noticeable reduction of performance with my 48v 20 ah ping...about 4000km so far....

Moo

Two wrongs dont make a right :wink:

weve all been there. next time protect your connections better. cycle lipos before using on bike. its all there in the rulez :D

Cheer up mate!!

EVBiker2000 said:
Well, I'm calling it quits with LIPOs. Too much headache for an expensive technology that only lasts for less than 300 charges! Last night, a cable from the battery touched the icharger 206b, blew up my icharger....brand new! :x This morning went for a ride, LIPO battery pack failed several miles from home.....it had 1 charge on it! LIPO's SUCK! Going back to NiMH.....ole' reliable!!! :evil:

That's it. Blame the battery chemistry for poor connector choices and procedural errors. Electronics is very unforgiving of errors.

Sorry you had a problem.

Any battery will produce that effect if you short leads.

If you can get that iCharger 206b+ warranteed ( there is a 1 year warranty ) there will be a market for it on here, you could get some of your money back.

p.s. how did your battery pack fail?

Sorry to hear about your controller. I've been lucky so far. And, I have learned from the mistakes of others (though I am likely to contribute some mistakes of my own someday soon!)

Nothing wrong with Deans connectors, but I personally dislike the exposed blades when they are unplugged. Of course, I follow the customary placement of the females on the battery side, and yet...I still prefer connectors that have complete shielding. I am currently using XT60's (yellow, 3.5mm pins) and for a larger connector (to allow two wires to fit in one pin-socket) I am trying out EC5's (blue, 5.5mm pins).

When adding connectors to battery leads, cut only one cable at a time, and then complete that connector soldering/shielding BEFORE cutting/exposing the second cable.

Chat on the RC forums suggests that Zippy packs used between 3.5V and 4.1V per cell (80% DOD?) may last over 1,000 cycles...

If you are happy with NiMH, no problem, but what exactly failed on the LiPo pack? Maybe it was just low, and hit LVC?

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/download/file.php?id=55503
file.php

Good call.

Lipo isn't right for everyone.

NiMH..ole' reliable!!!

Now that's funny. If you're talking Prius type cells and running conservatively, maybe that description is applicable, but even Justin, the super guru of ebikes had trouble with his NiMH pack on his cross Canada ride.

LiMN is what you really need, Sony US18650V cells to be exact, those found in Makita 3ah power tool packs. They're also called Konion V cells. Without a doubt, they are simplest and most trouble free cells of any type, and blow NiMH away in terms of performance and cycle life with conservative DOD and top of charge levels. Plus you can stack cells or strings in parallel to your hearts content and bulk charge as a single pack.

+1 on LiMN. After quite a bit of reading and study, they are my most desired. I have bought two batches of used LiMN from DocBass, but I haven't assembled them into a pack yet. I will be evaluating each cell and assembling a pack soon. They can be charged with LiPo chargers as their nominal rating is 3.7V just like LiPo.

I tried to get good performance from my friction-drive with 24V of SLA. It worked great on the flats, but was a poor climber. I am now evaluating 37V with LiPo to see if it completely satisfies me without having to go to 44V-48V for a system voltage. Once I am satisfied, I will assemble the LiMN pack and move on to other tests.

Justin at ebikes.ca sells quite a few new LiMN packs, more than any other chemistry. It has the fewest customer complaints, and is the most plug-and-play system for the non-technical customers. (although I notice he just started listing LiPo packs as an option)

He no longer carries NiCD or NiMH's, and if anyone knows the benefits and drawbacks of these, its Justin and his customer feedback.

http://ebikes.ca/store/store_batteries.php

SpinningMags,

Whatever you do, don't separate the cells from those Makita packs from each other into individual cells. Just cut out the bad ones leaving as much tab as possible with the good cells. Separating to the individual cell level not only increases the work ten-fold, but you put the good cells at greater heat damage risk while soldering them back together, and you give up time proven tab welded connections in favor of new solder connections. To me the fact that these used blocks are proven makes them actually better than a pack made of brand new cells.

The biggest reason not to separate them is that you give up the cell matching. If a group of cells is still balanced after 50-100 high power cycles in tool use, then you know those cells are perfectly matched. That leaves you generally with 2p4s blocks of cells in a nice sturdy form that you only need to capacity match with other blocks to form strings that stay well balanced.

Lipo is attractive for high power and small size, but otherwise they have nothing on Konions.

well, I've got over the angry frustrated whining throwing tools around stage.....<sigh>. I don't know guys. Gesh....in one day I saw a charger go up in smoke and a brand new LIPO pack quit on me.

I don't know....decisions....decisions.

The thing is....I don't want to be constantly tearing apart...soldering/desoldering....searching for the cheapest onesie twosie batteries on EBAY the rest of my life. I would like to be able to walk into "Home Depot" and grab something off the shelf whenever I need some new batteries.

I love what EMF has done with the DEWALT 9360s. So expensive though for those 36V ones. Don't like the idea of having to "save up" paychecks just to buy the 9360s.

What do you guys think about doing what EMF did except use the 18V 3AHr NiMH replacement packs? They are $60 each. The downside side I would need to buy 8 of them but it wouldn't cost me my marriage. :lol:

spinningmagnets said:
If you are happy with NiMH, no problem, but what exactly failed on the LiPo pack? Maybe it was just low, and hit LVC?

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/download/file.php?id=55503
file.php

I'm not sure. It was at 67 Volts (I have 3 packs in series). I was moving along at about 15 mph....then suddenly the bike lost power. I looked at the CA and it was at 58 Volts. I took the packs apart. Now 2 packs measure about 18 Volts and the 3rd measures 22 Volts.

Well, I have 6 LIPOs now. I'm not going to use them. If someone want's them I'll put them on EBAY with a BUY it now at let's say $20 for all 6 plus shipping. I paid $304 from hobbycity.com. I'll throw in the icharger 206B for free also. It's probably one of the output transistors is blown. The computer display part is just fine....says Balance Error when I plug in the 6S balance connector.

EVBiker2000 said:
Well, I have 6 LIPOs now. I'm not going to use them. If someone want's them I'll put them on EBAY with a BUY it now at let's say $20 for all 6 plus shipping. I paid $304 from hobbycity.com. I'll throw in the icharger 206B for free also. It's probably one of the output transistors is blown. The computer display part is just fine....says Balance Error when I plug in the 6S balance connector.

If you're serious about that, I'll paypal you as soon as I get home from work. :)

But wouldn't you rather save the money and have us help you figure out what went wrong, and fix it so it never happens again?

It sounds like a tab or a cell might've failed in there.

Well, I know it sounds irrational....but I'm really serious....I really don't want to be constantly tearing apart my battery packs every other week. LIPO has too many headaches for a technology that only lasts for 300 charges. It's not that I'm not a tech nut or a garage hacker...I love that. But I like to fully understand what I'm working on...don't like this "black magic" aspect of LIPOs.

As far as the charger, well that was my fault. I was trying to figure out why the LIPO pack was arcing like crazy when I plugged it into the icharger. Course now I know that it has caps that it's charging up that cause this arc. But I thot I was shorting something....well, after worrying and unhooking my balance board from the Icharger, I did short something!!!! One of the connectors from the balance board hit the icharger connector.

Charger.jpg

I'd actually go for a homemade battery. Say 1.2V NiMH AA batteries configured in a series parallel combo. At least if I constructed it I would fully understand all it's limitations. Also, NiMH can be charged in series as long as you control the current. Course it's slow charging but at least I know it will work for 500 charges as long as I control the charge/discharge rate. And if some AA's go bad, I can walk over to walmart and buy a pack 4 without ordering from HONG KONG of all places. GRRRR!

Something like this....place 6 NiMH AA's inline in 1/2 in PVC (or maybe copper because of heat). Add some spring type connectors on the ends, and so you then have a 7.2V 2.3 AHr battery that can be charged without disassembly and no need for balance connectors. Course you have to slow charge it. But you could make dozens of these and they are easy to mount. I could make lots of spares also. What say ye?

Battery.jpg

There is no black magic in charging lipos. But if you don't want to accept what's involved, that's understandable.

They also do not only last 300 cycles. There are some people who are using their HK lipos up to 600 cycles and beyond.
In fact if shallow discharges are used, the number of cycles can be extended drastically for most lipo chemistries ( into the multi thousands ), nobody has ever seen if this applies to the hobbyking lipo or not, but we will see over time.

My iCharger survived through such an event ( plugging a balance lead in serial in the wrong order ). Maybe yours is still functional ?

BTW you don't have to balance charge every time, only when the cells gradually go out of balance over time.

northernmike said:
Go for it. :shock:

How many AA cells are you considering??

How could you encourage someone to do something as horrible as that? Those rechargeable Energizer NiMH are total pieces of dog crap.

EVBiker,
To give you an idea of how easy Konion packs are, I put strings together in late '08 and early '09. None of my packs have ever been opened or suffered any problems of any kind (knocking on wood as I type), even after my bike was hit broadside by an ocean wave, and being dropped a number of times. I've got over 1kwh in daily use along with some other packs with intermittent use. Half of the strings on my main bike have about 1k cycles, since on many days I go thru multiple cycles. That's with cells that have a 500 cycle expected life in their designed use, but our ebikes can be so much lower demand than a power tool. I have never balanced charged them, and stopped even checking after the first couple of months.

Here's my interfacing with batteries on my bike:
I get on the bike and ride.
I pull into the carport, plug the charge connector to the bike, and push the button to start the charger string.
It beeps when done, though I seldom hear it, so at some point later I go back and unplug from the bike and turn off the power to the chargers. I use Bosch 36V lithium chargers, which cut off at 40.5 volts, and have 2p2s for a 7 amp charger at 74V nominal.

The only thing easier would be a solar self charging bike, something I want to build once I get the right charge controller, if my DIY panels turn out to be durable enough to put on a bike.

John in CR said:
Here's my interfacing with batteries on my bike:
I get on the bike and ride.
I pull into the carport, plug the charge connector to the bike, and push the button to start the charger string.
It beeps when done, though I seldom hear it, so at some point later I go back and unplug from the bike and turn off the power to the chargers. I use Bosch 36V lithium chargers, which cut off at 40.5 volts, and have 2p2s for a 7 amp charger at 74V nominal.

Oh Man!! You are in EV Heaven! :D

That's got to be the most positive experience of anyone on here. Let me read some more about the Konion packs. I don't understand, if it's as easy as this, why is everyone always go around and around about LIPOs, Ping Packs, NiMH, etc?

Thanks for making me curious. I'll investigate this some more.

if it's as easy as this, why is everyone always go around and around about LIPOs?

In the link I provided, ebikes.ca is only selling a LiMn pack with 36V in the 14aH size, and the pack+charger is $745. (they also have 48V LiMN in 8ah and 10aH sizes). I was looking for the absolute lightest battery that wouldn't have any voltage sag at my power levels. I can add more size later. Lipo gives me 5aH of 37V for $84 and a 10A charger/power-supply combo for another $80. So...15aH and a charger would be about $370 (with shipping costs added).

I don't recommend LiPo to everyone, and I got a great price on some used LiMn cells that probably have about half their life left in them.

EVBiker2000 said:
Well, I know it sounds irrational....but I'm really serious....I really don't want to be constantly tearing apart my battery packs every other week. LIPO has too many headaches for a technology that only lasts for 300 charges. It's not that I'm not a tech nut or a garage hacker...I love that. But I like to fully understand what I'm working on...don't like this "black magic" aspect of LIPOs.
Well, LiPo is a relatively cheap way to get high-C-rate batteries for ebikes. If you really want to know all about them and understand them, there is probably enough information here on ES to overload most people (including me) if gone thru too quickly. :lol:

Right now it's kind of scattered, but there are people working on gathering up that info and condensing it into technical and FAQ threads in the various sections of ES, to help cases like this.

"Irrational" or not, it is your own decision to make; I think that we all just want to be sure you're making an informed one. :)

If you do decide to get rid of the LiPo, I definitely could use it (and could almost afford it at your offered price :lol: ).

I'd actually go for a homemade battery. Say 1.2V NiMH AA batteries configured in a series parallel combo. At least if I constructed it I would fully understand all it's limitations.
Although those limitations are fairly severe, unfortunately. Just about all NiMH cells I've used new or otherwise are over-rated by their manufacturers, especially if they end up in high-C rate applications like ebikes. The AA cells are some of the worst in that respect, though C and D are bad enough.

I've been using D and F cell NiMH, and it can barely run my bikes, with a 48V (sometimes 60V) 13Ah pack, or a 36V 9Ah pack. Even given that these packs are well-used and abused, even a bit damaged, they do pretty well, but for my very heavy cargo bikes (DayGlo Avenger and CrazyBike2) they have a hard time putting out the current (at least 2C) without major voltage sag while I'm trying to accelerate into or out of traffic, even with me pedalling hard to help.

With my basic commuter The Velcro Eclipse, the little 36V 9Ah pack just about works ok, but has short range because of the hefty current draw on acceleration if i don't pedal (whcih I prefer not to as my knees are bad).

I'm sure they'd perform a bit better with undamaged new packs, but even then I'd really need to parallel them (which makes things complicated) for better C-rate.

I also have some sub-C cells from powerchair packs, which are significantly better for high-discharge apps than AA cells, and they can't do it on the cargo bikes. Maybe on The Velcro Eclipse they could; haven't tried that. But without heavy pedalling they can't even start up CrazyBike2's old brushed powerchair motor thru-the-gears setup from a stop (though they work once I get going) (haven't tried the hubmotor yet, but expect it to be worse).

I have a bunch more sub-C Dewalt packs I have yet to take apart to salvage the good cells from (NiCD instead of NiMH IIRC). They might fare better than the powerchair packs, if there are enough of them still good.

Also, NiMH can be charged in series as long as you control the current.
Yes, but it can't (safely) be charged in parallel, so if you use series/parallel strings, you have to remember to unparallel them before charging. ;) I've charged NiMH packs with as little as just an adjustable-current-limit lab power supply, so it *can* be simple.

However, LiPo can be charged the same way, as long as (like NiMH or anything else) you don't set the power supply for any higher than the max normally-charged voltage per-cell times the number of series cells. You just dont' get the balancing act during charge that way. But if you don't discharge the cells too far each time, then recharging them this way works fine and unless there's a bad cell or they're really inconsistent among the cells in the pack, they probably won't get out of balance for some time, if at all.

Something like this....place 6 NiMH AA's inline in 1/2 in PVC (or maybe copper because of heat).
You'd want to use metal if you intend to balance charge them (which creates the heat). If you don't do the balance charging, and arent' using them at high C-rates, you could get by with the plastic, but I'd still stick a thermal sensor or Klixon thermal breaker inside there with them, if you go with plastic, in case something goes wrong.

The catch with metal is that vibration will eventually rub off the outer paper or plastic labelling of the cells, and once it happens to two of them then they'll short thru the case, albeit probably intermittently. As that happens, they'll essentially short-circuit across however many cells apart they are. If they're sequential, just one of them. If they're end cells, then five of them. :( You'll get wierd behavior of the pack, and have to take it apart to troubleshoot.

I know this happens because I have a Stanley LED flashlight with aluminum tripod legs that hold the batteries, and I use AA NiMH in there. Eventually the thin plastic wore out on them, from vibration just being carried around on the bike occasionally. Killed one cell totally, overheated it till it leaked. :( Had to take the leg apart to push it out with a tool from the other end, as it had swollen and could not be tapped out like usual. :(

Add some spring type connectors on the ends, and so you then have a 7.2V 2.3 AHr battery that can be charged without disassembly and no need for balance connectors.
Keep in mind that it won't be a 2.3Ah stick at the C-rates you'll be using them at, most likely. Unless you parallel a LOT of them, my guess is you will not even get a third of that. Even in that 20lumen LED flashlight, I don't get the rated Ah of the cells (some 2Ah, some 2.3Ah), perhaps half to three quarters of that. (calculated based on the draw from the LED, rather than directly measured by a wattmeter).

Also be careful which springs you use. If steel, they'll add resistance to the pack circuit, and cause heat at higher current draws. Maybe not a lot, but it still wastes power. Plus be careful of the springs de-springing :) so that they no longer fully compress the stick of cells together, and then you get intermittent disconnects on some sticks during vibration or bumps, causing higher draws on other sticks in parallel with them. There is a thread on how to make a solderless battery pack using various types of springs and boxes and whatnot, somewhere here on ES. I can't remember for sure, but I think the member that wrote it starts with an "L". :( It's got a lot of useful info that relates to this type of setup.

EVBiker2000 said:

As far as the charger, well that was my fault. I was trying to figure out why the LIPO pack was arcing like crazy when I plugged it into the icharger. Course now I know that it has caps that it's charging up that cause this arc. But I thot I was shorting something....well, after worrying and unhooking my balance board from the Icharger, I did short something!!!! One of the connectors from the balance board hit the icharger connector.

View attachment 1

I'd actually go for a homemade battery. Say 1.2V NiMH AA batteries configured in a series parallel combo. At least if I constructed it I would fully understand all it's limitations. Also, NiMH can be charged in series as long as you control the current. Course it's slow charging but at least I know it will work for 500 charges as long as I control the charge/discharge rate. And if some AA's go bad, I can walk over to walmart and buy a pack 4 without ordering from HONG KONG of all places. GRRRR!

Something like this....place 6 NiMH AA's inline in 1/2 in PVC (or maybe copper because of heat). Add some spring type connectors on the ends, and so you then have a 7.2V 2.3 AHr battery that can be charged without disassembly and no need for balance connectors. Course you have to slow charge it. But you could make dozens of these and they are easy to mount. I could make lots of spares also. What say ye?

Sadly, will not work my friend.

That charger had no malfunction. It had the balance leads in the wrong spot. (its easy to do if you're not used to them).

NiMH strings each need there own charger.

EVBiker2000 said:
Oh Man!! You are in EV Heaven! :D
Yep. I don't know how so many guys do the pain in the ass routine. I like to use my bikes. I like to build bikes. I don't like fiddling with my bikes just to ride them. I'm all about convenience, and that's why I've resisted going Lipo for so long despite using high power bike. I'm in the process of going Lipo on some shorter range, very high power bikes, but my goal is to set it up to be as easy as possible by sticking to max 70% DOD, conservative top of charge voltage, and bulk charging with my Bosch chargers most of the time and balance charge occasionally. First I will have to run the packs for a few weeks the pain in the ass way until I'm comfortable none of the RC packs have issues. Then I can go to a convenient routine.

That's got to be the most positive experience of anyone on here. Let me read some more about the Konion packs. I don't understand, if it's as easy as this, why is everyone always go around and around about LIPOs, Ping Packs, NiMH, etc?
Thanks for making me curious. I'll investigate this some more.

Lack of broad availability is why the Konion team isn't larger. For about a year I snatched up the lions share of the Makita packs Doctor Bass sells. Also, there's probably some hesitation to build their own packs. I've reduced it to a very simple process with which I can build packs in whatever shape I want. The only time consuming part is charging all the blocks of cells so the individual cells are at the same voltage, and then discharging them in one long high voltage string using a series string of light bulbs. That enables me to capacity match those blocks to form strings of 2p. I parallel the 2p20s strings only at the ends. Assembly is a matter of simplicity.

John

Just curious what you guys thinks about trappermike's and Ypedal's comments made on this forum about how Nicd batteries, although "old" time technology, have made up some of the longest lasting and easiest to use battery packs for their ebikes.

I understand that both trappermike and Ypedal have moved on "lithium" based packs....but they had apparently good experiences from just Nicd packs.

Anyone here want to comment about Nicads? Maybe Nicad's are what you call "ole reliable" instead of NiMH. :)

nicads: expensive compared to lithium now, extremely toxic ( nickel and cadmium.. need i say more ), special charging needs, heavy.

positives? very abuse resistant, good discharge rate, good cycle life.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nickel-cadmium_battery

Back