Is DIY dying?

2old said:
Also, a four pound DIY mid-drive motor like some of the OEM's would be nice. I realize that's not the focus at ES.

I think that would be a good match for 750W maximum and 20 mph maximum, with an average sized rider and no cargo. Which is exactly the job they're trying to do.

If the job is harder than that, it would be a good idea to have more motor.

Lightest.bike seems to come out quite soon with a very lightweight mid drive.

Also, hooking up a small hub motor as a mid drive is a really easy way to get a light, silent, low power setup with decent torque. IMO better in many aspects than the mid drives that are on the market now. Thats DIY :D

Balmorhea said:
2old said:
Also, a four pound DIY mid-drive motor like some of the OEM's would be nice. I realize that's not the focus at ES.

I think that would be a good match for 750W maximum and 20 mph maximum, with an average sized rider and no cargo. Which is exactly the job they're trying to do.

If the job is harder than that, it would be a good idea to have more motor.
That would be fine for me since level 3 (of 9) on my BBS02 is enough power (the controller is 22 amps with whatever the stock settings were; the motor is five years old and I haven't needed to do any tweaking or maintenance after 400 or so rides).

HrKlev said:
Lightest.bike seems to come out quite soon with a very lightweight mid drive.

Also, hooking up a small hub motor as a mid drive is a really easy way to get a light, silent, low power setup with decent torque. IMO better in many aspects than the mid drives that are on the market now. Thats DIY :D
Thought about it, but too DIY for me. I'll just ride my 45 or so pound hardtail.

Here's one that looks as trivial to install as anything I've seen and weighs under 6 lbs. Kind of spendy, but not all DIY is low budget.
https://newatlas.com/bicycles/elevate-mountain-bike-motor/

It comes with a special rear disk brake, with I think an extra geared disk kind of like a chainring. The motor attaches along with the disk. Since it's outside the hub, I guess this is in the light weight mid-drive category.

donn said:
Here's one that looks as trivial to install as anything I've seen and weighs under 6 lbs. Kind of spendy, but not all DIY is low budget.
https://newatlas.com/bicycles/elevate-mountain-bike-motor/

It comes with a special rear disk brake, with I think an extra geared disk kind of like a chainring. The motor attaches along with the disk. Since it's outside the hub, I guess this is in the light weight mid-drive category.
Thanks; I might be interested when PAS is incorporated. Looks like you're hooked into the Sea Otter "experience". Be nice to have you report on anything else of interest if you're able.

No, not at all, I just happened across it this morning somewhere else. My DIY angle is that I'd rather ride a recumbent bicycle. Not real interested in PAS, either, for that matter, but I guess that's an anti-DIY aspect of this solution - if you must use their controller, you're stuck with whatever it supports.

It seems to me I've seen another similar solution, using a big ring mounted on the spokes instead of the brake disk, like a Wizzer but with a small electric motor.

efMX Trials Electric Freeride said:
that's the Aden sports LH drive you elude to;).. search this forum you will find some video etc..

Yes, indeed, thank you. I'm glad to see they're still at it. One of the interesting characteristics of this design seems to be that you can choose from several ratios, by selecting from different rack diameters. Not on the fly, it apparently takes a couple minutes, but at least you don't start from scratch as you would with a geared hub.

DIY on the really cheap is probably static at best. Follow the money. E bikes in general are evolving fast and have not reached the stage of a rush to the bottom for price and quality yet. As the market matures the rush to stock Wal Mart with e bikes will take place. Those cheap e bike products will end up in the used market and allow builders to build $50 e bikes. Give it 10 years.

In the mean time the commercial e bike market is also driving what is available for the DIY. One thing about Asia in general is that anything that is developed for the commercial market makes it into the DIY market as well.

DIY is way more than bolt a motor onto a $50 bike, make a battery pack and away you go. If you are willing to alter frame or order new frame types the market has opened up a lot of possibilities.

Bafang for instance has a lot of OEM stuff that can be had off the internet. Bafang even has a drive shaft/mid drive system and light weight systems out there. The availability has certainly opened my mind to the possibilities that are available for essentially making myself something that is commercial looking and performing in nature but specified the way I want it.

Right now I am looking at ordering a fat titanium cargo frame that will accept a Bafang M620 drive unit and customizing a big battery for it. I want something big and badass for long distance remote dirt touring.

Thanks for the "lightest.bike" suggestion. They claim to be offered on indiegogo soon. According to their site the system adds four kg (about nine pounds). I rode Paul Daniels' similar kit and it was excellent and added about the same weight. Waiting for Paul to make more.

Great topic. I'm a pre-natal ebike DIYer. I've been lurking here and on reddit's ebike sub, deciding what to get. Background: onroad/offroad motorcyclist and road bike rider. Yesterday someone on reddit posted a sale on a 250w hub motor Walfart mountain bike with decent reviews for just $400. Experts said "...deal of the century for something useable." Rim brakes, crappy fork, ugly welds - believe me, i know. Its not a Sur Ron or a Riese & Muller or bafang Ultra on a carbon... I ordered 2 yesterday. And here I am, like all motorcyclists, learning how to upgrade before the damned bike has even arrived! So, I'm in. As a DIYer. I want to order parts this weekend to change to a programmable controller (which one?!) and screen, to add more volts to the 250 hub (is battery capable?) then I want to do a battery build to fit into OEM frame battery space and upgrade hub motor to... whatever you guys say :)
Suggestions for controller (with twist throttle) would be very much appreciated!

R1200GSjohn said:
Yesterday someone on reddit posted a sale on a 250w hub motor Walfart mountain bike ... I ordered 2 yesterday.
[...]
As a DIYer. I want to order parts this weekend to change to a programmable controller (which one?!) and screen, to add more volts to the 250 hub (is battery capable?) then I want to do a battery build to fit into OEM frame battery space and upgrade hub motor to... whatever you guys say :)

So you're going to change out the controller, the battery (and its voltage and location), and the motor.

Why then did you buy a garbage e-bike to begin with? For the same money you could have started with a good used bike or sort of passable new pedal bike that won't disappoint you every time you ride it.

Back