Is the weather just too hot for the controller?

def215

10 kW
I had a question for any of you guys that live in the hotter climates.

So I think this is the first time I've experienced this, but this is what happened. After my new controller came in the other day, I took my bike out for a ride because I got my wattmeter to test my wattage and amperage. I took it down the block twice and then it started to act funny. I went from a 5mph roll, went WOT and the controller started clicking and it went nowhere. :shock: this happened with my ebike where my controller is enclosed in my backpack/battery bag and in +90 degree F weather. The controller is also hot to the touch. Is the weather just too hot for my bike to be running?

No but it's too hot to smother it in a bag.

When my controller cuts out i can not hold my hand on it for an entire second so I'd guess it is about 90C. At that point it would just turn on and off as it cooled down. This was an eZee controller however.

yeah, i know dogman. not the best place to keep my controller but thats the only location i can really find for it because i take it inside at school so i can charge it and also the charging circuit is on my controller also so im not sure what to do with that. maybe i should duct tape an icepack to my controller when i ride...lol. i see that alot when i go at the racetrack. i do it after a quick speed run from time to time.

so el walto, when your controller reaches a higher temp it cuts out, but once it cools back down, it works fine again? im just curious to this because i never had this happen.

As long as the air is dry where you are the icepack may be ok, but if there is any humidity at all, it's going to condense inside the controller, and on it's surface, just like if you spilled a little water in there. Once the controller heats up some components will dry out but others won't, eventually it may cause a problem (might not).

Best solution is ensuring airflow around (and possibly thru) the controller, and running WOT as much as possible.

See my DGA thread for a problem I had due to the AZ heat on Saturday, plus my having to run at partial throttle.
http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=283617#p283617

Of course, enclosing a controller is limited to those feeding low power, and enclosing it with the battery is a good way to shorten the life of both. If you stick to this foolish idea, you need cooling. Not some ice pack only, I mean active cooling. You need to establish adequate air flow through your backpack. Otherwise, you will be condemned to lower power and/or shorter life of your enclosed components.

Feeding high power, does heat a controller mounted in full air flow. Some here building very high performance, had built active cooling for big controllers mounted in full air flow. That says it all.

Back