• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

JM Energy Introduces Lithium-ion Capacitor

safe

1 GW
JM Energy Introduces Lithium-ion Capacitor

http://www.greencarcongress.com/2008/07/jm-energy-intro.html#more

JM Energy, a 50-50 joint venture between MIPOX and JSR Corporation formed in August 2007, has developed a new lithium-ion capacitor (LIC) that combines the electrode coating technique of MIPOX’s ultra-fine coating technology and new material technologies of JSR Corporation. The new LIC offers about four times the energy density of a conventional electric double-layer capacitor (EDLC) and has a voltage of 3.8V, compared to the 2.5V of a conventional EDLC.

lic1.gif

lic3.gif

lic4_2.gif

If I understand what they are advertising, it appears that they have found a way to roughly equal SLA batteries as far as weight and energy using these ultracapacitors made of Lithium.

While not "spectacular" I know that if I could build a bike with the same weight as my SLA's and knew that the lifetime was more or less infinite that I'd be pretty happy. :)

We tend to get addicted to "pie in the sky" dreams of perfection when this seems to be down to earth enough make something worthwhile.

That's my view of it anyway... if this turns out to be pretty cheap to make (a question mark in itself) it might be a near term way to go.

With capacitors you shouldn't have to worry about wear and tear too much... a big step up from a battery that wears out so quickly, like most do now.

koonaone said:
Is this something you are going to keep monitoring for us, Safe?
This is the "Battery Technology" section so anything that relates to batteries and their related "issues" (like how to assemble and use them) are properly placed here.

I like the idea of capacitors over batteries because there is no chemical reaction going on... it's simply a matter of creating a voltage difference across two plates.

The nice thing is that you would have a hard time "breaking" a capacitor (assuming you did things apropriately) compared to batteries that seem to die of so many causes.

Any time I see something of value I'll post it... but there are times when I just don't read about something and I hear about it six months later and everyone says:

"Well gee safe... EVERYONE knows about that... where have you been for the last six months" :lol:

Things move very fast these days...

Back