Kelly KEB or KBL controller for 80-100, build advice

Osarus

100 µW
Howdy,

I acquired a turningy 80-100 from a mate who lost interest in the ebike idea and looking at controllers for it. Im just wondering if im going overkill like usual and the tires will catch fire and explode followed by the motor melting when i touch the throttle!

Looking to run at s12p2 (4x 6s 5ah) so 48v

Dose anyone have any experience with kelly's KEB controllers? or should i get the KBL with the extra functionallity from the j1 plug thats missing on the KEB or are the KEB's more suited to ebike somehow? Or would u suggest something else entirely? kelly seem to have a good rep and have awesome support though from what iv seen. In an email they suggested there 10kw controller! are they nuts? I was looking at there 6kw (im guessing from battery) version

Are they all overkill? i don't "need" to ride up walls! but do want to have fun =D Looking to use on trails so after torque, and why i didn't chase a hub motor, wasn't sure how long a hub would last on tracks! though its really complicating things looking outside hub's...

I believe the motor is currently in delta config, is it worth my time rewinding with thinker gauge wire in wye? or maybe wait until it melts and then replace it :p

I'm currently machining some mounts to put it behind my wheel like so, can u see any problems that might arise?
This makes it removable if i use the existing shafts on the rear tier and top suspension join. and makes gearing a ton easier if i chain it strait to the back tire
bike2.jpg

Also is regen worth it?

From what i understand alot more can go wrong and kill the controller for a very small benefit? or dose it really make a big difference to battery?

Unless you use a massive rear sprocket you will need some for of reduction
setup that motor will spin ~6500rpm on 50v setup..

You will also need to fit hall sensors to the motor if you wish to use the Kelly controller

Regen IMHO on a bicycle aside from braking purposes is a waste of time freewheeling is more beneficial
KiM

Thanks for the reply AussieJester,

Hall sensors have already been ticked off my list, and i realize ill most likely need a dual/planetary gear system of some sort.

Currently looking at planetary gearbox's but cant find much for this sort of kw at less then $(insert high number) >< and think its a little advanced for my cnc machine skills... might try a 2 stage reduction to start and see if that has usable torque without pushing the controller too far.

Back