alex12342011

100 W
Hey guys,

Decided to share my work in progress.

2005 Kona Kikapu, 20" frame.

9C 2806 Rear Kit

Schwalbe Big Apple 26x2.35 Tires

Avid BB7 front brake and Nukeproof pads

Grin Universal Torque Arm (this has worn out and the axle tries to rotate during regen after a year of use)

Stator varnished and internals sprayed with oil. This is a must if you plan on venting your hub and running wet.

Controller is a 9FET Lyen, programmed to 40A battery/90A phase.

Battery is made up of Emoli IMR26700 cells from Milwaukee powertool packs. 14S6P giving me 58.8V and about 11AH fully charged.
battery 1.jpg
View attachment 1

Falcon EV frame bag.
Yes this will stand up to rainy weather, but the zippers have waterproof strips covering them which can easily tear after abuse.
Zippers themselves are fine, just the thin waterproof flaps aren't something that will last if you keep zipping/unzipping.

Top speed on the flats is 55kph, with 230lb 6'2" me on it.

Here is the first iteration of my build. A bit half-assed as the frame bag rubs against the rear shock. And all electronics sort of stuffed into the frame bag.
886802_334000130053701_345692859_o.jpg

My first order of business is to upgrade how the battery mounts to the frame.

I will be using 1/8" polycarbonate to make a box. Here I have made a mockup with cardboard for test fitment.
Ebike.jpg

More to come...

Just picked up a 2001 King Kikapu on craigslist today. Interested to see how yours turns out. Considering a Yescompusa DD hub for mine to start and eventually a lighteningrods kit when the budget allows.

How do you like the handling on the Kikapu with a rear hub?

Had final exams, was quite busy :oops: .

So I am no longer going to be using my Emoli battery pack. I want to instead use 18650 Sony Konion cells (just salvaged 300 of them from power tool packs) and go for at least 100V. I might even go for 28S and a 24FET controller. At the moment the controller is using 4110 FETS, and I have a bunch of 4115 FETS which could be installed. I'd also need to replace some controller capacitors to handle the increased voltage.

To answer your question, I like the handling (for my purposes). The bike has good front travel, and the rear shock is adequate for the street with the rear hub. Off road, the rear suspension response is not ideal due to the increased rear wheel mass. I find that the rear swing-arm and shock respond slowly to bumps and rough terrain. Going off-road is still doable, however I always get the urge to go on a nice flat road instead.

Since I will be riding mainly on the street, I will be fabricating a custom swing-arm to lengthen the wheelbase and include thick pinch type dropouts. I want to slightly lengthen the wheelbase due to the increased speeds I will be seeing as a result of running higher voltage.

Here is the redesigned battery box in 1/8" polycarbonate :)

18650 cells will sit nicely in the top compartment of the triangular box.

Still need to figure out how to add mounting brackets and the lid.

Polycarbonate Battery Box 55.jpg
Polycarbonate Battery Box 4.jpg

alex12342011 said:
Hey guys,

9C 2806 Rear Kit

Grin Universal Torque Arm (this has worn out and the axle tries to rotate during regen after a year of use)

Stator varnished and internals sprayed with oil. This is a must if you plan on venting your hub and running wet.

Battery is made up of Emoli IMR26700 cells from Milwaukee powertool packs. 14S6P giving me 58.8V and about 11AH fully charged.
battery 1.jpg
battery 2.jpg

Falcon EV frame bag.
Yes this will stand up to rainy weather, but the zippers have waterproof strips covering them which can easily tear after abuse.
Zippers themselves are fine, just the thin waterproof flaps aren't something that will last if you keep zipping/unzipping.

Here is the first iteration of my build. A bit half-assed as the frame bag rubs against the rear shock. And all electronics sort of stuffed into the frame bag.

I will be using 1/8" polycarbonate to make a box. Here I have made a mockup with cardboard for test fitment.
Ebike.jpg

More to come...
Alex, I'm wondering how your build worked out for you. I have the same bike and have the same basic intentions. I'm especially interested in how the durability has been. I put a BBSHD on the bike last year but took it off after a few rides because the frame deflection was disconcerting. The bike felt like rubber and I was worried about it breaking over time. I don't ride hard.

So has the Kikapu held up? Did you like the handling? Did you ever make that extended swing arm? Thanks!

Stu Summer said:
alex12342011 said:
Hey guys,

9C 2806 Rear Kit

battery 1.jpg
battery 2.jpg

Falcon EV frame bag.

Ebike.jpg

More to come...
Alex, I'm wondering how your build worked out for you. I have the same bike and have the same basic intentions. I'm especially interested in how the durability has been. I put a BBSHD on the bike last year but took it off after a few rides because the frame deflection was disconcerting. The bike felt like rubber and I was worried about it breaking over time. I don't ride hard.

So has the Kikapu held up? Did you like the handling? Did you ever make that extended swing arm? Thanks!

Hey, I'm sorry for replying so late. Maybe this will be useful for another ES member down the road.

I have not been really pushing this bike very hard, but it was a commuter of mine for approximately a year where I put maybe 100-200 miles.

The biggest issue was the rear torque arm, I had been using the grin universal torque arm (which used hose clamps to mount to the frame) and although it worked well when adjusted, it would develop slop if I used regen too harshly.

I think its an OK frame for mild regen (torque arms are a must), and a 30mph max top speed. I wouldn't want to go any faster than this.

For me, being a 210lb guy I didn't have any issues with the frame. I had Schwalbe big apples and was riding around on the road.

Ah, I really need to get this bike back (it's up North in Canada while I'm away at work in the USA). I thoroughly enjoyed riding it.

Back