Kona Stinky questions before moving my GNG kit to it.

t0me

100 W
Hiya, I've finally found a Kona Stinky, it was the bike I wanted from the beginning. Before I start swapping bits across I know I'm going to need a new BB/chainring set and likely some Lightningrods bottom brackets.
I may change the battery I'm currently using too depending on how hard it is to make a rack work on the Stinky rear end.

New bike
stinky1.jpg

Old bike
schwinn1.jpg

Righteo questions.

1. Is it a 68mm or 73mm bb? I've measured but not sure where to take the measurement from. Red or green arrow?
bbwidth.jpg

2. Its got an swingarm that's offset on either side, what size cyclone isis chainrings will I be able to fit there (in case someone has done the same bike and knows). Cyclone have a 4434 that I'd like, secondary reduction to the 44 and pedaling from the 34 (currently I'm running 4444 on the Schwinn and faster than I'd like). Measuring it looks like they'll fit but without actually buying and sticking them on I won't know for sure if it'll clear that swingarm unless someone's tried them already.
swingarm1.jpg
swingarm2.jpg

Oh yeah and one last question about batteries and the GNG kit. Will the standard controller and motor (and a throttle made for 48V) handle slightly higher voltage? I was wondering if I could build a new battery set from 4 of these, (2S2P) http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__21384__zippy_compact_5800mah_7s_25c_lipo_pack.html. I haven't researched how I'd go about charging them or if they need a BMS yet either. I just know they'd fit nicely in the frame without having to put a rack on the back.

plz post your pics smaller (640x ***)
file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

t0me said:
Hiya, I've finally found a Kona Stinky, it was the bike I wanted from the beginning. Before I start swapping bits across I know I'm going to need a new BB/chainring set and likely some Lightningrods bottom brackets.
I may change the battery I'm currently using too depending on how hard it is to make a rack work on the Stinky rear end.

Righteo questions.

1. Is it a 68mm or 73mm bb? I've measured but not sure where to take the measurement from. Red or green arrow?
View attachment 4

2. Its got an swingarm that's offset on either side, what size cyclone isis chainrings will I be able to fit there (in case someone has done the same bike and knows). Cyclone have a 4434 that I'd like, secondary reduction to the 44 and pedaling from the 34 (currently I'm running 4444 on the Schwinn and faster than I'd like). Measuring it looks like they'll fit but without actually buying and sticking them on I won't know for sure if it'll clear that swingarm unless someone's tried them already.
View attachment 1

Oh yeah and one last question about batteries and the GNG kit. Will the standard controller and motor (and a throttle made for 48V) handle slightly higher voltage? I was wondering if I could build a new battery set from 4 of these, (2S2P) http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__21384__zippy_compact_5800mah_7s_25c_lipo_pack.html. I haven't researched how I'd go about charging them or if they need a BMS yet either. I just know they'd fit nicely in the frame without having to put a rack on the back.

I put a gng on a Kona Stinky Deluxe this summer. Was not exactly a bolt on fit. But it works.

1. It is a 68mm the BB.
2. You will not be able to fit 3 gears on the pedal side. The largest inside chain ring you can fit, the one driving your back wheel, is a 44T and that is with mm to spare. I use a 48T on the outside for my secondary drive. I also got the ISIS BB, cranks and chain rings upgrade, the stock ones didn't last.
3. The stock 48 volt controller with the GNG kit can handle up to 63 volts before burning out. So it can handle 14s lipo pack which will give you a 58.8 fully charged. The voltage used on the controller does not impact the throttle, it is a HAL throttle, so it works with voltage range of 1.2 to 4 votls, give or take, that is delivered by the controller no matter what volts you input into it.

The one challenge with Kona Stinky that i encountered, and from reading other Kona builds with the gng, others have had the same problem. Those stinky's really need their chain guides that come stock with it, without them the chain drops regularly. And you have to remove both to fit the GNG. So you will have to make your own chain guides, or find some bought ones and modify them to fit, or in my case, I changed my rear cassette, lowered to the amount of sprockets on it, and used spacers to offset where it sat in the back, which brought my alignment back to a level that my chain didn't drop every little bump I hit.

And one more thing, because of the way the back swing arm is made, the motor bracket on the left side of the BB, needs to have a flat grinded down on it to clear that swing arm.

Hope that helps, don't be shy if you have more questions. There quite a few Stinky's on the forum setup with GNG's.

Wishes

Cheers for that, covered everything.

The cyclone 4444 isis 148mm set swapped straight across, no problem.
I'll see how I like the speed before going to a 48 outside chainring. In fact everything's swapped across fine so far.

I don't have any chain guides on this bike. Don't have any on the old one either. I use the front derailer as a kind of chain guild, will have to see how that goes and make something if its throwing the chain a lot.
Will also have to lengthen or change the chain, the bigger chainrings are too much for it.

Wishes, your front shocks, they the same as mine? Do you know what PSI they should be at and what amount of oil they take? I haven't found a clear answer on the Marzocchi site.

Crossbreak, thanks for the info. I've read most if not all of the threads on the GNG having been playing with the kit for a while now. Batteries however are still a bit of a mystery for me having been using pre-made packs rather than RC batteries. The sheer amount of information is daunting (and time consuming) to sift through but I apologise for looking for the easy way out there. :)
Re the pictures - I actually did resize them before posting! They were 3mb each coming from the camera. I didn't think 640 would give enough detail if people were looking hard at anything. No problem though, will comply. There's a couple of good small plugins for phpbb3 which will automatically resize for inline and link to the original, I run one on a forum I admin for (www.delicaclub.com). Worthwhile mod.

ANy updates?

What a fantastic bike. I'm currently helping another friend out who picked up a 2003 Stinky. We're going to be using the Cyclone ISIS 484432T chainring set up similar to my Stinky and my friend's Howler (http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=50948).

I've only dropped my chain once toward the inside of the chainring on bombing down stairs. Other than that, it's taken any jump or trail terrain I can throw at it. It's nice having a 32T and 44T chainring to shift into up front. I use the 32T to accelerate up to speed before I switch into the 44T for cruising. I don't ever shift out of the 32T when I'm on trails though. That front derailleur does rather well regarding chain retention. It wasn't nearly as good as my bomb proof e13 set up when I was running only a 34T chainring up front (aside from the 48T driven by the GNG).

Well, hope you get it up and running again soon. :D

I hear ya :)

I'm currently running 48/36. I use an old derailer, just half of one actually, and I've extended the front a little and bolted on a chain wheel from an old rear derailer.
On the underside I've got a modified reflector bracket as a guide (found a youtube video describing that idea, works well!). I'll put a picture up about that when I remember to take one.

My controller/chain problems started from a poorly adjusted chain - too long, by about 100mm. I didn't know how to setup a chain properly (I do now, or at least from the best info Youtube has to offer :) ).
My primary chain snapped when the bike drive chain jumped off and jammed up.
Still not sure what caused the controller to die, but it was after that problem so likely related to it.

Given me a chance to re-think the bike a little. I've now mounted my 15ah lifepo4 in the frame triangle. The BMS fits there too. I'll find a home for the controller when it arrives as I've no idea how big it might be yet.
Maybe on the top of the front of the forks, I liked the look of one I saw mounted there the other day on here somewhere.
I've also modified a thumb throttle, and mounted it on the left side. I think it might be less wrist strain with that and the right side was too cluttered to have a thumb throttle as well.

Oh and GNG sold me a spare controller for about $50, one that had the wires cut but had been tested as fine.

I'll post up some pics of the finished bike when its all together.

Back