Kranx powerstik (drill powered)

sk8norcal

1 MW
:|
@$200 for the kit

no brake?
looks unsafe, running off the board would be weird with that cable in the way, especially for regular footers.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/kranx-powerstik/the-kranx-powerstik-a-new-way-to-cruise?ref=nav_search

[youtube]Bi5InG3hMQU[/youtube]

40ee988420d4aec228da26585dff5253_original.jpg

ouch....that hurt. :D I've been blasted!

This is Tony Ward the guy who came up with this crazy thing. I appreciate that you guys are not supportive of this idea. It is kinda weird. And some of the practical issues mentioned are not without some merit.

To address the braking issue: actually I have been bombing around on this for a couple of years and have, so far, been braking fine. I am not doing any powerslides (not going fast enough, nor am I really that capable) but have been doing the traditional foot stop method. Other than wearing the sole of my shoe down a little over time it has worked out quite well. Most longboarders typically use the foot stop method plus powerslides at higher speeds.

If I do want to run off the board I can, and do, that as well. Since I have a hold of a drill connecting to the board the board never shoots away with this method.

You are right, regular footers have it a little different than goofy footers like me. However, my business partner, and long time skater, Jon Kroeker who rides regular doesn't seem to have an issue with it either. In fact, it is because he liked the idea, and had tried it, that he wanted to know if I wanted a business partner.

Feel free to still think it is a dumb idea, that's no problem; like I said it is a little different. I don't expect to convince you that it isn't. I just wanted to present some feedback to the comments. I continue to have a fun time on this thing every time I go out on it. And so far I haven't received any negative reviews when people see it/me in person cruising around; usually it's a lot of "that's awesome". The only thing I constantly hear is about me not wearing a helmet...and they're right.

Take care guys, :)
Tony Ward

@$200 for the kit

no brake?
looks unsafe, running off the board would be weird with that cable in the way, especially for regular footers.

Good on you for thinking outside the box, just do not really see the market going this direction. In a couple years the way things have been going, in my opinion, electric longboards will simply look like longboards with nearly invisible controllers, what with hub motors and batteries built into the deck gaining popularity.
For simplicity and cost factor you may find some buyers who already have a drill and batteries, and only need to commute a short distance, for anything long distance though, having to always hold onto a drill would get old real fast, not to mention the possibility of a fall while holding a drill or needing to throw your hands out for balance.
A market I could see you doing well in is something based around a younger crowd, where the max speed would be 1-5 mile/h

Best of luck to you Anthony, and way to take the criticism so well!

I'm not a boarder, but it seems like it might be good for getting to and from a car in the parking lot at work.

:D I like it. The drill is the motor, controller, & throttle. Need more speed? Swap out to a faster drill. Swapping out batteries needs no explanation.

My only concern may be the gearbox to the wheel. Will it take the full torque that the drill delivers? Never had it break?

I can see this working well for certain people: younger people with not much money who have a drill or maybe can borrow their dad's. People who want to bomb hills but are bored of walking up or don't have someone to drive them up over and over (maybe because they're too young?). People who are sort of interested in powered boards but just not willing to drop major dough. This device is cheap enough that it could be sold in skate shops as an impulse buy.
I like that you could go for a cruise and when your drill battery runs out just pop the thing off and you've got a regular board with no drivetrain drag (I'm assuming that's possible - if not it should be).
Good luck with it.
Anthony I see you're in Vancouver. I'd like to meet up some time and we can trade boards for a bit. I want to try it!

In response to Freshair. Thanks for the comments. I do appreciate them.

I agree with your notes on what the trend is for electric longboards, it's awesome; there is so much competition in the market place for this type of transportation that I have found at least 5 or more really impressive sounding electric boards coming out in just the last 3 years. Some companies are finally putting the batteries in the board as you have noted which is a good idea to me if they can find the room and don't compromise the integrity of the deck with respect to possible impact. If they lay the cells, which form the battery packs, flat then they don't take up as much height which is a departure from the more bulky looking electric boards of a few years ago. These boards have the rider standing a few inches higher than they would ordinarily due to room required for the battery storage under the board. Higher center of gravity = less stability. Furthermore, you wouldn't want to ride over a speed bump with the battery case or batteries themselves possibly sustaining damage due to the direct hit. With my set-up you can scrape over a curb with a low riding Landyachtz like I have and just scrape some of the graphic on the really tough 5/8 thick deck with no 'real' damage. If you did somehow destroy your deck, you could just swap out the wheels (and Powerstik) to another board no issue.

I don't have the ____ to compete with the 'Electric Skateboard' crowd. So I don't. I am trying to position my product as a fun, and quite functional, novelty. I sure as heck ain't reinventing transportation, nor skateboarding; what I am trying to do is cause a person to smile while cruising with the audience of pedestrians and drivers you go by while cruising smiling as well. So far that's my experience. Which is why I thought to take this wacky idea from my initial "I wonder if it would actually work" prototype to an actual commercial product.

I smile when I go out for a coffee a couple of Kms away and return on the same battery (Milwaukee 18V Fuel Drill). This sure ain't to the moon and back, but it does seem impressive to me when I think my drill is powering me this distance. I tell people when commenting on battery capacity that "it's one to get you there, one to get you back" referring to the fact that most drills come with two batteries when purchased new. There was a promotion when I bought my Milwaukee so I got 3 - 4 Amp Hour batteries along with an impact gun and regular drill for around $430. I sure have had a bunch of use out of the whole kit! And there are few real competitors, with respect to battery technology, for the top drill companies since they have a lot higher R and D than would any top of the line electric skateboard companie. Additionally, many electric drill companies are coming out with 5 Amp Hour batteries now too. From my experience I can go around 5 Km max for each 4 Amp Hour battery on relatively flat ground. So for me that's a total of 15 Km max. Of course I could just buy, and carry, more batteries but that would require a back pack or similar. I won't likely be doing that:) So I'll leave it to the much more expensive e-boards companies to sort out how to go 20+ Kms per charge.

By the way, with respect to speed, I go up to 21-23 km/h top speed with my Milwaukee. I think I have gone likely around 25-27 Kmh with an expensive Hilti I borrowed; that was fun! This all depends on the grade of incline or decline and rider weight etc. obviously.

Thanks again for your constructive comments. You have been quite respectful and encouraging which I very much appreciate!

Tony Ward

by the way, we've just launched on Facebook - feel free to chime in and 'like' or not. I will be uploading videos etc. Just search kranxpowerstik or use this link, I think https://www.facebook.com/kranxpowerstik?ref=aymt_homepage_panel

I'd never buy one..... but that's awesome!

i love the idea!
so with a huge milwalkee battery fully charged, how far can you go?
in the kickstarter page, maybe you should put up some FAQ. average charge time of the battery, distance, speed, etc...

Hey tung256,

Thanks for the positive comment.

You make some good points with respect to FAQ to be added on the Kickstarter page. In fact, my business partner Jon Kroeker said to me that he had seen your comments and he emailed me saying we should post them. I hadn't had a chance to see your post until now. So on the following link most of your questions are answered: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/kranx-powerstik/the-kranx-powerstik-a-new-way-to-cruise . You've got to scroll right down to the bottom of the page for the answers. Also, I believe I covered some of this information in an earlier post on this forum. I will note answers here as well for convenience.

How fast can you go?
Well, in short, it depends. It's all up to you what drill you choose to power you board. I go approximately 20-23 Kmh (12 - 14 Mph) on flat land using my Milwaukee 18V Fuel. Of course if you are going down an incline it will be faster or up an incline it will be slower. Rider weight is a factor as well. I am around 195lbs. This concept is primarily for relatively flat land. Modest inclines like those found in mall parking lots not a problem. You can check out the following unedited video on my Youtube channel to get an idea of what it can do with a Milwaukee 18V Fuel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_ffx-Z1zSI .

How long does it last?
This too depends. If you have a larger capacity battery set with your drill you will go farther and obviously last longer. Drills come with batteries typically in the 1.5 - 5.2 Amp Hour range. The 5 Amp Hour batteries have just been coming out in the last year. It's pretty exciting to see the improvements in battery technology! These 5 Amp Hour batteries are typically the same size and weight of their 4 Amp Hour counterparts which is great.

For me, I now use a Milwaukee 18V Fuel. My drill set came with 2 batteries plus one bonus battery - all 4 Amp Hours each. I was pretty stoked when I starter to experience rides with one battery that would take me on flat land up to 5 Km! So with one battery on the drill and another in my pocket I have made 10 Km trips. Sometimes I take a total of 3 batteries which give me up to 15 Km.

Of course your experience may be different. A lot of drills come with 1.5 Amp Hour batteries.

I tell people all the time that "It's one battery to get you there, one to get you back."

If you are looking at total time cruising that also depends on whether you are going "all out' or not. If I keep the trigger pinned down the whole time on flat land it's roughly, for my drill, around 12-15 run time as far as I recall. I don't, however, usually have it pinned. When I take one or two spare batteries with me I am usually gone for an hour plus on a round trip.

How fast can you go?
Well, in short, it depends. It's all up to you what drill you choose to power you board. I go approximately 20-23 Kmh (12 - 14 Mph) on flat land using my Milwaukee 18V Fuel. Of course if you are going down an incline it will be faster or up an incline it will be slower. Rider weight is a factor as well. I am around 195lbs ( on a good day :) )

What is the average charge time of the battery you use?
I currently use a Milwaukee Fuel 18V 4 Amp Hour battery as previously noted. If completely depleted the average charge time for one of these batteries I am guessing is around 60-80 minutes (for batteries as well used as mine). I just plugged one in tonight at close to 9:36pm PST and it went green (fully charged) at close to 10:57 pm for a total of 81 minutes.

Thanks again for the questions.
Tony Ward

by tung256 » Tue May 19, 2015 8:40 pm
i love the idea!
so with a huge milwalkee battery fully charged, how far can you go?
in the kickstarter page, maybe you should put up some FAQ. average charge time of the battery, distance, speed, etc...

@ Anthony Ward :
I might be wrong but in my current understanding, you have to hold the drill quite strongly because the acting torque to the Wheel transfers in your hand has a reaction,

is it?

what power is that drill ?

I'm working on an AC model of this exact thing and I plan on packaging it with 8 miles of extension cord, with a range upgrade option that includes 12 miles of extension cord.

longhairedboy said:
I'm working on an AC model of this exact thing and I plan on packaging it with 8 miles of extension cord, with a range upgrade option that includes 12 miles of extension cord.

I can't wait! I've been waiting for one of those for so long!

Please add to your FAQ. How do I get my extension cord back after I have travel the 12 miles? :mrgreen:

torqueboards said:
longhairedboy said:

I can't wait! I've been waiting for one of those for so long!

Please add to your FAQ. How do I get my extension cord back after I have travel the 12 miles? :mrgreen:

Just ride around in circles to coil it up!

longhairedboy said:

That's awesome; I love it! :D

made_in_the_alps_legacy said:
@ Anthony Ward :
I might be wrong but in my current understanding, you have to hold the drill quite strongly because the acting torque to the Wheel transfers in your hand has a reaction,

is it?

what power is that drill ?

Good observation and good question.

You are correct. The torque is transferred just like it would when you use the drill for drill type actions like drilling a hole or screwing in screws. There is more torque obviously when you start going, but it's always best to start out by kicking a couple of times and then slowly pressing on the trigger to get up to speed. Once up to speed the torque is not very noticeable to me.

My drill is 18 volts.

What you have there is a flexible drive shaft. Why use a drill? Make the thing 6-12" shorter and it allows you to mount your motor on the side/bottom/top of your board. You don't have to worry about mounting your motor to the trucks b/c its made to move.

Seems like a great product with a poor use.

that0n3guy said:
What you have there is a flexible drive shaft. Why use a drill? Make the thing 6-12" shorter and it allows you to mount your motor on the side/bottom/top of your board. You don't have to worry about mounting your motor to the trucks b/c its made to move.

Seems like a great product with a poor use.

Hell with a flexible drive shaft, you could mount this 9 horsepower Stinger V8 between your feet:
http://www.gizmag.com/worlds-smallest-supercharged-four-stroke-v8-production-engine/24372/

line up some dual exhaust going out under the kick tail and design a rear truck with a differential and live axles.

NOW we're getting somewhere.

Interesting. Coming from this industry I'm a bit perplexed, but this is, nonetheless, a good idea, and easily ramp-able since there are no electronics to debug and battery regulations to abide by.

I can see drill makers adding a new line to their warranty clause... "Do not use on skateboards"

Back