Lacing Crystalyte The Crown TC80 to Mavic

Deeze

100 mW
Hi I have a question from the community, I have a TC 80 which I had planned to use with a Mavic EX832 rim. Two bike shops have told me its too difficult and aren't much help. The motor ships with 12G 12mm nipples ( rim needs 14-16mm ) 16mm 12g nipples are as rare as rocking horse shit. I'm stuck ATM. Any suggestions on how to make this combo work or a 26" rim which is very tough and would lace up without the agony?

I bought 2 of these and stripped the rim off one to use with my motor. Rim is solid as hell and takes 12g spokes and nipples.
http://www.amazon.com/Weinmann-DH-39-Alloy-Nutted-Black/dp/B000C15EBW/ref=sr_1_19
http://www.weinmanntek.com/Products/FREESTYLE/DH39.htm

bassett said:
nice just drill the eyelets bigger doesn't sound like a very good bike shop

No eyelets to drill on the UST rim:
h-2468-1561.jpg

So those fancy little inserts in the rim won't accept the larger 12G spoke nipples?

Why would the motor require long nipples? Wouldn't longer spokes to match the ERD and motor specs work better?

I've never done a Crown motor, so I'm interested to know what the real issues are, so thanks for posting your question. Those come with the bent spokes?

cal3thousand said:
So those fancy little inserts in the rim won't accept the larger 12G spoke nipples?

Correct, they're for 14G nipples only. The inserts are alloy, very thin & have tight tolerances so no wiggle room to just 'drill something out to make it fit' without compromising strength severely.

Why would the motor require long nipples? Wouldn't longer spokes to match the ERD and motor specs work better?

16mm nipples are needed so you can get a spoke key on the nipple flats once they're in the inserts.

I've never done a Crown motor, so I'm interested to know what the real issues are, so thanks for posting your question. Those come with the bent spokes?

The Crown has quite a few real issues. It only suits 12G spokes, the spokes have a straight pull head but with a 26deg kink in them so not off the shelf. So, the spokes Crystalyte supplies for 26" wheels only suit a 26" rim with quite a small ERD or the spokes end up to short.

A second issue, unrelated to this UST rim build question is that the left & right hub flange hole drillings are offset such that they don't match up with moped/dirtbike rim's directional dimpled holes.

So, if you try to build a TC into a bicycle rim it's tough to find one suitable for the supplied spokes and if you try to build one on a moped/dirtbike rim the dimpled holes won't line up correctly (defeating the whole point of having directional rim holes in the first place).

Your biggest problem is going to be finding a rim with an ERD that matches your spokes. The fact that your wheel is 26 inches means little to nothing, as the ERD of one 26" rim could be the same as another 29" rim and someone else's 20" rim. The Rim's size is based on the outside of the rim, and is fixed to a set ISO standard for each tire size. The ERD (effective rim diameter) is the measure of the inside of the rim, and isn't a fixed number. Some rims are thin, and have a large ERD, others, like Deep V style rims are very thick and have a very small ERD. The chances of finding another rim with exactly the same ERD are somewhere between slim and none.

The Crown uses that proprietary spoke that isn't something a normal bike shop will have. You might try contacting Ebikes.ca and see if they can get the spokes for TC in the size you need.

Thanks for the responses. I am going to try and lace it into a rim I have laying about and I won't get the cold sweats when I take a drill to it ( unlike a 823 ). I will let you know how I got on and will post some pics.

PS as a quick measurement the supplied spokes Dont appear too short but time will tell.

wesnewell said:
I bought 2 of these and stripped the rim off one to use with my motor. Rim is solid as hell and takes 12g spokes and nipples.
http://www.amazon.com/Weinmann-DH-39-Alloy-Nutted-Black/dp/B000C15EBW/ref=sr_1_19
http://www.weinmanntek.com/Products/FREESTYLE/DH39.htm

Thanks looks good

So after realising that I was going to have to build this wheel myself - here it is. First wheel I have ever built and all went pretty smooth. I will take it to a shop that can check spoke tension and give it the thumbs up. I was originally told by one of the leading electric bike shops in Sydney after they had it for a week that the spokes would definitely be too short and I should contact Crystalyte for custom spokes. Well if anything these spokes are a bit long.

Attachments

• rps20140513_091323.jpg
    rps20140513_091323.jpg
    191.9 KB · Views: 881
Deeze said:
Well if anything these spokes are a bit long.

Nice work! Your rim has a deep profile so it would be close to what Crystalyte supplies themselves.

Are your spokes protruding past the head of the nipple? If not and tension is good, the current length is probably fine.
SpokesandNipples.jpg

voicecoils said:
Deeze said:
Well if anything these spokes are a bit long.

Are your spokes protruding past the head of the nipple? If not and tension is good, the current length is probably fine.

The spokes are protruding about 1mm on avg. Which from my ammature wheel building senses tell me is quite good. The real thing I'm after is getting custom quality spokes that will lace a crown to a EX823 which is a challenge.

Deeze said:
So after realising that I was going to have to build this wheel myself - here it is. First wheel I have ever built and all went pretty smooth. I will take it to a shop that can check spoke tension and give it the thumbs up. I was originally told by one of the leading electric bike shops in Sydney after they had it for a week that the spokes would definitely be too short and I should contact Crystalyte for custom spokes. Well if anything these spokes are a bit long.
Is that the Mavic EX823 rim?
Did you just skip the original Mavic nipples?
Did you have to do some drilling at the spoke holes?

I've got my TC65. Bought it with rim from Crystalyte Europe. It should have been laced with a 25mm rim but came with a 19mm :( Anyway, the lacing where a terrible work . Both skew and oval. So I have decided to throw that rim away, reuse nipples and spokes. Question is what rim to use? As I understand it there are no standard DH rims that takes 12G nipples. But if one drill out the nipples it should work. I guess since it's not possible to use eyelets there are no ERD measure to fall back on?

Back