Last set of BBSHD system (and some bike) questions

JayCee

1 W
I'm about to order a BBSHD kit to do my first e-bike build, but have a few remaining questions - I'm trying to get everything I need in one shot. I've never owned or even ridden an e-bike before, and I've only seen a couple on the street, so if my questions are idiotic, sorry - I'm ignorant. I actually haven't done much bicycling either for a long time - I used to road race ~35 years ago, but was seduced by the gasoline engine...

I'm putting the kit onto a Motobecane 29er mountain bike w/ 73mm BB (529HT), so I am assuming the 68-73mm standard kit is the right one. I'm going with 52V too.

1) Is the controller set up for 52V, or is it just a 48V controller that is over-voltaged? They do have undervoltage lockout built in to the drive control, right? Is the display the brains of the operation and control all of that stuff, or is it actually inside the controller attached to the motor?

2) Best throttle type? Being an avid dirtbiker, twist throttle seems natural, although I have a ATV too, which uses a thumb throttle (both on the right side). Push-button shifter for the rear derailleur is also on the right side of the bike - is interference a problem with a thumb throttle? A right-side thumb throttle seems like a sure-fire way to make sure to get off the throttle when shifting, so I was leaning that way. Pros and/or cons of either type?

3) Speaking of shifting, I was not planning on getting the gear sensor. I read a couple of sketchy reviews, and it doesn't seem necessary to me. Opinions?

4) Sprockets(!!) How incredibly necessary are the available 42T aluminum sprockets? Does the 9% front tooth reduction make a big difference in performance? They claim more offset on the aftermarket sprockets is better than stock for chain alignment, but then the 30T sprocket has almost an inch LESS offset than stock. I was planning on getting the 30T sprocket for trail riding - how well do the little sprockets work, really?

5) BB tools - not familiar with much in the way of bike tech since 30 years ago (should've seen me try to figure out how to adjust my first threadless steering stem...yikes) - are all bottom brackets the same diameter? What kind of BB tools will I need for the kit install? Does the kit match a specific BB brand, or are they mostly generic? My bike has a sealed cartridge SUNTOUR BB10-XCT-SQ, whatever that means.

6) Should I get a programming cable? Is mucking with the programming something that is done most of the time, or is it usually good to go out of the box?

7) Any other hints for purchase and/or install that I'm not thinking of?

8) Lastly - I want to put on a cheapie DC/DC converter LED headlight that I can run off of the Li-Ion pack. Any leads?

Thanks tons - I've really enjoyed participating in this forum. Can't wait to report on my build (assuming it works someday...).

JayCee said:
I'm about to order a BBSHD kit to do my first e-bike build, but have a few remaining questions - I'm trying to get everything I need in one shot. I've never owned or even ridden an e-bike before, and I've only seen a couple on the street, so if my questions are idiotic, sorry - I'm ignorant. I actually haven't done much bicycling either for a long time - I used to road race ~35 years ago, but was seduced by the gasoline engine...

Never mind. I figured I'd just go with everything.

I ordered a std width BBSHD kit, twist throttle, gearsensor, 42T and 30T sprockets, hydraulic sensors, programming cable, a 52V rack-mount battery, and a charger. Blamo.

Back