Led power switch replacement for EM3ev 52V (14S5P) Jumbo Shark Ebike Battery

jfguay2

1 µW
Hello all,

Two years ago, I bought a EM3ev 52V (14S5P) Jumbo Shark Ebike Battery from EM3EV, and have been using it since then, without any issues. Recently, upon a small bump in the road, I noticed the battery would not turn on anymore and upon opening up the case, notice the connector from the BMS to the power switch board was broken (unsoldered). I have been trying to reach out to EM3EV since January 22 to get a replacement one without success.

Other than having to replacement the BMS, which I am hoping to avoid, what can I do to get battery back in working order? I have been unable to find the original manufacturer of the BMS. If I did, I would try and contact them to get a replacement board for the led power switch.

Any help would be much appreciated.,

Batteryless JF

Attachments

• 20220120_125633.jpg
    20220120_125633.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 199
  • 20220122_140730.jpg
    20220122_140730.jpg
    499.2 KB · Views: 200
  • 20220122_140744.jpg
    20220122_140744.jpg
    507.1 KB · Views: 200
BMS

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=115381

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1706178#p1706178

jfguay2 said:
Two years ago, I bought a EM3ev 52V (14S5P) Jumbo Shark Ebike Battery from EM3EV, and have been using it since then, without any issues. Recently, upon a small bump in the road, I noticed the battery would not turn on anymore and upon opening up the case, notice the connector from the BMS to the power switch board was broken (unsoldered). I have been trying to reach out to EM3EV since January 22 to get a replacement one without success.

Other than having to replacement the BMS, which I am hoping to avoid, what can I do to get battery back in working order? I have been unable to find the original manufacturer of the BMS. If I did, I would try and contact them to get a replacement board for the led power switch.
That board looks like just a charge-level-meter, and not a functional part of the BMS or battery required to operate. That's very common. Does the switch on that board do anything other than light up the LEDs momentarily to show you how much charge you have left? That's all it does on all the ones I've worked with, regardless of brand.

If so, then if the only thing that is broken is the connector is ripped off the board, then the battery should operate perfectly fine without it. Just tape the wires/connector off so it can't short against anything else, until you can get a replacement power meter board (if you use it to check charge level; otherwise you don't need to replace it).

If it does not work without it, then something else is probably wrong as well, that disconnected during the same bump.

THe most likely thing is simply a connector, either the one from the battery to the controller, or one inside the battery case from say, the main power lead to the switch on the case, or the fuse, or the keylock (if there is one).

The fuse itself could even have failed, or it's fuseholder.

If anything shorted when the connector ripped off that charge level meter board, it could have sent the BMS into a protect mode. Usually this can be reset by disconnecting the battery from the controller / rest of the bike, then waiting a few minutes, then plugging it into the charger that is plugged into the wall. At this point it is usually already reset, but you can just let it recharge fully if you like, before plugging it back into the bike, and testing if the bike turns on now.

Back