• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

LiFePO4 Battery Showdown!

brandonh

1 mW
This link was posted to the evtech list yesterday, and it's definitely worth checking out.

http://zeva.com.au/tech/LiFePO4.php

It's a comparison of different LiFePO4 cells from Valence, Huanyu, PHET, and A123, in both discharge and charge. The author also posted a schematic and software (!) for a moderate-cost battery discharge system.

-Brandon

WOW those A123 cells are just amazing!!!!

Thanks for the link!

Wow very nice, glad that I invested into a123 but I really want to see some cycle lives of all these new lifepo4 cells including the a123s.

Glad to see you made it to the forum brandon

LiFeBATT, Inc. sells their Large Format Cells mfg. by PHET just for LiFeBATT.

Check the website: http://www.lifebatt.com

Don Harmon

Magudaman,

There was an August thread on rcgroups where I guy cycled an A123 cell over 1000 times, then intentionally went over-voltage with each charge:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=732148

Here's the summary text, copied from the first post in the thread:

"
A couple of conclusions (btw the BIG conclusion is how amazing those cells are):

-A123 have a lifespan over 1000 cycles. After all this charging-discharging they are at o better than 80%. With age they loose capacity, NOT voltage.
You will fly with as much power as when new, only a few less seconds/minutes.

-They may be "abused" when charged with no effects. We know a 3s pack can be charged as quick as at +10C rates (under 6 minutes full charge) wiring it directly to a 12V car battery.
My test proved one cell can be charged at 3C rates well over their 3'6 CV limit: 300 cycles going up to 4'3 (yes higher than lipo's 4'2) done no damage/harm to the cell. Not just "no fireworks", plain no harm, no mAh loss, no V delivered loss.

-The only way to damage one A123 cell is taking it to "zero" V, deep discharge status, and keeping it there for some time. After enough time, the cell will refuse to be charged.
So it is a good idea to, either, have balancing taps on packs or, better as their end-of charge V fall is very quick (your plane/heli can get DS in seconds), using a timer and not flewing them all the way down. They do not unbalance themselfes easily (and I personally hate balancing taps) so doing that way they are ok.
"

Yep, I'd like to see cycle testing of the other cells too.

LiFeBATT Cells are testing as good as A123 so far + they have the advantage of being a Larger Format than A123 offers. This means they will ultimately scale better for larger EV & PHEV applications. You should be seeing some independent test results posted here shortly and will be pleasantly surprised @ the results! 8)

Best,

Don Harmon

Yeah but I can't afford that Lifebat stuff man. At $2.80 per cell, I can possibly afford some of those. A diy 5s10p would be like 150 bucks.

Nice graphs, those in that link.

Don Harmon said:

Don Harmon

WOW, they're awesome. :shock: Modular, large capacity - well thought out package.

But 3 times the price of my Lithium pack... :(

Okay finally got done reading the 12 page forum (thanks brandonh) and I am impressed the battery was still putting out as much as it did after 1050 hard cycles. This guy over charged them for over 200 cycles to 4.3v in that test too. It is really amazing.

Mark_A_W said:
Don Harmon said:

Don Harmon

WOW, they're awesome. :shock: Modular, large capacity - well thought out package.

BUT THREE TIMES THE LIFESPAN OF YOUR LITHIUM PACK!

Are a123 batteries the ones you buy from some dealer on ebay, then dissasemble the plastic around the cells, then wire them back together again?

Or can you buy a pack now?

Don Harmon said:
Mark_A_W said:
Don Harmon said:

Don Harmon

Does the higher price of your packs essentially constitute a life insurance policy on them?

If the LiFeBatt pack that I bought from you TODAY had <66% of its rated capacity TWO YEARS & 363 DAYS FROM NOW.. what value would their three year guarantee afford me towards a replacement pack?

G33k

There are only four words in the English language which end in "-dous": tremendous, horrendous, stupendous and hazardous.

Don Harmon said:
Mark_A_W said:
Don Harmon said:

Don Harmon

Almost 10 years then? Guaranteed? Money back if it's not the case?

Even if so, a $1000 36v 10Ah battery is too much for the ebike market I fear. There's a lot of things that can happen in 10 years - and it actually makes more sense financially and from risk minimisation to pay 1/3rd every 3 and a bit years.

What if someone knicked my bike???

I really do think these batteries are priced/sped'd above our market segment, unfortunately. If we can lever off a massive volume increase due to say, mass adoption by a car manufacturer, leading to a big price decrease, it might be viable. But for me anyway, the upfront cost/risk is too high.

Winter has arrived, ( 0 celcius this morning.. i wussied out and took a cab to work :cry: )...

BUT.. i'll be giving those LifeBatts a go in 2008 !!! 72v 10 ah !

You have to look past the " Per Cell Cost " when you consider BMS, Charger, ABS Enclosure, and a warrantee. included and shipping !!!! those things have value to consider !

I'm sitting on 3000 $ of Lithium right now.. none of wich perform as good as i expected.... how wasteful is that. This is why i'll be waiting for reviews and details to emerge from independent testers before i buy in.... some more. :shock:

Yeah I totally agree. When I'm not so strapped I'll consider those, didn't mean for my last post to appear negative. Anyway my POS bikes aren't worthy of them.

Ypedal said:
Winter has arrived, ( 0 celcius this morning.. i wussied out and took a cab to work :cry: )...

Wuss is right! I've skied for fun in 0 Fahrenheit temps with snow blowing so hard I couldn't see three feet in front of me. And you call yourself a Canadian.... :roll: :wink: Spend the cab fare on some warmer duds. :)

Ypedal said:

BUT.. i'll be giving those LifeBatts a go in 2008 !!! 72v 10 ah !

You have to look past the " Per Cell Cost " when you consider BMS, Charger, ABS Enclosure, and a warrantee. included and shipping !!!! those things have value to consider !

I'm sitting on 3000 $ of Lithium right now.. none of wich perform as good as i expected.... how wasteful is that. This is why i'll be waiting for reviews and details to emerge from independent testers before i buy in.... some more. :shock:

The LifeBatt -First impressions and initial testing -bob mcree 10/10/07

I am setting up a power-assist system for Jim Parker of Cruzbike. I will be using the LifeBatt on my bike for some real world testing this week, and the final version will be on his bike soon.

Some test data is attached, and more will follow. My initial impression of the cells is very good. They really can deliver 20C (200A) at about 2.3V and will deliver over 10 Ah @ 2C.

When we discussed batteries a couple of months ago, the LifeBatt was the only complete LifePo4 battery system available to order, and the 3 year warranty makes it seem like a good choice for someone who is very serious about getting the best battery performance possible and the best cost/benefit analysis. $1005 is a lot of money for an ebike battery, and 36v 10 Ah does not sound like a lot of battery; unless you have tried to buy batteries lately and expect to use your bike every day for years. I just got the first LifeBatt 36-10 in North America last week, for Jim's bike. The price includes shipping, 4 amp charger, and a 3 year warranty.

I do not work for LifeBatt or have any connections with them at all. Jim bought the pack and had it sent to me for initial testing and integration with a motor system I have for him. The pack dimensions and weight we were originally quoted turned out to be off quite a bit, but that can easily happen with a new product. The battery assembly has large bms housings that make it a couple of inches thicker than we expected, making us rethink our original mounting ideas. I am working with a prototype pack with no bms they sent me for testing, and this week we will be getting the final version of the pack with the bms.

The first photo shows the pack next to a 36v 12 ah sla rack pack. The 29 lb. sla would deliver about 1/3 less power than the 19 lb. LifeBatt, but mounting the larger battery might be a bit difficult on many bikes. The substantial molded case is modular so the cells can be stacked in rows and columns and bolted together, so it seems like one possible solution will be to split the 36 – 10 pack into two 18v packs and mount them in panniers that way. This would provide better balance and still leave some space in the panniers for cargo.

The next picture is a graph of discharge at 20A. The discharge curve stays above 2.5V for about 90% of the rated capacity, but 2.1v is their spec for low cutoff, along with 4.0v for high cutoff. I believe the bms will have an output for the ebrake signal on a typical controller, and an audible low voltage alarm.

Attachments

• 20a discharge to 10.7 ah.jpg
    20a discharge to 10.7 ah.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 3,149
  • lifebatt and 36-12 sla (929 x 697).jpg
    lifebatt and 36-12 sla (929 x 697).jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 3,147
Excellent !!! THANK YOU BOB !!!!!!!!!! Keep up the good work !

See.. now that's what i want to see.. no BS.. no inflated emotional descriptions ... just good hard Facts....

8)

The charger, can you post a picture of that ? Does it show any CE.. UL.. CSA.. etc... any sings of quality ?? Polarized plugs.. Fans ? default conectors used ?

Any details to share on the BMS charge/discharge specs ? ( I realize the one you got currently does not have BMS.. but are those details worked out or still in the works ? )

the charger with this one is a standard HiPower like many of us use, but is just 2 wires to the battery. the overall impression of the entire system is of the very highest possible quality.

they tell me the new bms will have under and overvoltage protection, part of it in the charger, and that using their charger will be required to maintain the warranty coverage. i have not seen the final spec but i believe they are using an individual linear voltage sensor on each cell to trigger the undervoltage alarm. and just using a regulated charger.

i'll post some more photos of the insides of the pack tomorrow.

don harmon of lifebatt tells me they should have cells available for the do it yourself ebike market early next year, through a limited supply network.

they see the bulk of their business going into bigger vehicles for now, but they are selling packs now, and are bringing lots of manufacturing capability online in taiwan and have the right suppliers and business partners to make lots of batteries soon. these cells are 40 x 138 mm and only LifeBatt will be making that size cells at least for now.

even at the highest possible accelerated life testing it will be months before we know how these cells will perform, but the 3 year guarantee is a good reason to believe them, along with the first class manufacturing operation.

Mark_A_W said:
Don Harmon said:
Mark_A_W said:
Don Harmon said:

Don Harmon

Almost 10 years then? Guaranteed? Money back if it's not the case?

Even if so, a $1000 36v 10Ah battery is too much for the ebike market I fear. There's a lot of things that can happen in 10 years - and it actually makes more sense financially and from risk minimisation to pay 1/3rd every 3 and a bit years.

What if someone knicked my bike???

I really do think these batteries are priced/sped'd above our market segment, unfortunately. If we can lever off a massive volume increase due to say, mass adoption by a car manufacturer, leading to a big price decrease, it might be viable. But for me anyway, the upfront cost/risk is too high.

Starting next year we will have individual Cells with a much lower price available to the E-Bike market - just stay tuned. Our marketing will include you guys, I promise.

Best,

Don

Ah. I thought the molded plastic case seemed really bulky, but I see now it wasn't designed with narrow bikes in mind, but large vehicles, am I right? That makes more sense then.

CGameProgrammer said:
Ah. I thought the molded plastic case seemed really bulky, but I see now it wasn't designed with narrow bikes in mind, but large vehicles, am I right? That makes more sense then.

You are right!

Don

Back