Lightning Rods 2 Chain ring Mod

Remus

100 W
I've recently received a Lightning Rods Small Block kit.

Its got a standard 44 tooth chain ring and drive sprocket assembly.
20150813_220925.jpg
20150813_220942.jpg
Is it possible to modify the stock setup to have 2 drive chain rings ?

I've got bad knees and if the electrics breaks down while I'm 10 KM's inside a forest while I'm riding trails, my knees would cope better with getting out under my own power if I had a smaller drive chain ring to shift down to.

My backup Plan is to use a smaller drive chain ring, I might have to anyway, I've eyeballed the new assembly against the bike, and the chain stay on my Large 2007 Kona Coiler does not leave much room for a single large chain ring. The original raceface setup has a 24 tooth small chain ring.
View attachment 2
View attachment 1
20150813_222357.jpg
All comments and suggestions welcome.

Thanks,
Remus.

The eventuality of having to peddle without power was exactly the reason I got the double chainring.
...it's saved my ass a couple times now...

I don't have much advice on building it up to a 2 speed, but I can snap some pics of mine later if it would help you out.

I have a 2001 stab and it I think it is basically the same frame. It's very tight but it fits. I would suggest carrying an extra chain if you don't want to push home as snapping chains seems to be my biggest issue. The chainline is not great. Make sure your derailleur is well adjusted as the chain gets truely wedged if it falls off.

I've been in touch with Mike, and he's sending me the parts I need to modify the standard assembly.

Thanks for the advice givitago, I'll carry a spare chain with in that case.

Remus I don't know if you have solved your problem with the LR crank set. I too had a 48 tooth crank for my chain and I went to the bike store to try and put a 36 tooth. Once the mechanic changed it because I didn't have the $4 tool to take out the nuts on the crank, I found out that 36 tooth is too small and interferes with the nuts and bolts of the bigger crank. Unless Michael has solved that problem for you that was my experience. I ordered the tool and changed it back to the way it was shipped from Michael.

So 44t doesn't interfere or it looks like just at the extreme where any lower it would.

Would 32t fit under those bolts? 30t is the extreme but would only be for 9-11 speed chains with something like a narrow wide chain ring...

AT 44t I have feeling that my bike will be geared to fast for the steep mountains that I climb and will burn through ah s needlessly....

Nelsjourney said:
John would the purchase of an Internal Geared Hub serve your purpose?

It's an interest I have to follow some people report from first. Not sure about added weight, 150mm drop outs, and reliability over hard riding.

If it at all nears a few kg more, it nears geared hub motors which would be my leaning.

Get an extra 32T Chainring. If if does not fit with Standard chainring bolds. There are special extra long chainring bolds and spacers available from old roadbike 3 Speed Cranks. So with this bolds ans spacer you can make a 3 speed crank out of a 2 speed one.

Back