List of STEEL-framed bikes now available

I amazed my self with how nice a bike I made starting with a cheapo coaster brake beach cruiser.Schwinn Del Mar Cruiser.jpg

The beauty of steel, is weld on it all you want. Adding a new dropout that makes the bike 9" longer makes adding the disc brake mount easy. Soon I'll add a front disc too. So that rids you of both cheap ass wheels. Easy to add a bolt on derailleur too.

Bingo, a longtail cruiser with disc brakes, 7 speeds, and a rear motor.

That is one beauty, Dawg. Very pretty.
otherDoc

Lightfootcycles , Based in Montana make most of their bikes/trikes with cr/mo steel.
I bought a trike from them and had no problems shipping to Canada, it was 7 feet long and fully built. This is my second steel recumbent bike, and the spring like flex with long steel frames is great for comfort, along with the 3 inch foam seat of course :D

Steel for the win in many cases. I chose that cruiser for a high degree of lateral stiffness that type of frame has. The top chain stay continuing on all the way to the headset gives this type frame much less tendency for a heavy load in the rear to cause frame flex.

These guys make their frames from steel. Pricy though. http://www.designlogicbikes.com/products.html

I don't know how well these caliper-mounts work, but they could prove to be useful knowing these exist (in frame selection). If they performed well-enough for a cromo fork, I would even have them permanenty welded in (after a trial run to verify). Not bad at $19 plus T&S

http://custommotoredbicycles.com/disc_brakes_rotors_26_inch_wheels_conversion_brackets

004.35293816_std.JPG

038.296192954_std.JPG

Those are cool. Tack welded my butcher cut homemade front disc mount on to the cruiser last night, so I don't need it.

But that looks like a neat way to add a good brake to a coaster brake bike for sure.

moderator edit: my apologies, link is now fixed

When I clicked on the link:

"You cannot edit posts in this forum.

I don't wanna edit, is this something mere ES mortals cannot view?

Looks like SM posted a link to a page he was editing.

I would love one of those disc brake thingies to give my wife front disc brakes on her trike. 20" steel front fork on her Sun USS.
otherDoc

Thanks guys, 'was immediately drawn to that useful little item and wanted to see how much. $19, not bad for a whole lotta convenience if dealing with a beach cruiser or similar.

What do you think this is cromo?

edit:
Well it took awhile, in 1997 Specialized moved their logo to different bar (Top bar to bottom)
Bikepedia states '96 and below is all cromo.

Thats good news, so if you are looking at a Specialized, just look to see if its logo is on the top bar. Good chance its steel.

I hope this one hasnt sold, with 175 views since May 11,2015 for $25.

edit:
The seller just called, I scored this frame for $25. Picking it up later today.
Now I got to figure out what fits and what doesnt. I got me a feeling I need a new bottom bracket/crankset and headset/fork.

I ordered a rim from Custommotorizedbicycles and they/Lynn sent a page with 5 disc brake adapters, (drawn out on paper) for you to cut out yourself. Similar to the one you posted spinningmagnets.

Made my own for the rear of a cruiser, torque/disk mount, running less than 1000w.(1/4" aluminum however)

Attachments

• rear disc adapter.JPG
    rear disc adapter.JPG
    64 KB · Views: 2,743
I ordered one of the disc brake brackets but they are all over ebay for less than $4.00 so $20 seems a bit steep. The only concern that I have is that if the part slot that goes over the axle doesn't line up nicely, it will be useless. These are usually going on wheels that have round axles so they can be rotated. This is not the case with a hub motor. when it gets here, I'll post up the findings.

I got this frame for $25 from a local online classified website, From serial #, however Specialzed website states "there is no info in the #, go to Bikepedia and do some Sherlock Holmes on your own! for "older" pre 2003 bikes"...... I believe this one is 1994 Specialized Stumpjumper with Forged Dropouts (thats what the knowledgable biker/seller told me, plus it looks like Forged) at 135mm and 26.4mm seatpost, 19" frame with a 23" top tube (which is quite longer then normal), 33.75mm crank. Seems very light, some kind of chromolly steel because the magnet sticks, plus it states on the frame Cr-Mo. Score!

View attachment 2
forged dropout 135(1).jpg

Now the headtube is 1-1/8" so I assume any fork that size will fit.
Crank size is 33.75mm inside diameter by 68.4mm. How do I figure out what BB and crank to get for this unit?

Shimano Square Taper it is.

http://www.dw-cycles.com/

de6102_460a4231bd7d4b7a986f0098cc65b10a.jpg_srz_p_816_397_75_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_jpg_srz

They are a small entreprise in eastern europe.
Fullsuspension and front suspension dh, freeride and dirtjump frames in crmo.
They are built like tanks and can be abused a lot. i am a really happy customer from them and love my frame (sadly not anymore in production.. model necromancer, front suspension DH frame, up to 200mm front fork).

The disc brake mounting bracket arrived today and I am sorry to report that, as suspected, the slot for the axle does not line up well so the strap to secure it to the fork does not line up. If you are adding a disc to the non-hub motor wheel, then this would probably work but it is unlikely that your hub flats will allow it to line up.

I will see if I can modify it since it was only a couple of dollars, if it breaks, then it is no big deal.

Edit:

I managed to modify the section that slides over the axle to fit the axle on the Q100H on the front of the Beast. Bolting it up turned out to be quite easy.

Here is the result of the first attempt at braking from 4 mph:

IMG_0023.JPG

When I made this statement earlier:

I will see if I can modify it since it was only a couple of dollars, if it breaks, then it is no big deal.

I could not have been any more wrong!!!! The list of broken items because of this includes the conversion bracket, caliper, rotor, and the 160mm caliper bracket.

IMG_0028.JPG

Could this simply have been because it was a cheap copy? Maybe.

Will I ever try one of these again? No.

Just an FYI for those of you that were considering using one of these. I am just going to buy the tabs and weld them on.

Markz, those mid 90's steel frames are great; I'm using a Diamondback Axis. Your BB is probably 68mm (you can measure the width), "English" thread which means that it will fit square taper or ISIS systems. Probably a BB spindle length of 113mm will suffice, but if you can't find out what was used, you'll need to experiment. Also, go to the Specialized forum on MTBR and probably have more questions answered than you can think up.

Ch00paKabrA said:

I could not have been any more wrong!!!! The list of broken items because of this includes the conversion bracket, caliper, rotor, and the 160mm caliper bracket.

I was just about to reply to your quote. I wish I'd seen it earlier, but I'm glad you weren't on the list of broken items.

John in CR said:
Ch00paKabrA said:

I was just about to reply to your quote. I wish I'd seen it earlier, but I'm glad you weren't on the list of broken items.

Too true. Too true. If I had been going faster, I might have been. I hadn't really even thought of that.

Back