Looking for a strong non-residue tape?

bumper

10 W
I have jigged a stand made out of wood where my battery will rest on the triangle. I've enclosed the battery in a padded cooler case. The case is colored red so I'd like to wrap it around with some sort of black tape (mainly for stealth reasons). I've thought of duct tape, but that usually leaves a sticky residue. And, it is a pain to remove. Any suggestions for some strong tape that I could use and not break the bank?

I would add that the tape won't be the main way the battery will attached to the triangle. I have some velcro straps fastened to the top tube that serve to hold it in place.

i found some tape called 'Shurtape' in a dumpster and really like it. made in Hickory, NC. it is 2" wide with webbed backing but the sticky is just enuff and it doesn't goo up like the duct tape. i could not find it at home depot.

lemme know if you find a source, something i would buy, which is rare.

Can you wrap it with clear food or packing wrap before applying tape? That's what I do with my RC Lipo bricks before wrapping with filament packing tape.

I use frog tape and then ductape. Frogtape is glorified masking tape that peels away clean. So incase i have to tear my packs down it will be easy. I learned my lesson after my first set of lipo pack. When I took them apart for sale they were totally gummed up from the Gorilla Tape i used. So when i made my pack this year I found the frog tape for the first layer and used Gorrilla tape for the second layer.. I put it to the test not to long ago when I had to change the shape of one of my packs and it peeled off and the pack looked brand new.

Painter's tape if you need to be able to remove it later without residue.

The blue stuff.

cal3thousand said:
Painter's tape if you need to be able to remove it later without residue.

The blue stuff.

Blue stuff is cheaper =P

Here is a link to what I did to my pack so he has a better idea.
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=20398&p=606973&hilit=frog+tape#p606973

Ypedal said:
Regular cheap electrical tape.

You can find the wide PVC tape at some hardware and/or automotive supply.. but a 99 cent roll will cover a fair big, applied while dry will hold bac water, and will peel clean.

I guess ive been getting cheaps stuff.. get that stuff warm it can leave a hot mess behind but maybe its the very cheap cheap electrical tape.

icecube57 said:
Ypedal said:
Regular cheap electrical tape.

You can find the wide PVC tape at some hardware and/or automotive supply.. but a 99 cent roll will cover a fair big, applied while dry will hold bac water, and will peel clean.

I guess ive been getting cheaps stuff.. get that stuff warm it can leave a hot mess behind but maybe its the very cheap cheap electrical tape.

That' cheap stuff is the WORST!! I've used it on cars back in the day and never again. It's only 3M for me now.

You have a good point now that your mention 3m that stuff does work pretty damn good.

Great suggestions. Thanks.

Just to confirm. PVC tape is the same as good old electrical tape?

And, look for 3M brand.

That saran wrap idea sounds good, but I think that it'll be a big mess, I don't know :cry: Maybe I'll try it if the electrical tape thing doesn't work.

Good removable tape can be found online, or locally at the music store or theatrical/DJ supply store.

"Gaffer's Tape"

Strong, fabric base, various colors, no residue, UV tolerant, tears beautifully, stays tacky and reusable if the surface was clean.

Gaffer's tape works great; similar to duct tape but unless it's on there for years you can usually peel it right off. It is what I used to seal the plexiglass faceplate of the transporter console to the body (they screwed them down on the show, but I didn't want to risk cracking the plex).
file.php

(note that in the pic above, it actually has dark gray duct tape on there instead, as I had no more gaffer's tape and no money to buy any, and had to get it ready for display at a convention. The duct tape sucked.)

The other thing you could use if you can wrap it tight enough is taht bandage stuff that only sticks to itself. 3M makes it, seen it in all different colors. I think i even have a short piece of black that the vet used on Hachi when she was in there for Parvo when she was a wee widdle puppy.

Genuine Gaff tape is great stuff - consider yourself lucky if you have a source! Trouble is, IME it does leave residue over time and moisture exposure. Several weeks, maybe months but when left on stuff for long periods of time in various climates, it tends to leave residue.

CIMG0041.JPG
Plan to spend around $20/roll though.

Plastic wrap - those rolls sold in shipping supplies are the best for doing under layer wrapping batteries or anything you wish to protect from tape residue, moisture, etc.. Much easier and more effective for our purposes than the kitchen food rolls.

Back