Luke wins Ultimate Race (Video)

Sacman

10 kW
Congratulations Luke (LFP) !!! :mrgreen:

It's been a long time of trying but Luke finally got his first and well deserved win in a motorized bicycle race against other ebikes and some of the fastest "gasser" bicycles here in California (June 16, 2012). It was a long and full day of motorized bicycle racing at the Adam's Motorsports Park in Riverside, California. Luke did well and stayed out in front of his best competitor on a gas bike, Christophe. Luke's powerful ebike would unleash in the straights and quickly openned up the gap but Christophe was better in the turns and would consistently reel Luke back in.

[youtube]Tb4rQlmNrQU [/youtube]

*****EDIT*****

I also finally got some edited video of Luke's Qualifying Race (earlier in the day)
It nicely shows his power wheelie's on the straights.
Also shows his minor problem with the pedal chain loose and rattling.
[youtube]AypLfVL8N_Q[/youtube]

So awesome!!!!! That thing is crazy fast in the straight.

Good riding and building!!!

Nice one, Luke. If anyone was going to beat the petrolheads it would have to be you!

LMFAO "in the scramble I will probably be the first to get my bike" Gold pure gold! Thats how you win a race luke by thinking ahead :)

yep congrats bro, nicely done 8) your bike on the straights is king and too cool for the other bikes to handle for sure, thats what happens if you bring a knife to a gun fight I suppose :lol: electric for the win all the way :mrgreen:

I will add my congrats as well. Nice job on not only a finish but a well earned win. Got to love the wheelies too makes it just that little bit better than the rest!

Sacman!

Thank you for posting this! It was cool to watch.

and..... Right on Luke!

Tommy L sends.... \\m//

Yeah, the wheelies has to be a knife to the back of the rest of the riders, I am sure he was riding a wheelie at their top speed! LOL!

Footage from the onboard cams is up now. :)

Thank you for all the kind words!

Enjoy guys!

[youtube]rd4CvNXGmB4[/youtube]

Congrat Luke! Excellent race and footage.

Does having the regen function could have helped you for the brakes problem?

I know the motor would have got more hot and the rear wheel is not the best for brake but this might be a great emergency brake :wink:

Doc

Awsome video !!!!! thx for taking the time to create it ( It is a HUGE timesuck making video's !!... )

What was your running voltage and peak amps on the straights ? and how much capacity did you burn during a heat ?

edit : From the sound of those bikes, there were some big CC bikes on that track, looks like an absolute blast !!!!!! congradulations on the finish !

awesome! there are 4 reasons why I would like to visit the USA, LFP, GINDC, GRINDZ and the golden gate bridge :lol: dont worry guys I will give you plenty of warning :lol:

Congrats again on the your 1st WIN on a motor bike race Luke.
The onboard footage was pretty sweet, and your turn-by-turn comentary really
helped to complete the picture of what you were experiencing. Good Job! 8)

Now that your bike has good power I guess you'll need to work on better
handling and better brakes.

Doctorbass said:
Congrat Luke! Excellent race and footage.

Does having the regen function could have helped you for the brakes problem?

I know the motor would have got more hot and the rear wheel is not the best for brake but this might be a great emergency brake :wink:

Doc

We dialed it up a few times, but it was right on the threshold of skidding the rear tire under firm braking all ready. So to turn it up higher would have meant I would have had to limit the rate I could brake.

Knoxie! Funny you say that, as you, Miles, Jozzer, Jeremy, Tiberius, burtie and gwhy are the only reasons I would want to visit the UK.

:mrgreen: mutual respect Luke and you are welcome any time you are over here my friend, I must say I would also like to hook up with Jeremy too got massive respect for him, already met Miles and Steve of course proper top fellas :mrgreen:

Congrats on the win, that bike looks like a hoot! I love how the noise is just increasing wind and decreasing gas bike sounds :mrgreen:

Thanks for making the vids. Now I know what my next scratch built bike will be, a clone of your bike! The big Golden motor, a big controller, and a big battery 8)

Way to do us proud, Luke. Great Job! :D

-JD

Edit: typo fix, how did I lose "us p" from the above?

Thanks for the kind words guys. :)

I learned so much on here that made it all possible, without so many of you guys I would be still putz'n around doing Microsqush's datacenter design bullsh*t.

A bit of important detail I would like to provide for folks looking to make fast race bikes, I had 4.5kWhr on board (I went big on capacity because I didn't know how how big the track was or how many laps I would be racing) the bike, and even in the 12 lap main, I used just a tad less than 2kWhr.

So, on a 0.75mile track (12 lap final), running at leading pace used about ~1.8kWhr to go 9 miles.

Or about 200Whr per mile for race pace.

So, guys looking to get in on the racing (and I can't tell you how much fun you will have, it's totally worth whatever you've gotta do to make it happen), planning on each 5Ah 6s LiPo pack (about 100Whr safely usable) taking you about half a mile at leading pace race speeds.

liveforphysics said:
So, on a 0.75mile track (12 lap final), running at leading pace used about ~1.8kWhr to go 9 miles.

Or about 200Whr per mile for race pace.

So, guys looking to get in on the racing (and I can't tell you how much fun you will have, it's totally worth whatever you've gotta do to make it happen), planning on each 5Ah 6s LiPo pack (about 100Whr safely usable) taking you about half a mile at leading pace race speeds.

Unless you have Ryan riding your Cromotor Hubzilla powered ghetto built ebike for you and you think Farfle and LiveForPhysics might break, then you only need about 90WH/mile with the power turned down so the bike is controllable :mrgreen: I'd like to see what Ryan could do on my bike with a Sevcon powering it and my fast wind version of the motor.

Congrats Luke, it's about time you not only finished, but won too!

zombiess said:
I'd like to see what Ryan could do on my bike with a Sevcon powering it and my fast wind version of the motor.

Ryan had 3kw of peak power being pulled off the battery going to a stock HX35. I think Ryan with just 6-7kw on a bike with good handling would have a strong chance of winning overall.

Back