Luna cycle cyclone stock controller 40 amps PEAK not continuous

Perhaps I'm just very misinformed, or others are. I have a cyclone middrive kit from Luna cycle and have been using the stock controllers for a while. They come with Yuyuang king controllers. I have no idea why people are claiming that it's 40 amps of continuous power. I've gone through two of these controllers and none of them can run at 40 amps continuously. It's peaking at 40 amps, it doesn't go above that, atleast according to the cycle analyst. I've been looking for a controller upgrade and I've seen several threads claiming that to upgrade the controller you should look for something that outputs 40 amps continuously. This doesn't sit right with me. Can someone with a cyclone middrive chime in? Can your controller really do 40 amps continuously? Am I confused or is there just a lot of misinformation?

speedyebikenoob said:

I think you are getting angry for no reason. The 40a yuyangking is 40a max. You pull the trottle and you get 40a if you have the gearing for it. This is the simplest way to describe it.

I don't know what it could do continuously, but it would be a lousy metric to start with. How long does it have to do it? What is it mounted to? What airflow? If the factory disclosed these parameters, would you trust them in the first place?

Maybe it can do the 40a continuous with the right airflow, since it is quite underrated as the 40a and 60a models are the same with the exception of the shunt, so it makes even less sense to get mad at it...

With your particular setup, the cyclone has was lower of a continuous amp ceiling than the controller if you start shunt modding it. Then you would be pissed off at the motor instead, because of them advertising it as a 3000w motor (unless it is winter with perfect airflow, it won't do near 3000w continuous).

Tommm said:
speedyebikenoob said:

I think you are getting angry for no reason. The 40a yuyangking is 40a max. You pull the trottle and you get 40a if you have the gearing for it. This is the simplest way to describe it.

I don't know what it could do continuously, but it would be a lousy metric to start with. How long does it have to do it? What is it mounted to? What airflow? If the factory disclosed these parameters, would you trust them in the first place?

Maybe it can do the 40a continuous with the right airflow, since it is quite underrated as the 40a and 60a models are the same with the exception of the shunt, so it makes even less sense to get mad at it...

With your particular setup, the cyclone has was lower of a continuous amp ceiling than the controller if you start shunt modding it. Then you would be pissed off at the motor instead, because of them advertising it as a 3000w motor (unless it is winter with perfect airflow, it won't do near 3000w continuous).

I'm sorry if I seem overly angry about it, I've just been frustrated with it because I've seen several threads claiming it's 40 amps continuous. I honestly thought the controller was decent for what it was of course, and my frustration was more to do with the misinformation/ lack of info. Regardless, it doesn't matter because the controller popped anyways and now I'm getting another one that's capable of 80 amps peak. (I'll limit it to a lower amount so I don't kill the motor). I was just more curious about where people were getting this 40 amp continuous number from.

Assume it's one of these? https://lunacycle.com/replacement-48-72v-cyclone-ebike-controller/

that tallies with my measurement on a watt meter, it would peak at 40A but generally ran lower. I've shunt modded it to max at 55A now.

check that your speed control switch is set to fast and that your 70% power wire isn't plugged in

electric_nz said:
Assume it's one of these? https://lunacycle.com/replacement-48-72v-cyclone-ebike-controller/

that tallies with my measurement on a watt meter, it would peak at 40A but generally ran lower. I've shunt modded it to max at 55A now.

check that your speed control switch is set to fast and that your 70% power wire isn't plugged in

Yup that's the one. I was just confused because I've seen several forums and threads that said to replace the controller with something that could output 40 amps continuously. There's a 70 percent power wire? I'm assuming I didn't have it plugged in because stock mine would peak at 40 amps too.

Back