Lyen controller problems with geared motor

olivier_fr

1 µW
hello all,
I want to share my recent experience about Lyen controller:
I bought 3 controllers:
1st one: sensorless 6 FET programmable. with shipping cost >100euros
2nd one: sensored 6 FET programmable > 100 euros.
3 rd one: sensored 12 FET M2 EB318, programmable about 200 euros.

the 6 FET SENSORED controller burns after 3 minutes: too much current: phase current must be lower than 60A otherwise it burns MOSFET even if it can support 100A. I replace all MOSFET and after 10 minutes again, it burns at new.
after discussing with Edward Lyen, he recommends me the use of a 12 FET Mosfet. with shipping cost + options, it costs me 200 euros.
the controller works fine but the motor can't go into high RPM. climbing hill is impossible! however current reaches 30A under 60V!!!! but speed is limited to 25-30 km/h.

I finally decide to use the stock controller i bought with my hub motor and it works very fine (shipped with my BPM V2): high torque, high speed: climbing 20%, top speed about 40 km/h.

conclusion: I DON'T RECOMMEND LYEN controller for GEARED HUB MOTOR like BPM or MAC motor: no torque, no speed even if current is set at 30A or above. you will lose your money. prefer buying High speed controller for GEARED hub motor as it is a reducted motor, for 1 RPM of the wheel, the motor will do 3 RPM.

Nevertheless, for GEARLESS hub motor (like Magic pie) it works fine as the RPM of motor is lower than GEARED.
with programmable cable it works fine with custom setup.
And if you want to save money, avoid the mini monster 6 FET controller: even if the MOSFET are IRFB4110, if current reaches 30A MOSFET will burns late or soon.

I cant share your experiences with the controller.
I have a geared hub (BMC V4C) and a lyen controller (12Fet extreme modder edition) and it works like a charm. I limited the battery current to 30A @ 48V.
I can get up to 30km/h on a 15% incline hill and the controller only gets hand warm.
Top speed is ca 50km/h on flat surface.

olivier, i can't say anything about your experience, based on your post count at least it's not too high.
and you are not right. there are so many thing involved in your battery, controller, motor setup that have to work together that it's almost impossible to say those lyen controllers don't work based on that little experience.
i have at least 5 of them in different configurations and with several different motor - geared and dd motors. all of them work flawlessly. only trouble is running an old one (2xx board) with high voltage and geared motors. but this is solved for a long time now with 3xx boards.

I have a Lyen 12-fet Mark II sensored controller paired to Mac 8T . I had to reverse the phase and hall wires as suggested and right out of the box it works great from 20A-30A. Phase current limits are always set to 2.5X the amp load. No problems and the controller never gets warm or hot.

I think you're using a 6FET right? Why not go to a 9 or 12 FET?

I run a Lyen 6-FET Mini-Monster with my 8-pole(?) geared MXUS and it works great. It's in the senorless mode and seems to have gotten smarter over time.
It sync's right up at start 90% of the time with little input from me. I used to have to focus at start that I got the bike rolling forward. Now, it only seems to studder if I'm rolling backwards.

Bottom line - as you can see - ES is filled with builds using EM3EV and Lyen controllers on all manner of geared hubs. These Xie Chang controller work fine at these rpms.

Your situation is unique - the failures are all similar and are common to all the custom controllers you installed but the motor itself seems to work. I think the installation and controller programming are suspect.

• You seemed to be pulling high amps at lowish voltages - although it's unclear if there is a hill involved. I'm wondering if you had your phase wiring set on a false positive combination which would jack up the amps and limit the speed. This is also a recipe for blowing FETs.

• You complain about blowing FETs at low phase currents. You appear to have reprogrammed the controller - did you just enter a phase current of 70A or did you do it properly with an alternate value or alternate board selection? If you just banged in 70A for the actual board type of your controller, then your limit is way higher than than you think and blown FETs are a real possibility.
FWIW - I run 12FET Lyens with two BMC V2S (essentially MAC 8T) motors at 36A rated and 74A phase at 66v - the bike runs nice and smooth off the line, pulls like a mule, and hits 40+mph with no problem. The controllers have never given any problems (many thousands of miles of running). I am a happy camper :D

the simplest is to run a controller without any programming. Try greentime . they have 48v, 60v or 96v type of controller. you can also try Huatong as well. as for the cost + with shipping to your house wont be expensive , it save your pocket. I have been running my greentime controller few years back.

Ilio at e bikes sf repaired the gears in my BMC v4. Said he would get the gears warantyed and return my money... He never did.. In addition the motor, which at the time, was a new version, never ran the same... but it did run like the older version 3-5mph slower.. I always thought I should have marked my stuff when I send it to him as I thought it was not the same motor when I got it back.

Since I have been looking for others who have e bike stuff as these two seem like well they don't stand behind their products. and I my case I feel ripped off.

I have built a Yuba mundo bike. I have acquired a crystalyte crown tc100 motor for it from electric rider in texas... wonderful experience. no bull.. no pompus attitude
I'm using 72 volt battery from Nissan leaf. old controller without regen.
Crystalyte has a new controller 80 amp 72 volt and a 90 am 90 volt... thinking of trying those...
My Yuba mundo build now has toped 2200 miles in less than a year... Neither of these guys have been a help or a source for building it... If you have been having problems with products from either of these guys I recommend researching the internet and using another source...

Sources I HAVE found helpful:
Electric Rider in Texas for Crystalyte stuff
Electric Bike.com
BMS battery in china. for charger, battery, controller
I'm using Nissan leaf 66ah battery's (stop messing around with toy battery packs from clowns)
Kelly controller's/ kellycontroller.com
Grin technologies as ebikesca in Canada: NOT ebikessf in San Francisco and Ilio (still has not refunded me my warrantyed gear money after years now. instead he chooses to ignore me.
Schwalbe tires
San Diego electric bikes
Trek and Yuba bicycles
electric scooter.com

Bottom line is other sources are available.... I'm currently looking for another supplyer of controllers... any suggestions>?

I have a BMC V2 AND 9 FET 3077 Infineon Brushless LYEN Edition Controller running 12S 10mah LiPo pack. I have no issues. Mine works great so far although I haven't used it very much. I will say that I had to swap the phase wires around. I took a picture of my connector sent it Mr. Lyen he got back to me with how to properly map the phase wires. So in my cases blue to blue yellow to green and green to yellow on the phase side.

NOTE: I'm assuming you did something similar but if I hadn't sent him the pictures of my current configuration I would not have installed it properly.

Back