• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Mac hub help

Hey all, wondering if you could help me out.

My Mac motor seems to be engaged all the time. I took everything apart and opened up the motor, gears seem fine, not sure about the clutch as I didn't know how to dismantle that. Nothing is connected to the bike, the motor would normally freewheel at this point, but it seems as if the magnets are pulling toward each other slowing it down. Can that happen?

[youtube]gKYasli3PUM[/youtube]

Prior to this I may have fried something in the controller or over heat, everything shut down on me (volts dropped and everything shut off, after a few mins it turned back on). But this motor issue seems to be an unrelated event, nothing is even connected to it. This is a cellman kit to which I never had any prior problems, but I started keeping the controller more enclosed trying out new cases. So I think it may have overheat, never had to do trouble shooting before though.

That little video sounds like the clutch is locked.

If you took it apart and it seems free, you night of freed it up.

Was the video after the controller over heat or before?

I've had clutch lock up and when I took it apart they would free up try a little oil on the clutch, It worked for me befor replacing it with a new style.

Dan

Hi Cookie Monster, every now and again my MAC 10T does the same and I do the following to unstick the clutch.
This may or may not work for you:

Accelerate to max speed on flat, dry, non slippy ground, then apply the rear brake only hard, so that you stop as quick as you can without skidding the rear wheel.
Usually doing this 2 or 3 times unsticks the clutch :D

That looks identical to what my MAC 8T was doing. I contacted Cellman and he sent me a new replacement clutch. I managed to free up the original clutch after swapping it out with a technical tap from a hammer.

"MAC geared hub specs, teardown, and pics"
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=51310
file.php

file.php

My clutch locks up for a couple of days every couple of months. I've got a spare sitting in the shed ready to go on, but it always sorts itself before the weekend.

It does suck a little to ride when it's locked (like riding into a stiff headwind), but it still gets me to work and back OK.

Back