Magnetic brake switches....

Ykick

1 GW
Fairly obvious but if you wish to add eBrake switches yet keep your current levers or your bike uses integrated shifters/levers - here's what I did:

I'm not a technical writer or photographer, my apologies - but a pic or two and quick description this should be fairly self-explanatory:
magneticSwitch.jpg
Magnets.jpg
IMG_3615.JPG

The magnets and switches are very cheap on eBay. I merely used shrink-wrap to secure the sensor body to the brake noodle. You'll need to play around with it and perhaps use a small shim to hold it level and straight. Once attached it shouldn't interfere with removing the noodle.

One layer of shrink-wrap over the magnet and another layer around the magnet and brake cable. Hit it with just enough heat to hold it lightly for positioning. Once you have it "calibrated" a good blast from heat gun will tend to melt the shrink-wrap onto the cable and it should not need the tie-wrap seen in the photo. That was just a "safety" but isn't really needed. If it really worries you a little glue could be used but 2 layers of shrink-wrap seem to stick well to the cable following a good blast of heat.

Anyway, that's the idea. It works and works well IMO.

You can also use normally closed reed switches on the brake lever itself. With the magnet placed right below the reedswitch, it will be always open (since its normally closed), then it will close at the minor movement you make on the lever, so it will turn the motor off very quickly. You can also use it to turn on brake lights ...

mateusleo said:
You can also use normally closed reed switches on the brake lever itself. With the magnet placed right below the reedswitch, it will be always open (since its normally closed), then it will close at the minor movement you make on the lever, so it will turn the motor off very quickly. You can also use it to turn on brake lights ...

Thanks, any pics or thread links to what you describe? I could still use something for my hydro levers...

Ykick said:
mateusleo said:

Thanks, any pics or thread links to what you describe? I could still use something for my hydro levers...
There is a very good topic, and thats where i got the idea. http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=11760

Back