Making a DIY half-face respirator when stores are sold out

Thanks, good point. I'm open to suggestion. I meant the foam should be fairly soft to conform easily, closed cell makes sense, so the only cutting to shape it should be on the side that is glued to the hard plastic mask. I had meant to suggest that the silicone caulk for kitchens could be smeared on the exposed parts of open-cell foam (easy to source if closed-cell is unavailable), and it would cure and seal the foam as a coating.

That's a great piece of info about cast-able silicone being different. One youtube showed a 3D print of a plastic mould for casting silicone seals (to be used as an edge-seal for the hard 3D masks), and it definitely looked better than the silicone that I have used for home improvement projects.

spinningmagnets said:
I had meant to suggest the silicone caulk for kitchens could be smeared on the exposed parts of open-cell foam (easy to source if closed-cell is unavailable), and it would cure and seal the foam as a coating.
the foam will not be as flexible, so won't make as good a seal, if you silicone the open "sides" that are intended to compress.

you'd have to leave the sides (compressible areas) intact to get the best form-fitting properties.

That's a great piece of info about cast-able silicone being different. One youtube showed a 3D print of a plastic mould for casting silicone seals (to be used as an edge-seal for the hard 3D masks), and it definitely looked better than the silicone that I have used for home improvement projects.
it is very different. generally it is a platinum-cure two-part liquid, that can also have silicone oil added for even "gooier" or more flexible or squishier textures (like earlobes vs the rest of the ear, for instance).

long time back i cast soft user-specific grips for various things, and also made molds for resin-casting stuff, mostly scifi prop replicas or "ugly guns" and the like, directly used it to make some prosthetic makeup bits, "alien limbs" and stuff for sci fi conventions. i wasn't all that great at it, but it was fun, people liked the stuff i made. :)

my supplies came from https://www.smooth-on.com/ ; it's not cheap, but it's useful for quite a few things.

Think peoples minds are connected to their bodies more then we know. Wearing a mask can make people get sick from worrying about getting sick. Read more about this here sick from worry

It's called Illness anxiety disorder

Also worry about restricting breathing from all these hairbrain home made masks. Got no idea how to test how much a mask restricts breathing? Put on mask. Run around the block. See if ya turn blue?

I am pleased to introduce Marty's Happy Mask :) I have become brain damaged from breathing the smell of magic marker :(
happy_mask.jpg

h950s.jpg

tools.jpg

About me. Been trying not to breathe dust since the beginning of dust. Ever cut MDF with a table saw? After I figured out how to connect the shop vac to the table saw, I dreamed of a switch that would automatically turn the vac on when it sensed electricity going to the saw. Fired up the internet. Here it is. Runs for a few seconds after ya turn the saw off.
https://www.grizzly.com/products/Grizzly-i-Socket-Autoswitch-15A-110V/T25759
t25759-b93bc9f344b22d21d7b1181cb258caba.jpg

Ever cut concrete? I have been known to cut concrete blocks with a diamond blade on the table saw. Chop saw works with bricks. Cut concrete with a circular saw? The wise man told me. Spray the blade with water. Hose or garden sprayer. Just don't be a idiot and get it too wet. Need a second person to spray the water.

Always keep some dust masks in the truck. Long time ago. Can't remember how long ago? 10 years? Bought a box of 40 - 3M 8200HB2 dust masks from Sherwin-Williams paint store, if I remember correctly? Few years ago needed dust masks. Hire a bunch of guys to sand oak floors. We all need dust masks. Forgot where the dust masks were. Bought a box of 30 - Home Depot H950S dust masks. Now I got 2 boxes of dust masks. Home Depot H950S are better for magic marker art work because they don't have warnings printed on the center like the 3M 8200HB2 ones.
3m-disposable-respirators-8200hb2-c40-64_1000.jpg

NY just started a law requiring people to wear a mask when they go out. I don't like the government telling me what to do. Don't get me started on Seat Belt Laws. Motor Cycle Helmets. If some idiot don't want to wear a helmet on a motor cycle. I say let them crash and die. That way they won't reproduce.

Most horrible example of the government telling me what to wear. Town of Tonawanda Court. Hot summer night in August. People coming to court with short pants. Both men and women. Cop at the door tells people to go back home and change cloths or go to the store and buy some long pants. Nicely dressed old lady with some knee length short pants. She was so old she was not sure where she was. I told the girl in the window I thought her pants were very nice. She agreed and they let her into the court.
71t5lPTIHkL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

A good read on N95 masks
https://www.forbes.com/sites/brucelee/2020/03/29/making-an-n95-mask-for-covid-19-coronavirus-what-you-need-to-know/#66d099ea4989

That was an interesting read. Its that electrostatic property that makes re use of N 95's a problem. Its not just a simple filter.

Still think the best home brew may be a fan box with a hepa filter. But that of course, exhausts unfiltered air that you might be unknowingly contaminating with covid. Saw a couple in Walmart yesterday with real n 95 masks, with the exhaust vent. Thanks a lot, you protected yourself but not me.

Yes. The cloth masks and N95 masks with no exhaust valve will hold-in the almost invisible spray of a cough or sneeze. However, the poor edge-seal means that someone with these masks are not well protected from breathing-in some airborne mist, which is why the 6-foot social distancing is mentioned so often.

A college student will gladly have sex with a stranger from the same college that they met at a college bar, and they will use a condom. However, take those same two students and ask them individually if they would have sex with someone that they were attracted to, but then they found out that this person has herpes, chlamydia, or AIDs?...if that person used a condom. I can't think of anyone who would say yes. You have AIDs? No problem, we'll just use a condom.

There are two big problems with Covid-19. The first is that you can have it and be infecting everyone you talk to for two weeks before you show symptoms. The second problem is that the virus is highly aerosolized by simply breathing. Most upper respiratory infections usually need a cough or sneeze to infect those around you.

Also, there is a low health-crisis rate for young people and middle-age people (yes, I know sometimes even they die, but...). So most of the population has it and is spreading it because they don't personally "feel sick".

This is a highly contagious agent that is statistically killing off the elderly around the world. The 1918 flu (20+ million dead) was especially hard on children, but "most" seniors appeared to be immune, or very lightly affected. This Covid-19 is hard on seniors, especially if they have a secondary condition (smokes, Diabetes, overweight, high blood pressure, etc).

This graph is only for fatalities by age (I know this graph is from China and a couple months old, but the newer graphs from around the world are similar. This one was easy to read with less irrelevant clutter)

20860.jpeg

bc9b5k3qr6v41.png

COPPER BUTTON-POKER

My wife is "at risk", so I do the grocery shopping once a week. I noticed at the ATM, gasoline,and grocery store I had to push buttons or touch a touch-screen. I have plenty of thin gloves from way before the Covid-19, but to make my supply last and to help others with information, I made a copper button-poker.

Copper has a very strong "anti-bacterial" property. I took a common BIC pen from a "ten pack" at the dollar store, cut a 1/4 inch off of the tail, Inserted an inch of 12-ga solid copper wire from Romex 12-3 scrap cable (used to wire 120V AC in houses). Then I put a second cap over it which is marked by a felt marker. One end is still an ink-pen, and the other end is a copper tip with a cover.

Since I was blocking-off the ink-tube top vent-hole with the copper, I poked a vent hole just below the copper with a razor so the ink would still flow

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B087276ZFY/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1&psc=1
EnlaMorea Cool 3D Animal Print Bandana for Men Women Neck Gaiter Scarf Dust Wind Balaclava Headband
Color: Happy Dog
$12.99 & FREE Shipping
happy_dog.jpg

https://frontpage.pch.com/video/BVZKWlnO/news?ref=news
Dr. Theresa Tam, Canada's chief public health officer, is now recommending that Canadians wear masks in public as an "added layer of protection" whenever physical distancing is not possible.

Well its not new, masks have been recommended for awhile now so its just a reminder spun in different wording.
Dr Theresa Tam, Canadian official (with an accent), was appointed to the position of Chief Public Health Officer of Canada and head of the Public Health Agency of Canada (PHAC). Tam acted as Chief Public Health Officer of Canada after the retirement of Gregory W. Taylor in December 2016 until her formal appointment by Canadian Minister of Health Jane Philpott in 2017.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/795268155/smiling-face-mask-cover-washable-face?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=face+printed+on+mask&ref=sr_gallery-1-42&organic_search_click=1&bes=1
il_1588xN.2262157274_hxio.jpg

marty said:
https://www.etsy.com/listing/795268155/smiling-face-mask-cover-washable-face?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&

I lost my extra thick winter hat last week, now I know where it went.

What's the opinion on full SCBA style-masks with spinningmagnet's HEPA filter idea? Pretty aggressive and gas-masky, but it would avoid the problems of forming a good mouth seal and have an easy connect/disconnect system with established manufacturing and easy cleaning. From my fire experience they aren't bad to wear for long periods.

AV-3000-HT_4-Strap_1300w-e1524158433811.png

Back