Man Reportedly Killed In Cellphone Lipo Explosion

xyster

10 MW
http://crave.cnet.com/8301-1_105-9824853-1.html
It was reported that the man was found lying beside an electronic shovel at a quarry where he worked. A co-worker described him as bleeding from the nose and having a phone with a melted battery in his left shirt pocket. A professor from the Chungbuk National University examined the body and speculated that a phone battery explosion, which punctured his heart and lungs, was the main cause of death. He added that the victim's ribs and spine were broken.

Many of us carry significantly more lithium cobalt firepower....since the risk of occurrence is very low, and the risk of seriously bad consequences from an occurrence still just moderate, if it didn't cost probably a hundred bucks or more I'd also paste the inside of my battery boxes with kevlar tire liners, and figure out some additional way to reduce the risk from flying wood shards and metal screw shrapnel.

Any better ideas for super cheap battery box explosion protection?

10-ply duct tape maybe? :D

You might load your packs in (two) 3" steel pipes on each side of your bike's top tube, with hard-caps on the front and soft-caps on the back. When they decide to blow, you can get home faster.

Or, reverse the caps and take out some SUVs while holding the brakes on.

I watched a video. It's a little pizza-bag. OK, maybe a bit more robust.

Aint big enough for XY's ride... fosho. He's carrying enough ordinance to scuttle the QEII.

TylerDurden said:
Aint big enough for XY's ride... fosho. He's carrying enough ordinance to scuttle the QEII.

Funny... :D

The pipe idea sound scary. You have to be careful not to over tighten the cap or you'll have shrapnel flying at your groing. having a pipe strap to your bike with wires running out might resemble a pipe bomb.

the lipo bag is ment for small, RC batteries. up to 2 amp, but in the 11.1 volt range. at that size they usualy don't truely explode, they just vent and burn. The bag works to localize any potential fire, but couldn't stop an explosion.

for Ebike sized Lipo, there realy would be no way to contain the explosion. there are videos out there of small lipos cracking cinderblocks when they burst, with the ends of the blocks left open. those being 44Wh batteries, imagine what would happen if a 500wh battery exploded. All that can be done on an Ebike for protection is to try to give the explosive energy an easy path to go. mounting hard points between you and the battery wouldn't be a bad idea. not putting things that can become shrapnal between you and the battery would probably be smart as well.

But I think the danger is far over stated. I drive an old truck with lapbelts only, and the 15 gallon gastank in the caab behind the seat. no colapsable steering colum, no crumple zones, no air bags, drum brakes for wet stopping, and a suspension that rolls and rocks like a rowboat on a stormy sea. Do I worry about it? No. its safer than my Motorbike was. its safer than my MG was. Its far safer than riding a bicycle on the street in trafic is. Safety is relitive.

Must have been the Mossad.. 8)

DK

Back