marksuttonbike's spam articles

Having a bicycle breaklight is an awesome feature. But, as innovative as this system is, I believe this brings Ebikes closer to the scrutiny of politics and the eyes of DMV regulations. Which means stricter rules, insurance, and registration/liscensing fees. :(

I'm sensing the feeling that North American's neglected view of Ebikes which allows us access to mid & large powerful bikes with little to no repercussion from authority is coming to an end.

Having a bicycle breaklight is an awesome feature. But, as innovative as this system is, I believe this brings Ebikes closer to the scrutiny of politics and the eyes of DMV regulations. Which means stricter rules, insurance, and registration/liscensing fees. :(

I'm sensing the feeling that North American's neglected view of Ebikes which allows us access to mid & large powerful bikes with little to no repercussion from authority is coming to an end.

I agree, the wild west of ebikes is going to get tamed eventually.

tigcross said:

I agree, the wild west of ebikes is going to get tamed eventually.
Not here, not anytime soon. The electric revolution is going on with a free pass. 8)

melodious said:
Having a bicycle breaklight is an awesome feature. But, as innovative as this system is, I believe this brings Ebikes closer to the scrutiny of politics and the eyes of DMV regulations.(

I dunno--I've had brake lights (and turn signals,etc) on my bikes for years, and all it's done is helped traffic around me actually know what I'm doing, since practically nobody (even LEOs) know what hand signals are.

I find that it's the idiots and asshats on the road that tend to cause increased regulations of such things.

Another cause of increased regulations is businesses that want to sell stuff in an area that either doesnt' have a legal way to do it, or not a clear one, or they want to change the law so it only applies to their kind of stuff (see Segway's poking around in various states' laws for examples).

I have been a bike person my whole life until 20 years ago, then job and pressure of life got in the way along with about 100 lbs extra. 3 years ago I built an e-bike and am down 50 + lbs and feel great. starting at only 2 miles of PAS a day I now do 10-15 PAS every day the rain does not come. I am 67.

Only cheating the devil, live longer and healthier Mwhaaahaaaahaaa

E-geezer said:

Wise answer sir!

E-geezer said:

... and weathier. (Versus urban options for transportation.) :mrgreen:

Mark Sutton: as a courtesy to all of us here, whenever you post links to articles on your website, how about also posting the text of your article here.

Not helping your SEO any to repeatedly linkspam us either, so you may as well stop. Once does the job, twice does not double it.

You won't read this anyway, you only come here to spam, not discuss stuff.

... and some folks LOVE cheating... Versus those driving to work so they can afford their car loan payments, so they can afford to drive to work... :lol:

LockH said:
... and some folks LOVE cheating... Versus those driving to work so they can afford their car loan payments, so they can afford to drive to work... :lol:

Car payments? Haven't had one of those since 1982. :wink:

^^ HA. See? Your cheating! (What folks say to rationalize their own irrational behaviors...)

I heard this once commuting back home from a bicyclist on the other side of the street going the opposite way. It was "cheater!" At first I didn't know exactly what he said from my wind noise as I rolled down the street on my own e-bike. I would have said "Cheating? Depends on what game you're playing!" But we were long separated by distance before I could think of anything in time.

Regular bicyclists can be the most insecure snobs around. I don't know hang ups they have but it's not good.

Funny thing is half those lycras drove their bikes to start/end of their bike ride on the back of a car. You'll find them at the end of the easy section, douchemobiles with bumper racks.

I was checking out the new bike trails here today and pulled off onto a lookout where an an elderly Lycra road bike guy was sitting on a bench. He looked over at me and my bike and told me I was a cheater. I nodded and replied that I might be a cheater but since I am disabled and in poor health my bike allows me to get out and enjoy the trails and without it I’d be sitting at home doing nothing.
I followed up by telling him how much fun I had doing the electric conversion in my garage, even making the battery pack myself and making YouTube videos in the process.
He looked at the ground and said nothing.
(His Lycra cycling outfit looked nice).

Bobw said:
I was checking out the new bike trails here today and pulled off onto a lookout where an an elderly Lycra road bike guy was sitting on a bench. He looked over at me and my bike and told me I was a cheater. I nodded and replied that I might be a cheater but since I am disabled and in poor health my bike allows me to get out and enjoy the trails and without it I’d be sitting at home doing nothing.
I followed up by telling him how much fun I had doing the electric conversion in my garage, even making the battery pack myself and making YouTube videos in the process.
He looked at the ground and said nothing.
(His Lycra cycling outfit looked nice).

Sounds like maybe he was jealous, but you sure he wasn't joking in good fun? I've got friends who will definitely tell me I'm cheating, but just in jest. If he was serious, well then, f*** him!

My take on e-bikes being cheating is that, hell no it's not cheating! As long as you're not pretending to be something you're not, it's zero percent cheating and you're absolutely right that it helps people get out and get a decent workout while enjoying scenery. That's really most of it...most of the folks who want e-bikes over manual bikes for health reasons would have no trouble getting in a good workout on a non-electric low-geared bicycle going 2 mph, but what the heck fun is that?

I'm young and in good fitness overall, but for medical reasons beyond my control I've decided it's a bit irresponsible for me to be behind the wheel of a vehicle. Those same medical reasons are also dangerous on a bike, but injuring other people is much less of a risk, and I'm willing to chance my own safety to be able to have a full life and almost full independence.

And beat em badly in the drag race from the light. :twisted:

My wife feels it cheating, wont ride the e bikes. She rides about 200 miles a year, while I tend to log about 2000, mostly pedaling, but spinning. Who's getting the most cardio out of the bike?

Her, 200 miles at 5 mph, so call it 40 hours x 100w effort. 4000 watt hours of cardio.

Mine, 2000 miles at 20 mph, so call it 100 hours of 50w effort. 5000 watt hours of cardio. But if I was capable of doing 100w like most people, it would be 10,000 watt hours per year. I ride a lot more hours primarily because at 15-20 mph its fun. at 5 mph, its just boring. And I'm just too sick to ride 15 mph without motor.

So even "cheating" which I definitely do with my puny, sick old man 50w effort, I still get in more cardio a year than she does, because I ride 60 hours more a year. My rides are much longer, and more often than hers. I think more time at whatever your comfortable effort level is makes a difference. I definitely feel a health benefit, and the e bike riding is a big part of keeping my strength up to the puny level I maintain. Riding a real bike is too hard, and would simply destroy my stamina, with my illness. Even with a motor, I overdo at some point every ride. The ability to just motor without pedaling part of the ride is crucial to my strength building. I have to avoid hurting my ATP levels in my mitochondria. But at the same time, sitting in bed tells my body not to make more ATP. Its a vicious catch 22 of a disease. (post viral fatigue)

Before I got sick, I rode even more, averaging around 400 hours a year of spinning at 100w. My stamina at that time was getting close to being as good as when I climbed mountains to ski back down. I "cheated" myself at 50, back into almost the shape I was in when I was 30.

Back